Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
HeatDeath

Default Melee Session Report

Just had a fun little Melee session, using the terrain layout from the neoprene Melee mat. Flavius, Torvald, and Yvvan taking on a ST 32 DX 8 Giant with a 3d+3 club.

The giant won initiative and tried to close the distance to Yvvan, but Yvvan and Torvald got 19 points of crossbow bolts into him on their opening turn. Flavius tried to stab the fallen giant but somehow missed. The giant stood and got to Yvvan, swinging and missing twice before Yvvan stood back up and ditched his heavy crossbow for his broadsword. Flavius got a solid hit into the giant's back and Yvvan delivered the coup de grace.

I love this game! I'm not a big roleplayer, but the game has a very Battletech vibe: an eminently solo-able rich beer-n-pretzels tactical game with a lot of incredibly rich supplemental roleplaying material wrapped around it.

So looking forward to my copy of the proper game arriving! [Using home printed components from the PDFs for my current setup. Megahexes and mats and diecut counters will be so much better!]

Last edited by HeatDeath; 03-09-2019 at 07:08 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
ParadoxGames

Default Re: Melee Session Report

Great post, fellow tripper. I, too, am not much of a roleplayer, but the tactical feel to the game and its imaginative aspects, make it very appealing to me.I also have been making summations of our Melee and Wizard sessions. We also made our own counters fromt eh PDFs, and they're pocket box sized. I'm probably going to keep using them rather than the ones included with the game. I do have a second set ordered of each: Melee, Wizard, and Death Test, so maybe I'll punch one set out for kicks. I love counters.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
HeatDeath

Yeah, counters are great. I backed at I Want It All, and then got an extra set each of the Melee, Wizard, and Death Test counters, and an extra megahex set.

I wasn't all that interested in the adventures book, once I found out they were gamemastered, rather than programmed, but then I found out there were new megahexes and counters coming with it, so I backed in the last 24 hours. The PDFs have given me no reason to regret this decision.

For me it's all about the counters, megahexes, and especially character cards. At this point I'm in for anything that includes those. So looking forward to Decks of Destiny!
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
larsdangly

Cool beans!

I too am a big fan of what SJG is doing with the map and counter infrastructure. The core concept that TFT is a table top board game that can mutate into a roleplaying game is what makes the system special, but getting the most out of that specialness requires that you have good board game components. The original system was an ok launching off point, but empty paper hex sheets and small, thin counters only bring you so far. The expanded hex scale, terrain features built into maps, and expanded selection and bigger scale of markers get things moving in the right direction.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:56 PM   #5
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Cool beans!

I too am a big fan of what SJG is doing with the map and counter infrastructure. The core concept that TFT is a table top board game that can mutate into a roleplaying game is what makes the system special, but getting the most out of that specialness requires that you have good board game components. The original system was an ok launching off point, but empty paper hex sheets and small, thin counters only bring you so far. The expanded hex scale, terrain features built into maps, and expanded selection and bigger scale of markers get things moving in the right direction.
I agree that things are moving in the right direction, I have a sizable wishlist for what could be done if there is enough support for the game, but one step at a time. I do think that there is space for fans to get in and create what they want to see. Look at what Douglas Cole has done with DFRPG support. I don't think it's going to be me, but I think there are talented people here who can really contribute.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote