Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
GodlessRose

Default [Sorcery] Stop Bleeding and Awaken Spells?

I would like to write up Sorcery equivalents of the spells Awaken and Stop Bleeding from Magic, but I'm not sure how.

Stop Bleeding can stop bleeding (naturally), and also stabilize a mortal wound. I thought about an Affliction with Injury Tolerance, but I figure the bleeding or mortally wounded state would return when the Affliction wore off. The Healing advantage can stop bleeding, but I don't see anything in the description about mortal wounds.

Awaken counteracts stunning and the effects of being below 1/3 FP (provided FP is still above 0), and gives sleeping and unconscious subjects a HT roll to recover. I guess an Affliction with Doesn't Sleep and Injury Tolerance would work, but I wonder if there's a better way. I'm not sure how to price the Injury Tolerance, regardless.

Any thoughts?
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:23 AM   #2
Celti

Default Re: [Sorcery] Stop Bleeding and Awaken Spells?

I did Stop Bleeding as Injury Tolerance (No Blood, No Vitals; Only for bleeding and mortal wounds, -60%). I figured that wounds not starting up with killing you again after the duration expires is simply a special effect, given the completely transitory nature of the statuses anyway.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlessRose View Post
Stop Bleeding can stop bleeding (naturally), and also stabilize a mortal wound. I thought about an Affliction with Injury Tolerance, but I figure the bleeding or mortally wounded state would return when the Affliction wore off. The Healing advantage can stop bleeding, but I don't see anything in the description about mortal wounds.
As Celti suggests.

Quote:
Awaken counteracts stunning and the effects of being below 1/3 FP (provided FP is still above 0), and gives sleeping and unconscious subjects a HT roll to recover. I guess an Affliction with Doesn't Sleep and Injury Tolerance would work, but I wonder if there's a better way. I'm not sure how to price the Injury Tolerance, regardless.
And that's pretty much what I'd do - Doesn't Sleep + Immunity to Mental Stunning [15].

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
GodlessRose

Thanks. I don't understand what No Vitals does here, though. How is that connected to mortal wounds?
Old 02-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
Celti

Quote:
Thanks. I don't understand what No Vitals does here, though. How is that connected to mortal wounds?
Well, mortal wounds aren't a bleeding thing, they're a separate rule, and No Blood doesn't do anything to help you with them. I thought about it for a bit, and figured that No Vitals was the closest trait to helping avert them; you could go with something different if you'd like. Perhaps ten levels of limited Hard to Kill, or such.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
GodlessRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Well, mortal wounds aren't a bleeding thing, they're a separate rule, and No Blood doesn't do anything to help you with them. I thought about it for a bit, and figured that No Vitals was the closest trait to helping avert them; you could go with something different if you'd like. Perhaps ten levels of limited Hard to Kill, or such.
Oh, okay. Powers gives us the option to create new Injury Tolerances, though. I would just call it No Mortal Wounds or somesuch.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #7
Celti

Quote:
Oh, okay. Powers gives us the option to create new Injury Tolerances, though. I would just call it No Mortal Wounds or somesuch.
If you go through Sorcery, you'll notice it does a lot of variants of and limitations on existing traits rather than inventing new ones (Haircut, Blight, Preserve Fuel all come to mind right off the bat). I was following that trend.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:52 AM   #8
GodlessRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
If you go through Sorcery, you'll notice it does a lot of variants of and limitations on existing traits rather than inventing new ones (Haircut, Blight, Preserve Fuel all come to mind right off the bat). I was following that trend.
Like I said, Powers explicitly states that GMs can introduce new forms of Injury Tolerance (p. 52), so I don't think that is too bold a move. It's a little like adding new Codes of Honor. Those three spells go at least that far with their innovations. Haircut required the introduction of a new limitation (at least, I don't think that one has been published before), and Blight and Preserve Fuel introduced what are effectively new traits, with effects defined in the spell descriptions. Giving them names like "Unaging, Variant" just makes them more intuitive.

I'm glad you drew my attention to Blight and Preserve Fuel, though. I hadn't noticed the "Trait X, Variant" bits before. That's an interesting approach to dealing with some problematic effects.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #9
GodlessRose

Say, is there a limitation that applies a penalty to die rolls to use an ability, but only under specified circumstances? I wanted to give healing spells penalties to treat certain conditions, but I'm not sure of the proper way to write that up.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Say, is there a limitation that applies a penalty to die rolls to use an ability, but only under specified circumstances? I wanted to give healing spells penalties to treat certain conditions, but I'm not sure of the proper way to write that up.
If you're basing them on the Healing advantage, penalties are already built in for eg. diseases. Other than that, I'm not sure it's actually worth much, as long as some other things get bonuses. I don't think it's worth more than a point or two of discount, as an Incompetence would give you a -5 to everything and it's only a quirk.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote