Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
harlandski

Default Minimum of 1 damage for all weapons?

I've got the "Two Complete Games in One Box" version of Melee. The very last sentence of the Melee booklet data "Since his sword will do at least 1 damage, Wulf is a goner". Flavius was using a gladius (shortsword), which is listed as 2d-1. I suppose this would always do one damage, as the minimum you can roll on two dice is two. But I'd like to know if there is a general assumption that a weapon will always do one damage on a hit (not counting for armour). So Dagger, Main Gauche, Javelin, Thrown rock, Sling, and Small bow all have the potential of zero (or negative) damage. Is this the intention of the rules - that such weapons sometimes do no damage, or is there an assumed 1 damage per successful hit?
harlandski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Minimum of 1 damage for all weapons?

Yes, any weapon with a subtractive modifier equal to or more than its dice damage has the potential to deal zero damage on a hit--even a double or triple damage hit.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
larsdangly

It's important that zero mean zero, not 1. Otherwise there are a bunch of 1-die attacks that should be significantly different in average value but end up being closely similar.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:21 AM   #4
harlandski

Ok, thank you for your replies. About doubling / tripling @Shostak, so I take it the results of rolls are doubled/tripled (or halved etc), not the number of dice and modifiers?
harlandski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:33 AM   #5
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlandski View Post
Ok, thank you for your replies. About doubling / tripling @Shostak, so I take it the results of rolls are doubled/tripled (or halved etc), not the number of dice and modifiers?
Yes it's the total rolled that is doubled etc. So if your rolled total is zero, it's still zero on a double or triple.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
Skarg

We used to double and triple the number of dice instead. We enjoyed the feel, drama, and sound of rolling more dice.

There is a game effect of doing that, of course, on the possible and likely numbers you tend to get. (Multiplying the number of dice is less likely to get a very low or very high result, and it also means it's possible to get amounts that aren't multiples of 2 or 3.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Oneiros

I've seen one house rule that double damage simply adds a d6, triple adds 2d6. Makes things slightly less lethal, and negates the "Critical Zero!" scenario.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #8
JustAnotherJarhead

I always liked the More Dice approach. watching 6d6 get rolled on a broadsword crit...is sheer entertainment!
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post
I always liked the More Dice approach. watching 6d6 get rolled on a broadsword crit...is sheer entertainment!
Yep! And hearing the dice-rumble of doom!
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #10
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
I've seen one house rule that double damage simply adds a d6, triple adds 2d6. Makes things slightly less lethal, and negates the "Critical Zero!" scenario.
Isn't the Uber-dagger powerful enough already?