Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

View Poll Results: What type of book would you most like to see produced for TFT?
Bestiary/Natural Encyclopedia 23 46.00%
Atlas & Gazeteer 4 8.00%
Grimoire of Uncommon Spells 6 12.00%
Adventures 5 10.00%
Mass Combat Rules 6 12.00%
Other (please explain in your reply) 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2019, 12:10 AM   #21
schoon

Default Re: TFT Books We'd Like to See

Your poll should allow for more than one option to be picked.

While I certainly have a first choice, it's not the only thing is like to see.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #22
JLV

Bestiary gets my vote, but after that, the mass combat thing is my number one priority.

I'd also like to see rules for naval engagements (more than two or three ships -- mass combat at sea) and good, well developed rules for mounted and aerial combat (we've got some basics now, but I think there's room for improvement and more detail there).
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #23
Mallen the dark

All of the above...

Adventures being lowest on the list. But still plan to buy them.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #24
David Johansen

So, on adventures, I'd like some more programmed adventures. Really, you know what would be neat is a huge programed wilderness adventure core map with about a dozen sub adventures. Something epic. Yeah it's huge but it could be broken down into the core outdoor map and individual instances.

A treasure guide would be nice. In The Labyrinth doesn't really have guidelines for what should be in a treasure as far as I can see, though I got the book Tuesday and am still absorbing it.

I'd also like miniatures, particularly the Metal Magic ones I remember being advertised in the day. Sorry, can't get through one post without mentioning miniatures. (1 point flaw)
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:35 AM   #25
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
A treasure guide would be nice. In The Labyrinth doesn't really have guidelines for what should be in a treasure as far as I can see, though I got the book Tuesday and am still absorbing it.
ITL 48 "Random Stocking" has a treasure table. Decks of Destiny has a more detailed system.

What would be nice would be a deck you could shuffle in of characters who each have one ordinary sort of magic item, that they've then worked into an awesome shtik. Like say a small sailboat with slippery floor enchantment to let it sail overland.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:39 AM   #26
Shostak

A big solo adventure with sufficient branching that it has lots of replay value would be pretty cool, indeed.

Decks of cards, while they might be neat, are not books.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #27
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
If by "adventure" you mean dungeon crawl, then it's pretty straightforward. I'm working on a card based dungeon generator that works like so:

1. Draw a Room card (tactical map possibly with obstacles)
2. Draw a Foe card (fighters or creatures)
3. If you survive, roll on the Treasure Table indicated on the Foe card.
4. Next, a short rest and an opportunity for healing.
5. Note on the map which exit you are taking when you leave the room. Exits are shown on the Room card.
6. Draw an Encounter Card to see if there's a trap, vendor, wandering monster, Riddle-Sphinx, Mercenary for Hire, etc.
7. After the encounter's resolved, draw another room card.

So that's three decks of cards (Room, Foe and Encounter) with treasure tables that can be as elaborate as you like. I tried using a treasure deck, but found rolling on the table was more fun, because you get to see the possibilities, enjoy the suspense as the dice rattle around, and really feel like you've "earned" the goodies by making the roll. Drawing a treasure card felt kind of bland to me.

It feels like a TFT "Rogue-like". If you like a "series of cage matches" then it's kinda fun, but I'm not sure everyone would consider it an "adventure". (Especially compared to the wonderful TFT adventures kickstarted by SJG and Douglas H. Cole.)
tomc, you seem much further along than me. The only thing mine has feature-wise that I didn't see in yours is the ability to pull some cards and replace with others in order to create an entirely new adventure. Put that in, and share please!!
Old 10-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #28
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1weasel View Post
tomc, you seem much further along than me. The only thing mine has feature-wise that I didn't see in yours is the ability to pull some cards and replace with others in order to create an entirely new adventure. Put that in, and share please!!
Mine could be called "procedurally generated", if you accept a random draw as a procedure. :)

There are way more cards than one would need for even an unreasonably long dungeon crawl, so I haven't thought of replacing cards, except for Encounters (between rooms) which are discarded when resolved.

What's more fun is to label the exits of a room with the numbers of the rooms they lead to. It's like numbered paragraphs without the pesky intersections. The downside is that I'd need to actually design an adventure, and render it in card form, and that takes more time than I have these days. :/

Maybe in a month or so it will be polished enough to share.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #29
hcobb

Illuminati style maps. Indicate a free arrow on the current map and draw a card to place there. When you return to a cleared out room (or stop to rest for 15 minutes in a resolved room) then roll a die and on a six draw an encounter card.

Once you've reached six rooms in roll a die for each room added and on a 6 place an objective card instead of an ordinary room card. Resolve the objective (only one per dungeon) and escape with the goodies. Also place one of the six random objectives if you run out of ordinary room cards.

-----

What could help players would be a book of adventurers with common options worked out:

Human Hero Knight Nancy Gale
ST 9, DX 12, IQ 11, MA 10
Very fine rapier(1d+2+1), Main-Gauche(parry 1+2 hits)
Acrobatics, Acute Hearing, Courtly Graces, Dancer(mundane), Fencer, Knife, Literacy, Sword
Middle Class clothing, $130 in other goods.

Option 1: Move up to five hexes and attack with rapier at adjDX 12 for 1d+3 damage. -1 DX to be hit and Main-Gauche stops 3 hits from each melee attack.

Option 2: Move up to five hexes and shrew attack with rapier at adjDX 8 for 2d+3 damage. -1 DX to be hit and Main-Gauche stops 3 hits from each melee attack.

Option 3: Move up to five hexes (or shift if already engaged) and parry with both weapons. Melee attacks need to roll five dice to hit at -1 DX and the double parry stops five hits from each successful attack.

Option 4: Attack in HTH with Main-Gauche at adjDX 16 doing 1d damage.

Option 5: Head attack in HTH with Main-Gauche at adjDX 10 doing 1d doubled damage that ignores target's armor protection.

Last edited by hcobb; 10-02-2019 at 09:49 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #30
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Mine could be called "procedurally generated", if you accept a random draw as a procedure. :)

There are way more cards than one would need for even an unreasonably long dungeon crawl, so I haven't thought of replacing cards, except for Encounters (between rooms) which are discarded when resolved.

What's more fun is to label the exits of a room with the numbers of the rooms they lead to. It's like numbered paragraphs without the pesky intersections. The downside is that I'd need to actually design an adventure, and render it in card form, and that takes more time than I have these days. :/

Maybe in a month or so it will be polished enough to share.

One way I've determined the difficulty is length of the adventure. More rooms, opponents, and traps, etc, the more difficult, so... My deck can be played with a map or mapless.

In map mode, you difficulty is handled by map size. One scenario is to assume the exit is either a one-way Gate or otherwise inaccessible and you must explore to find the exit. The other is to be able to retreat back to civilization whenever you determine your group has had enough.

In mapless mode, you keep drawing rooms and defeating them until you draw a card that has "Possible Trap or Exit". In map mode this indicates the room has a trap, in mapless, it's the exit. You can have (in my room deck) 1, 2, or 3 of these cards.

In either deck, some rooms are non-threatening (read: empty, or weenie treasure, something of that nature).

Tags
books, poll