Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-21-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default I must break you!

Has anyone else developed item breakage (aka. sundering) rules for TFT? I know there is coverage in ITL for a few specific scenarios (doors, for example), but nothing comprehensive.

In my own game, I created some intentionally broad rules for item durability because I didn't want keep an extensive list of 'hit points' for every object that PCs might run across. So instead of giving each item a numerical ST value, I assign them one of the following durability categories or ratings. Then, when a character wants to specifically target an object (using the aimed shot rules, typically) they also must succeed on a ST-based 'sundering' roll. The number of dice rolled is dictated by the item's durability rating as follows...

Weak - roll 2d to break/destroy
Average - 3d
Strong - 4d
Very Strong - 5d
Nigh-Invulnerable (Spoon!) - 6d

Things like vials, cloth, or parchment would be characterized as 'weak', wooden-hafted weapons, leather straps or a typical unreinforced door might be 'average' and steel would be 'strong' or 'very strong'. Magic, fine crafting or special materials could then adjust the base rating upwards by one or more levels. In addition, certain weapons will provide bonuses to this roll.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: I must break you!

c.f. Hexagram #4 page 16.

It's best to just use the door rules in case a goblin witch casts Lock-5 on the chains you're bound with.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
c.f. Hexagram #4 page 16.
David's rules are great if you want that level of detail. I'm going for something much simpler.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
Skarg

Not for TFT. I'd tend to shift briefly to GURPS rules if I wanted to handle something like that.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Not for TFT. I'd tend to shift briefly to GURPS rules if I wanted to handle something like that.
As you know, I prefer to keep GURPS out of my TFT (not an easy task when trying to add a bit more depth to the rules, I'll admit), but I would be interested to know more about those.