Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2017, 12:53 AM   #51
smurf
Banned

Default Re: Literary Perks!

What would be correcting historical idioms?

Which came first the chicken or the egg = egg

How long is a piece of string = twice the distance from the middle

Some negative comment about some one but is related to Luddites = full blown critique on the progressive nature of the Luddites

I suppose that would be some form of pedantry?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:03 AM   #52
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Bossy - your writing is particularly declarative and commanding in tone
For some reason, this one always seems to be accompanied by an Ally Group (Small but fanatical fan base). I think it's a form of literary BDSM.

Quote:
Critics' Pet [1] - for whatever reason (check with GM), deficiencies in your writing (or other product) are imperceptible to the chattering classes of your artistic community. You can paint soup cans, or screech like a cat, or write the same damned character into every movie or whatever and yet no person with a public profile will appear to notice how utterly crappy your stuff is.
People may assume that you have either a file of blackmail information or flexible sexual morality. But note that other writers may have a Devout Fanbase perk that achieves much the same result with a group of non-critics. The Deplorable Cultus quirk is the negative version; you have a dedicated fanbase, but you can't stand them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
So who wants to roughly stat some authors to see these traits in application?
Oh, that's going to end really well.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:13 AM   #53
Phil Masters

Quote:
Industry unto Yourself [1] - A prior success has established the saleability of your personal brand. Your publisher/broadcaster now supplies subjects and interns to produce the material that appears under your name. If you choose, this can count as your Job [B???] but it takes only 1/4 of the time of a normal job.
It's more Independent Income, really, if it gives you a source of funds that doesn't require (much) time expenditure on your part. Of course, having one real global blockbuster that's still selling in your back catalogue can achieve much the same result (usually accompanied by a Reputation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Genre/Style Pseudonyms aka Max Brand Syndrome [1]: You write well across several genres or several styles within a genre or both, but use a separate pseudonym for each style/genre. This sometimes results in fans passionately arguing as to which pseudonym is the "better" writer.
Bonus points if the only thing distinguishing two "pseudonyms" is a single middle initial...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #54
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Bonus points if the only thing distinguishing two "pseudonyms" is a single middle initial...
I'm thinking of Harry Turtledove and H.N. Turteltaub. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #55
Celjabba

Or Iain M. Banks and Iain Banks.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #56
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm thinking of Harry Turtledove and H.N. Turteltaub. . . .
There is actually a logical reason for it. Chain bookstore ordering algorithms are stupid, they order based on how well the last book by that author did. So you have two kinds of books under one name, like alt-hist and straight historical. The alt-hist sells X copies usually, the straight historical sells X/4. If you alternate books the stores order X/4 for the next alt-hist not X. Logical reason on the part of the author, stupid on the part of the chains.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #57
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
There is actually a logical reason for it. Chain bookstore ordering algorithms are stupid, they order based on how well the last book by that author did. So you have two kinds of books under one name, like alt-hist and straight historical. The alt-hist sells X copies usually, the straight historical sells X/4. If you alternate books the stores order X/4 for the next alt-hist not X. Logical reason on the part of the author, stupid on the part of the chains.
Certainly. In fact I heard exactly that explanation from Turtledove at a science fiction convention a decade or two back. But the two names are still pretty transparent to anyone except an ordering algorithm or a bookstore chain executive.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #58
Astromancer

Audience Magnet This is a limited form of Luck, but other advantages could be used to describe the effect. Basically, once your work is in print, your audience, the people who get you or whom you wish to get, will notice and remember you. Note: This isn't magic, it's just that chance or whatever tends to get you a chance to be noticed by buyers. This can lead to better things later. If you want All My Books are Megahits! that's a fairly pricy Destiny.

Midlist Stalwart This isn't a good perk in the present day. But in the decades between 1890 and 1980 being a reliable fixture on the midlist functioned like an Independent Income, if your GM allows it, authors writing children's books or works on the paranormal or in the New Age genres could still have this advantage. Basically it's a low cost Unusual Background that explains several kinds of advantages including high levels of Reputation and Social Regard with small groups, Independent Income with little or no time investment in the present, and esoteric skills not otherwise available in the campaign.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:55 AM   #59
Anders

Do the Steve Jacksons have a literary variant of the Mistaken Identity disadvantage?
Old 05-06-2017, 05:33 AM   #60
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

the first one that comes to mined is

Press Pass
You're a credentialed journalist able to get into limited access press event and interviews.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote