Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Lord Herman

Default Kicking a grenade away

Short-time lurker, first time poster here. Hi, all!

During my Warhammer 40k GURPS game last weekend, my players ran into a problem. A grenade-shaped one. One of the characters was just about to throw a grenade, when he was shot in the arm. He dropped the grenade, which was set to detonate in 2 seconds. He then tried to kick it away. A sensible thing to do, but I can't find any rules on it in the basic set.

I tried modeling it as an attack against a 3-inch object - it being inanimate, it wouldn't get any defence rolls. But that turned out to be nigh impossible to pull off for an untrained person, even with an all-out attack: effective skill would be DX-6 (-2 for a kick, -8 for size, +4 for all-out attack (determined)).

I've also considered modeling it off the Throwing skill, with a -2 penalty for kicking the grenade instead of throwing it. That'd make kicking it away an almost guaranteed success, barring a critical failure; where it lands doesn't really matter, as long as it's far away. But I'm not sure if that's an appropriate use for the Throwing skill.

Is either of the above the right way of handling this? Did I miss something from the books? Does anyone have another house-ruled solution?
Lord Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
MagiMaster

Default Re: Kicking a grenade away

The default attack roll assumes the target is moving, even if they don't get an active defense, so I think there's some bonus you get against a stationary target. I don't remember what that bonus is though.
MagiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Kaldrin

You could also use Sport (Football - not the North American version). I believe stationary targets give a bonus, but you wouldn't get a non-stressful bonus kicking the grenade...
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Gigermann

Throwing defaults to DX to "lob something into a general area," so it seems that would apply here. The size mod (-8) should count, realistically, and you could keep the Determined (or maybe Telegraphed; +4)—then you could apply a "target size" modifier for the "window," which should be pretty large…overall, it should probably end up as DX+0 (which is probably what I would've gone with on the fly, anyway).
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin View Post
You could also use Sport (Football - not the North American version). I believe stationary targets give a bonus, but you wouldn't get a non-stressful bonus kicking the grenade...
Real grenades are more the size of between a baseball and a golf ball then then the size of a soccer ball though. Maybe warhammer is different. From what I've heard it's "different" about a lot of things.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Real grenades are more the size of between a baseball and a golf ball then then the size of a soccer ball though. Maybe warhammer is different. From what I've heard it's "different" about a lot of things.
Stationary and size might cancel. I don't know about the weight though... I was just pointing out some odd skills that can be used to move a grenade.

My gunslinger shot the floor directly beneath a grenade once in an attempt to get the floorboard to buckle slightly and flip it out the door. If we can do that in GURPS I think you can kick one with relatively minor penalties.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Hannes665

I would have added +4 for inanimate object. But you could also rule that even if he fails the roll by 1-4 that could only mean that he hits but the grenades (since his objective is to kick it far away) does not go far or straight that he kicks it sideways 1d3+1 hex or something of that affect and must make a DX roll or fall down.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
yffub

Since your foot is bigger than the grenade, I'd cap the size penalty to kick it at -4 (the to-hit penalty for a foot). You're not at -15 (or whatever) to stamp kick an ant after all.

Actually, I wouldn't apply any size penalty if you put your foot next to the grenade and then lob it, although that might require a Ready action.

Otherwise I'd echo what everyone else is saying about using Throwing-2 or DX-2. I'd allow +2 to ST for the purpose of determining range.
yffub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
SuedodeuS

A hand grenade should probably be a bit smaller than a closed fist, so SM-5 or SM-6. Kicking something that is at foot height should be fairly easy, either a +1 or +2 (MA99 implies +1). Finally, such a kick is likely to be a telegraphic attack. All this together means an all-out attack (determined) against a stationary hand grenade should be made at DX+1 (+4 determined, +4 telegraphed, +1 for foot height, -2 for kicking, -6 for size). As a 1 lb or so (HP 4) object, every two points of damage moves it one yard. So, with a push kick from an ST 12 or so person (probably low end for WH40k), you're looking at an average of 3-4 yards. I hope you get it out of your cover and have time to drop!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
A hand grenade should probably be a bit smaller than a closed fist, so SM-5 or SM-6. Kicking something that is at foot height should be fairly easy, either a +1 or +2 (MA99 implies +1). Finally, such a kick is likely to be a telegraphic attack. All this together means an all-out attack (determined) against a stationary hand grenade should be made at DX+1 (+4 determined, +4 telegraphed, +1 for foot height, -2 for kicking, -6 for size). As a 1 lb or so (HP 4) object, every two points of damage moves it one yard. So, with a push kick from an ST 12 or so person (probably low end for WH40k), you're looking at an average of 3-4 yards. I hope you get it out of your cover and have time to drop!
I agree with this. I've added emphasis to the parts that come from GURPS Martial Arts, in case the OP doesn't have that book.

On the size modifier, note that the SM is figured from the longer dimension of presumably rectangular objects -- objects with circular or square cross-sections add +2 to their SM. This makes the -6 in this post jive with the -8 you gave from the chart.

Tags
grenade, kick, skill