Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
shadedmagus

Default Re: Holy Warrior's Heroic Might alternative

That's fantastic! I didn't even think about the attribute-boosting spells when I was coming up with these. I agree, that would be a really good way to simplify those spells and bring the effects in-line with Heroic Feats.

EDIT: I did not mean to imply that I came up with these myself. I was taking mljluk's idea and applying it to the other two variants of Heroic Feats.

Last edited by shadedmagus; 09-28-2017 at 10:32 AM.
shadedmagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

NOTE:I edited my last post.

One other thing I would consider is to have level 2 Heroic Might give sw+(2d-1) instead of sw+(1d+3). I really don't like those huge bumps in damage bonuses and have always preferred the alternative of turning bonuses into extra dice.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
shadedmagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
One other thing I would consider is to have level 2 Heroic Might give sw+(2d-1) instead of sw+(1d+3). I really don't like those huge bumps in damage bonuses and have always preferred the alternative of turning bonuses into extra dice.
1d+3 gives a range of +(4-9) to swing damage, while 2d-1 gives a range of +(1-11). That seems a bit more "swingy" to me, to use evileeyore's term, which I'm not sure I like.

Can you elaborate a bit on why you prefer dice to flat bonus when it comes to damage? Is it the high minimum it produces? And what would be your preferred minimum bonus or penalty?
shadedmagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #14
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadedmagus View Post
Can you elaborate a bit on why you prefer dice to flat bonus when it comes to damage? Is it the high minimum it produces? And what would be your preferred minimum bonus or penalty?
It's pretty much the high minimum. Say I have a weapon that does 1d damage, and it then gets +1d+3 damage. 2d+3 means it's going to do a minimum of 5 damage, which is a *LOT* for the minimum damage. But it's not just the minimum damage, the more dice you roll the more it flattens the curve out and makes rolls in the fringes slightly more likely. At 2d+3 you have only a 8.33% chance of rolling 5-6 damage; at 3d-1 it's a 16.2% chance of rolling 2-6 damage. So 2d6+3 tends towards the median damage range a little more.

At any rate this is, admittedly, a preference of mine and is represented as an Optional Rule in the full GURPS rulesset.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-28-2017 at 01:04 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Easy, just call it a flat 10 seconds.
My thoughts exactly.

And consider those write ups yoinked mljluk and shadedmagus.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote