Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #21
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Cosmic/Reality altering abilities

It does not allow you to use the same ability twice, but I could use Visualization and Innate Attack without difficulty, so two different versions of Visualization would be fine. The key is that the ability is instantaneous, so it does not require any effort to turn on during your turn. Reflexive is for when you are attacked by someone before you could act during a turn.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #22
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It does not allow you to use the same ability twice, but I could use Visualization and Innate Attack without difficulty, so two different versions of Visualization would be fine. The key is that the ability is instantaneous, so it does not require any effort to turn on during your turn. Reflexive is for when you are attacked by someone before you could act during a turn.
You didn't address the concern at all -> That's essentially the same as saying you can purchase Mind Control five different times, slap Reduced Time on each version, and use them all in parallel. Even if you assessed a -4 penalty (-1 per version after the first), its still undercutting the RAW ways of doing things dramatically.

I'm away from my books at the moment, but I'm also pretty sure it contradicts two different requirements spelled out in either Supers or Powers as well:
1) Transient powers can only be used on your turn (you can't have Reflexive to Mind Control as a reflex), so Reflexive doesn't do anything for Visualization.
2) You only get to use one switchable/transient power per turn regardless unless you have an advantage or enhancement which allows you to use more (Compartmentalized Mind/ATR/Extra Attack).
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #23
AlexanderHowl

Transient abilities with enough Reduced Time to be used instantaneously can be used as Free Actions on your turn (Powers, p. 154). You can always do free actions during a maneuver (Basic, pp. 363-364). Reflexive allows your ability to switch on independently when it would be appropriate to protect you, though Visualization would be at a -4 in that case (Powers, p. 109). There is nothing in either book that caps the number of Free Actions, or Free Action transients, that can be during a turn, it is just that the same ability may only be activated once per turn. Technically, you could use any number of attacks during a turn as long as they were separate abilities and as long as they had sufficient Reduced Time (you could even make them Reflexive to allow for multiple Power Blocks).
Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #24
naloth

Quote:
Transient abilities with enough Reduced Time to be used instantaneously can be used as Free Actions on your turn (Powers, p. 154). You can always do free actions during a maneuver (Basic, pp. 363-364).
There is a practical limit of free actions, and I wasn't taking about limits on the number of free actions, but the limits on the number of powers you can choose to activate.

Quote:
Reflexive allows your ability to switch on independently when it would be appropriate to protect you, though Visualization would be at a -4 in that case (Powers, p. 109).
What kind of protection did you have in mind? Visualization can't directly defend against anything and manipulating the situation would fall under the P154 ruling where transient powers (even those that are a free action) can only be used during your part of the turn.

Generally if it's not a sense or turning on a switchable ability, you're veered into the realm of Power defenses.

Quote:
There is nothing in either book that caps the number of Free Actions, or Free Action transients, that can be during a turn, it is just that the same ability may only be activated once per turn. Technically, you could use any number of attacks during a turn as long as they were separate abilities and as long as they had sufficient Reduced Time (you could even make them Reflexive to allow for multiple Power Blocks).
The latter statements are definitely untrue. Reduced Time cannot be applied to advantages with the "attack" symbol at all, nor does Reflexive have any meaning on an "attack" power.

I'll have to check where the restriction is on the number of transient abilities you can activate without taking an action. It might have been on the forums rather than a book, though I thought it was in Powers or Supers.

EDIT: Power Dodge is the only one that requires your ability to be "instant". Power Block doubles "resistance" and doesn't have a time restriction.

EDIT 2: Still couldn't find the official ruling, but here's a forum discussion from a while ago with some rules quotes to support a general guideline:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...90&postcount=4

Last edited by naloth; 03-20-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #25
AlexanderHowl

But attacks can be instant, it says so in Powers (p. 154) under Free Actions.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #26
naloth

Quote:
But attacks can be instant, it says so in Powers (p. 154) under Free Actions.
I see what you're referring to - "Rapier Wit and attacks with enough Reduced Time" - which is somewhat contradictory since you can't take Reduced Time on pistol marked advantages. Either it's a mistake in the wording (perhaps it should say "advantages") or it just refers to advantages that aren't marked as (pistol noted) attack powers such as Rapier Wit, Control, or Illusion.