Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Belt dagger limit

ITL 65: "A limited amount of gear can be carried on the belt, where it is out of the way but can be readied quickly. You may carry up to six items on your belt. No more than two may be “large” (over 2 lbs.)."

Since daggers (or flasks) aren't over 2 lbs you can carry six on the belt, right?

ITL 107: "A character can have two secondary weapons and/or shields slung at his side. Daggers or flasks on the belt are also secondary weapons."

I.e. only two daggers can be worn on the belt.

Which is correct?
Old 04-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Belt dagger limit

The items slung at the side are slung, not worn on the belt.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
hcobb

So you can have six daggers on the belt and two additional daggers slung?
Old 04-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
tomc

I think it's realistic to have 20 or 30 daggers, if they're flat and made to stack compactly in a belt loop or holster. But as a GM, I'd make the character have to deal with the social repercussions of looking like a doofus.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
JustAnotherJarhead

ITL pg. 107 3rd parapgraph , right column:

" A secondary weapon (not Ready, not in the hand) is a weapon slung at the Character's side. It takes one turn to switch from ready weapon to secondary weapon; the secondary weapon then becomes ready and can be used next turn.

A character can have TWO SECONDARY weapons and/or Shields slung at his side. DAGGERS or Flask ON THE BELT are ALSO secondary weapons. "

It's clear to me that you are quite limited as to how many weapons you can have slung or on a belt.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #6
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post
ITL pg. 107 3rd parapgraph , right column:

" A secondary weapon (not Ready, not in the hand) is a weapon slung at the Character's side. It takes one turn to switch from ready weapon to secondary weapon; the secondary weapon then becomes ready and can be used next turn.

A character can have TWO SECONDARY weapons and/or Shields slung at his side. DAGGERS or Flask ON THE BELT are ALSO secondary weapons. "

It's clear to me that you are quite limited as to how many weapons you can have slung or on a belt.
My reading would be 2 secondary weapon (any kind) slung on the side, + up to 6 on the belt (only dagger or flask).
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
Skarg

I think it's up to a contest of GM discretion versus player ingenuity to determine how many daggers can be carried in what way, and what it takes to ready them. The GM always wins, but may be swayed. However:

* At least two weapons on a belt are clearly allowed.

* Looks to me like you can have 2 weapons slung, plus up to 4 others if they are 2 lbs or less. (But GMs who don't like this may think the limit for weapons that can be readied without difficulty is 2.)

* Other clever places might be allowed in addition to that, if the GM is convinced, but the GM may assign extra difficulty readying them.

(I also notice that GURPS has slightly different guidance on the same subject, including a bit I thought was in TFT, but isn't, which says, "Theoretically, you could have a dozen weapons hanging at your belt or scabbarded about your person. In practice, anybody who carries more than one or two extra weapons (plus a dagger) is usually being unrealistic, or just silly. The GM is the final arbiter.")
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #8
oldwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ITL 65: "A limited amount of gear can be carried on the belt, where it is out of the way but can be readied quickly. You may carry up to six items on your belt. No more than two may be “large” (over 2 lbs.)."

Since daggers (or flasks) aren't over 2 lbs you can carry six on the belt, right?

ITL 107: "A character can have two secondary weapons and/or shields slung at his side. Daggers or flasks on the belt are also secondary weapons."

I.e. only two daggers can be worn on the belt.

Which is correct?
It strikes me both are correct and page 107 sets a limit on what page 65 says. Essentially you can have 6 items on your belt(s) or its equivalent with two of them being secondary weapons of some type, able to be readied in combat. Note that one of the 6 might be a primary weapon. So a character could have a sword and two daggers on his person, positioned so as to be readyable in combat. His "belt" could also carry three pouches with a bunch of "stuff"in them as long as they arent over two pounds. None of the "stuff" could be readied in combat. Since someone might choose to use a dagger as his primary weapon it seems reasonable that a "belt" could carry three readyable daggers if one is the primary weapon.

It seems clear to me that belt implies more than a simple strip of leather or rope to hold up ones pants and the actual location is not necessarily just at ones side. I say that because the text speaks of slinging a shield from it, with no mention of type. Try hanging a tower shield from a belt around your waist and then running, walking, etc.

I believe these two rules are making sure that characters are outfitted sensibly as for equipment and what is available in combat.

While on the topic, is a quiver of arrows one of the secondary weapons? Personally, I would say that it is.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
It seems clear to me that belt implies more than a simple strip of leather or rope to hold up ones pants and the actual location is not necessarily just at ones side. I say that because the text speaks of slinging a shield from it, with no mention of type. Try hanging a tower shield from a belt around your waist and then running, walking, etc.

I believe these two rules are making sure that characters are outfitted sensibly as for equipment and what is available in combat.

While on the topic, is a quiver of arrows one of the secondary weapons? Personally, I would say that it is.
I concur, in this interpretation it would make the 'belt' a series of slots into which you can place specific objects. Each character has two ways of carrying gear, a 'backpack slot' with the 'backpack' and everything in it being much less accessible in combat than items carried in one of the 6 'belt slots' which can be relatively easily accessed in combat.

I would posit that there are actually 7 belt slots, one being specifically for the 'ready weapon' when you aren't carrying it in your hand. This, however, would depend on your ready weapon. If you carry a one handed weapon you have a sheath or ring on your belt and for some two-handed weapons it would be slung over your shoulder in some way. But it's obvious that you aren't going to hang that Halberd from your 'belt' no matter what form it takes.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
oldwolf

"If you carry a one handed weapon you have a sheath or ring on your belt and for some two-handed weapons it would be slung over your shoulder in some way."

Actually, two handed swords, at least, tend to be too long to put over your shoulder, if you intend to draw them from a sheath. Try it sometime with a broomstick or some such. Assume about 38" of blade, mark where the crosspiece is with tape. The short part beyond the tape is your grip. Pin a small loop of cloth to your shoulder to represent the mouth of the swords sheath. Slip the blade through the loop, grab the grip and try drawing it. I think you will find yourself stuck, with the last few inches of the blade still in the loop and the blade perilously close to your own carotid artery. Place the same at your left hip and a draw across your body with your right hand is possible.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote