Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
Bradix

Default Supers Char

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to build the best version of Colossus with 1600 Points and -100 Dis and -5 Quirks.... I have not played in Years and want to play a super strong and durable tank style char.... Thanks!!!
Bradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
naloth

Default Re: Supers Char

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradix View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to build the best version of Colossus with 1600 Points and -100 Dis and -5 Quirks.... I have not played in Years and want to play a super strong and durable tank style char.... Thanks!!!
It depends on the rules in play, but the G:Supers suggestion would be:

ST 20 (Base Human Form) [100]

Altered Form (Reduced Time, 3 seconds +40%): Body of Metal (15 * 1.4 + 90% of 175 pts) [179]
IT:DR/100 (Only while in Altered Form -10%) [270]
Super ST +16 (Super Effort +300%; Only while in Altered Form -10%) [624]

A power modifier is also appropriate if he shared the typical mutant vulnerabilities to having his powers turned off or being detected even when in human form.

Starting total = 1173. The remaining points can be spent however you want to customize him. Good attributes, bonus reaction, skills, and a few other things come to mind.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
Phantasm

Colossus also has a high Artist (Painting) skill, as he once made a living at it in New York City. He'd have Farming and possibly Driving (Construction Equipment) (really "Farm Equipment", IMO, for large-scale tractors, harvesters, and combines) from his background being born and raised in a farming collective somewhere in Siberia.

And he's much more durable with higher DR in his armored up form than Body of Iron would indicate. I would be more inclined to give him more DR and less IT:DR (/10 instead of /100) but YMMV. I seem to recall he's shrugged off military rocket launchers, so his DR may have a few levels of Hardened on it as well.

This varies by creative team, but at one point he was immune to Rogue's power theft touch when armored up. In other creative teams, she affected him without any problems.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Colossus also has a high Artist (Painting) skill, as he once made a living at it in New York City. He'd have Farming and possibly Driving (Construction Equipment) (really "Farm Equipment", IMO, for large-scale tractors, harvesters, and combines) from his background being born and raised in a farming collective somewhere in Siberia.
Yup, he has a pretty diverse skill list and I'd give him a "Gifted Painter" type talent. Of course, this and other specific questions depend if you're playing a Super that has Colossus like powers, is similar to Colossus, or actually Colossus.

Quote:
And he's much more durable with higher DR in his armored up form than Body of Iron would indicate. I would be more inclined to give him more DR and less IT:DR (/10 instead of /100) but YMMV. I seem to recall he's shrugged off military rocket launchers, so his DR may have a few levels of Hardened on it as well.
Cosmic: Rounds Down (if allowed) is much more economical for shrugging off LAWs and Tank Shells. DR is just expensive even if you go the CWA route.

Quote:
This varies by creative team, but at one point he was immune to Rogue's power theft touch when armored up. In other creative teams, she affected him without any problems.
In X-men canon she should be able to affect him just fine. Colossus is affected by Leech, cerebro, and other mutant things. Besides, Rogue sapped the Thing, after all.

Last edited by naloth; 07-21-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
It depends on the rules in play, but the G:Supers suggestion would be:

ST 20 (Base Human Form) [100]

Altered Form (Reduced Time, 3 seconds +40%): Body of Metal (15 * 1.4 + 90% of 175 pts) [179]
IT:DR/100 (Only while in Altered Form -10%) [270]
Super ST +16 (Super Effort +300%; Only while in Altered Form -10%) [624]

A power modifier is also appropriate if he shared the typical mutant vulnerabilities to having his powers turned off or being detected even when in human form.

Starting total = 1173. The remaining points can be spent however you want to customize him. Good attributes, bonus reaction, skills, and a few other things come to mind.
Upon reflection, Growth rather than AF would handle his transformation. It doesn't give you an alternate appearance, though, so people might recognize you as a big shiny metal version of the same person.

ST 20 [100] (Even in "normal" human form) [100]

Growth 1 (Transform from 6'6" to 7'5", 250 lbs -> 500 lbs) [10]

Body becomes metal advantages:
Claws (Blunt; Steel Fists/Feet add +1 damage / die for punching and kicking) [3]
Doesn't Breathe (Only while Grown -10%) [18]
DR 10 (Cannot Wear Armor -40%; Only while Grown -10%) [25]
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards (Only while Grown -10%) [27]
Injury Tolerance (No Blood; Only while Grown -10%) [5]
IT:DR/100 (Cosmic: Ignores Fractional Damage under 1 point +50%; Only while Grown -10%) [420]
Perk: Can wear non-protective clothing (Colossus is polite, regardless of how modest he is) [1]
Perk: Striking Surface [1]
Pressure Support 3 (Only while Grown -10%) [14]
Sealed(Only while Grown -10%) [14]
Super ST +16 (Super Effort +300%; Only while Grown -10%; ST 36/1,020; BL 260lbs / 104 tons; Thr 4d-1 / 103) [624]
Vacuum Support (Only while Grown -10%) [5]

Brawling DX+3 [8]

Total so far: 1267 points leaving quite a bit of room for further customization (attributes, other advantages, skills, talents, higher levels on abilities, etc).

I dropped a few things from "Body of Metal" because they seemed redundant. Homogeneous seems unnecessary when you already subtract 10 from any damage, divide by 100, and ignore any injury less than 1 point.

For SuperST, Colossus will need a nice fatigue pool. Every use of the higher values costs 1 fatigue. Even so he still does 4d+7 with his "normal" punches. For 1 fatigue he can punch for 103d+206 damage instead.

If his abilities can be taken away in your campaign, you can further add a power modifier to decrease the base cost of everything.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Bradix

Well I told my GM I wanted to play Colossus and he said I can play a char like him but not him directly.... so I guess How would I be able to make the most durable and strong char possible... preferably with body of metal always on and even my vitals and inside has full DR and such.... thanks for all the help so far!!! I didn't know the farmer part of Colossus!!!
Bradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

You forgot the Mutant (-10%) modifer. I also think that IT:DR 100 is excessive, Colossus is not that tough, and would have IT:DR 20 instead. You are also missing Doesn't Eat and Drink, Weakness (Antarctic Vibranium), and his involuntary shifting back to human form when he is exposed to Antarctic Vibranium. In addition, CWA precludes clothing, so you need the Nonprotective Clothing Perk.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
You forgot the Mutant (-10%) modifer. I also think that IT:DR 100 is excessive, Colossus is not that tough, and would have IT:DR 20 instead. You are also missing Doesn't Eat and Drink, Weakness (Antarctic Vibranium), and his involuntary shifting back to human form when he is exposed to Antarctic Vibranium. In addition, CWA precludes clothing, so you need the Nonprotective Clothing Perk.
I suspected you missed that he's not playing an Marvel character in an X-Men campaign. Rather, he wants a character that's like Colossus like (big, tough, strong tank).

I noted in both messages that a power modifier might be appropriate for the campaign.

Colossus is (IME) tougher than he is strong. He's a veritable tank that can also punch rather than the other way around. He tends to get tossed around rather than "broken".

Doesn't Eat/Drink is a bit of a question since he does both.

Antarctic Vibranium and Adamantium should be gadgets that have special abilities.

Last, I included the Clothing Perk where I took CWA.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradix View Post
Well I told my GM I wanted to play Colossus and he said I can play a char like him but not him directly.... so I guess How would I be able to make the most durable and strong char possible... preferably with body of metal always on and even my vitals and inside has full DR and such.... thanks for all the help so far!!! I didn't know the farmer part of Colossus!!!
DR is more like a shell covering your interior. It's armor.

Injury Tolerance tends to represent a tougher interior. Homogeneous, for example, removes any chance of someone getting a vitals hit. No eyes, no brain, and no blood mean that attacks that go against those just don't work. Injury Reduction (IT:DR) divides all injury by a certain amount (hence the IT:DR/100 above).

Various other advantages give you various immunities. Doesn't Breathe means you can't suffocate. Pressure Support and Vacuum Support ignore various environmental hazards. Immunity to Metabolic hazards gives you a machine like resistance to heat, cold, poison, etc.

Tags
supers