Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
rknop

Default Kyrio of Lawrence & Unconsciousness

Interesting situation came up a game I was running a couple of days ago.

I had a Kyrio of the Sword. These guys get their own vessel, in which five forces are tied. They can still possess other things with the rest of their forces. Even if the vessel is dematerialized, five forces are tied up into it.

The vessel got knocked unconscious. However, it was just that vessel, so the Kyrio was still conscious in other bodies that he'd possessed. That body was in a compromised position, though. The question came up, and it was important in context: could the Kyrio dematerialize the body? Normally, a Kyrio could do this. However, most celestials with vessels are themselves unconscious when their vessel is unconscious, so they could not go Celestial or otherwise make the vessel go away.

For the game, I ruled that he could. (He was unconscious as a result of my ruling about what happened as a result of an unfortunate infernal intervention-- and I didn't want at the time for him to get stuck whining back to Lawrence asking for a new vessel. The Role probably could have survived this.) Is there a canon ruling on this? What are folks' thoughts?
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Kyrio of Lawrence & Unconsciousness

Well, here's what the In Nomine FAQ has to say on the subject of Kyrios of War and The Sword (the boldface is mine):

For Michael and Laurence it means that some of their Kyriotates' Forces are "tied up" and can't be used for possessing other hosts. For example, if a Kyriotate of Michael has a human vessel that takes up five of their Forces, leaving four free for possessing other hosts. Note that these servants of Michael do not have to have a human vessel or even use this attunement at all. Once the vessel is generated, however, the Forces cannot be used for possessing any other vessel unless the "non-abandonable" vessel is destroyed. All human vessels are considered to "tie up" five Forces for the Kyriotate. (Smaller vessels are allocated fewer Forces; ask the GM how many.) Except for these special rules, the vessels are treated like vessels for any other celestial, including vanishing into potentiality when the Kyriotate wants to "go celestial." The Forces for that vessel are still unusable, even if it's in potentiality.

So it sounds like you made the right call.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Acolyte

Default Re: Kyrio of Lawrence & Unconsciousness

I say you made the right call, too. Kyrios break a lot of rules, but they are also subject to a lot of zany things, too.

Tags
kyriotates, laurence