Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #21
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Kicking a grenade away

Interestingly, if you just go by the Melee combat modifiers refered to on page B369 and listed at B547, you would see that there is no SM modifier for melee attacks. SM mods apply, as per B372, to Ranged Attacks.

Now there ARE hit location penalties (B398), but it's not clear from the rules that these are due entirely to size. There are also rules for striking at weapons an opponent is holding (B400), with pistol-sized things getting a -5 mod.

I also wonder if the grenade might count as a 'helpless or unconscious foe' who can be hit automatically. In which case the question is not can he kick it, but can he kick it away. For that: a DX roll at -4 or substitute an appropriate Sport skill to put it where he wants it to go.

Last edited by Figleaf23; 10-13-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #22
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Interestingly, if you just go by the Melee combat modifiers refered to on page B369 and listed at B547, you would see that there is no SM modifier for melee attacks. SM mods apply, as per B372, to Ranged Attacks.
The thing is that it is rather harder to hit a fly with a sword than a man. I am not sure if postive SM's should give you a bonus, but negative sm's should give you a penalty.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #23
Lord Herman

A bit of clarification on the characters and the situation:

The characters are two Imperial Guardsmen, fresh out of training. That means they're normal, unaltered humans. In general, their equipment is about equivalent to that of a WWII soldier, only sometimes with lasers instead of bullets. So the grenade is pretty much the same as an WWII-era pineapple grenade.

The guardsmen are on a factory floor, crouched behind some metal crates. They're being shot at from about 10 yards away by heretics (also normal humans) who have cover of their own. Apart from those crates and some heavy machinery, the factory floor is relatively clear of obstacles.

What happened was that one of the guardsmen tried to throw a grenade, but got shot in the arm just after he'd primed it. The arm was crippled by the shot, and he dropped the grenade. He was below 0 HP at that point, and when it was his turn to act, he fell unconscious. The other guardsman then considered dragging him away from the grenade, but figuring (quite correctly) it'd take too long, he decided to kick the grenade away instead.
Lord Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #24
Six_Gun_Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
The other guardsman then considered dragging him away from the grenade, but figuring (quite correctly) it'd take too long, he decided to kick the grenade away instead.
At least he didn't try to save himself by putting his buddy on top of the grenade to smother the blast.

That would of been rude. Funny, but rude.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #25
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Which means you're ignoring B19, where SM is actually described. (And also an addendum in the FAQ, http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.4.2.23)
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #26
nick012000

Quote:
A bit of clarification on the characters and the situation:

The characters are two Imperial Guardsmen, fresh out of training. That means they're normal, unaltered humans. In general, their equipment is about equivalent to that of a WWII soldier, only sometimes with lasers instead of bullets. So the grenade is pretty much the same as an WWII-era pineapple grenade.
In 40k, "unaltered" is relative. Someone from Catachan would kick the ass of someone from Terra in a fist-fight.
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #27
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Which means you're ignoring B19, where SM is actually described. (And also an addendum in the FAQ, http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.4.2.23)
Here's a past Krommpost which also references B19.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #28
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
The thing is that it is rather harder to hit a fly with a sword than a man. I am not sure if postive SM's should give you a bonus, but negative sm's should give you a penalty.
Well, the edge of the blade is counted in millimeters. I'm pretty sure the effective SM of a sword is ridiculously low.
Now try a hammer, or perhaps a over-sized Fantasy Hammer, or perhaps just a flyswatter.

There is a reason Giants tend to prefer pounding people with appropriately sized clubs and hammers rather than picking up a bladed weapon when available.
Imagine trying to fight of four dozen surprisingly deadly Lilliputians. Trying to chop them with a sword seems like a bit of a pain compared to sweeping around a big club, doesn't it?
For an even more extreme example, killing Lilliputians by stabbing with the point of your sword is like trying to fit a thread though a needle, whereas whacking them with a club/hammer is like swatting a fly with a flyswatter.

Edit:
That said, I agree with Kromm on -4 being a good max penalty if you want to keep things simple.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #29
Snoman314

Quote:
...What happened was that one of the guardsmen tried to throw a grenade, but got shot in the arm just after he'd primed it. The arm was crippled by the shot, and he dropped the grenade...
Out of curiosity, how was he shot while priming? I've always thought it fairly natural to be ducking right down while getting a grenade ready to throw.
Snoman314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #30
Lord Herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman314 View Post
Out of curiosity, how was he shot while priming? I've always thought it fairly natural to be ducking right down while getting a grenade ready to throw.
As I remember it, the crates he was using for cover weren't high enough to cover him entirely when crouching, and he didn't want to waste any time switching postures. Or it might have simple been a mess-up on his part or mine; we're all pretty new to GURPS.
Lord Herman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grenade, kick, skill