Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #21
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Hidden Rolls & Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
This thread brings up another question about luck: sometimes I'm rolling something related to the PC, but it's not actually a roll against any of the PCs skills -- usually, it's something undecided about the world. For example, I know there's an irregular guard patrol in an area, but I haven't established ahead of time whether it's present at the moment, so I'll roll (this is not necessarily even a secret roll, but it might be).

This is certainly a legitimate use for Serendipity, but is it something Luck can even be used on?
There is a "luck roll" mechanic in Hero System that works well for this, and I've used it in several RPGs, including GURPS. Roll 3d6 and count sixes and ones. A six is a level of good luck, a one is a level of bad luck. The commonest result is neither good nor bad luck; the best is three levels of good luck and the worst is three levels of bad luck. A mixture is a situation with good and bad features, which is often the most entertaining.

I use this with GURPS Luck by simply allowing a use of Luck to produce a guaranteed level of good luck, in addition to whatever gets rolled. You could also allow the player to roll three times, but buying a guarantee of a level of luck is more reliable.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
This is certainly a legitimate use for Serendipity, but is it something Luck can even be used on?
I don't see why not.

Quote:
This thread is about making hidden rolls.
Good point. Those questions are better suited for a different thread.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #23
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So PK, how much would "not against hidden rolls" Accessibility be worth in your campaign?
No way. Far too meta for my tastes.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #24
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
This thread brings up another question about luck: sometimes I'm rolling something related to the PC, but it's not actually a roll against any of the PCs skills -- usually, it's something undecided about the world. For example, I know there's an irregular guard patrol in an area, but I haven't established ahead of time whether it's present at the moment, so I'll roll (this is not necessarily even a secret roll, but it might be).

I'd consider that to fall under "outside events that affect you or your whole party", which is one of the conditions in which Luck can be applied.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #25
Varyon

Quote:
I think the general rule of thumb is, if a dice roll is involved, Luck can come into play. If a dice roll isn't involved, only Serendipity will do. If the existence of a patrol is determined by a dice roll, then, you can use Luck to make it less likely to exist at this point in time. If the GM rules the patrol crosses at precisely 0800 and the characters happen to be there at 0800, Luck could only help to prevent the guards from noticing them during the inevitable Sense check, while Serendipity may be able to serve to have the guards get distracted by a rabbit long enough for the characters to get to safety.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #26
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

The only situations where I roll the dice in secret is reaction rolls and some specific perception rolls.

My criteria for saying something like "Hey, im making some important rolls, you interested in using your luck?" is based on 3 criteria

1 - Player Awareness: If the player is not aware of the importance of the roll (due to being distracted or the like), Ill throw a reminder

2 - Importance: If the players are being subjected to a reaction roll ill remind them they can use luck on it only if they rolled horribly or if the NPC in question is a very important one (in terms of making certain objetives viable for the group etc.)

3 - Injury & Death: Traps and etc. Ill warn players that there are perception rolls being rolled
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote