Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #81
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
One last option, I could see would be making Path skills easier levels (E/IQ) or (A/IQ) and having their usage give Corruption Points. Another idea that just struck me would be to be able to get a bonus to your Energy Accumulation rolls at the expense of gaining Corruption at some rate.
I would just use the Threshold as corruption for that last option
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #82
demonsbane

I'm very glad to see the release of this book about ritual magic, along with the recent Martial Arts: Technical Grappling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I've seen one or two authors saying they're working on or turned in articles for Pyramid.
I'll keep an eye open for that.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #83
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would just use the Threshold as corruption for that last option
I guess you could go that way. I was just typing anything that came to mind as a way to benefit RPM casting at the cost of gaining Corruption.

And bringing up Threshold Magic, it shouldn't be too difficult to merge RPM and it, either. That's probably another article C.R. has stashed away somewhere for Pyramid. Oh for the month we get Pyramid #3.x - Ritual Path Magic . . .

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #84
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
And bringing up Threshold Magic, it shouldn't be too difficult to merge RPM and it, either. That's probably another article C.R. has stashed away somewhere for Pyramid. Oh for the month we get Pyramid #3.x - Ritual Path Magic . . .
I hoard them like a old man who is concerned he might need those old pill bottles some day.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #85
Faolyn

Speaking of Natural Energy, is it just me or does 1 point per acre sem awfully low? I mean, sacrificing a goat will get you five or six points right there.

My initial, blue-skying thought would be to assign an acre of land a number of energy "HP" based on how fertile it is. Each energy-draining ritual permanently depletes it by one HP, making it less life-giving. After all the energy has been drained, then it's ruined.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #86
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
Speaking of Natural Energy, is it just me or does 1 point per acre sem awfully low? I mean, sacrificing a goat will get you five or six points right there.

My initial, blue-skying thought would be to assign an acre of land a number of energy "HP" based on how fertile it is. Each energy-draining ritual permanently depletes it by one HP, making it less life-giving. After all the energy has been drained, then it's ruined.
Bruno and I both posted the same thing about it being too severe a penalty for not enough gain.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #87
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I've interpreted blighted land as becoming desecrated, but you are correct - the rules seem to leave it blank.
Blighted != desecrated. The two are unrelated terms.

Quote:
Blighted land - created by a caster who wants to drain the land for energy. The thing is it doesn't say you can't continue draining energy from the land, so as written you could keep draining from the blighted area.
Right. You've blighted the land in a mundane way, screwing up crops, making it darker and eviler, etc. It's an unabashed way for the GM to add some ominous feels to an encounter with an evil wizard.

Quote:
It also doesn't give a way to actually fix the land that I can see.
You'd have to come up with some sort of ritual to restore the land; anything your GM agrees will work, will.

Quote:
Desecrated Areas - can be created by the caster, makes it impossible to gather ambient energy. Can be fixed by a caster.
Yep.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #88
Kallatari

Quote:
Bruno and I both posted the same thing about it being too severe a penalty for not enough gain.
Personally, I was looking at it from the other perspective: I find using natural energy too powerful a weapon for very little penalty. Send a ritual adept close to an enemy village/stronghold at night, do a quick ritual, draw 5-10 energy to kill off 5 acres of land... poof, that land is now useless. All existing crops are gone, and it will never grow food again. Heck, it's a great thing to do when besieging a city or stronghold. The actual ritual itself is almost insignificant in comparison.

I would most certainly add some sort of Corruption rules, or require some sort of skill roll to make this happen (as someone else posted). Otherwise, it's effectively a free and self-powered "Blight Lands" rituals that you don't even have to succeed to make happen.

Such abilities, if easily achievable, would IMO quickly makes mages public enemies to everyone - because there will always be that one idiot who abuses it - and likely result in their outright persecution. A true witch hunt.

PS: very good book.
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #89
PK

Quote:
Considering that, unless you do it in the middle of a farm, the effects of draining natural energy are mainly cosmetic, I definitely didn't want it to give that much energy! It's basically free energy for the bad guys if they don't mind the heroes figuring out that "something is rotten in the state of Denmark." Bear that in mind before you crank up the energy-to-acreage ratio in your own games.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #90
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Right. You've blighted the land in a mundane way, screwing up crops, making it darker and eviler, etc. It's an unabashed way for the GM to add some ominous feels to an encounter with an evil wizard.
Doesn't that make it too easy if blighting the land is your goal? You don't have to even succeed at whatever ritual you are doing it for, just draw the energy right?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, magic, ritual path magic