Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
jovos

Default traveling to the world of elder scrolls games

I want to know what cetrum and infinity merlin 1 or Reich 5 world think of the elder scrolls world Rech 5 in particularly I wonder what they would think of the Nords or what would happen if the empire were to find a magical means to travel to other worlds

Last edited by jovos; 03-13-2016 at 08:10 PM.
jovos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
starslayer

Default Re: traveling to the world of elder scrolls games

Elder scrolls universe already has interdimensional travel via portals and gates. It also has powerful divination abilities, magic that can rewrite the laws of physics, powerful godlike entities and is tied to a whole series of worlds filled with world jumping invaders (the deadra) led by godlike malvolient entities (the deadra Lords).

In short it goes on everyone's stay away at all costs and pretend it's not there hoping to never catch the attention of its monstrous manipulators list.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #3
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
In short it goes on everyone's stay away at all costs and pretend it's not there hoping to never catch the attention of its monstrous manipulators list.
And if you DO visit, don't make a scene! Do feel free to take advantage of the "anybody can enchant things" aspect of the world, though.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
And if you DO visit, don't make a scene! Do feel free to take advantage of the "anybody can enchant things" aspect of the world, though.
That depends on if that's actually an aspect of the world, or of the character. It's entirely possible that the character you play as in each game simply has Magery, and plenty of other people don't - after all, you almost never see other characters who aren't mages actually using magic, even if a little healing would improve that fleeing bandit's chance of survival. It's also possible that everyone has an Elder-Scrolls specific form of Magery, and someone who shows up from elsewhen would be limited by his own traits.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
That depends on if that's actually an aspect of the world, or of the character. It's entirely possible that the character you play as in each game simply has Magery, and plenty of other people don't - after all, you almost never see other characters who aren't mages actually using magic, even if a little healing would improve that fleeing bandit's chance of survival. It's also possible that everyone has an Elder-Scrolls specific form of Magery, and someone who shows up from elsewhen would be limited by his own traits.
From reading various books in-game, anybody can learn magic, so long as they have an intellect slightly above that of a rock. That's why bandits dumb enough to try to mug the guy who just killed a dragon and ate its soul never use any spells, and rarely have an enchanted weapon. It's also why even small-town traders carry spell books for simple healing and light spells.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
That's why bandits dumb enough to try to mug the guy who just killed a dragon and ate its soul never use any spells, and rarely have an enchanted weapon. It's also why even small-town traders carry spell books for simple healing and light spells.
Well, except for the bandits who are called "Hedge Mage" and similar, and actually do use spells whilst trying to mug you. Also, while I didn't play as much Skyrim, in Oblivion the bulk of my character's magic gear - his armor - was "liberated" from various bandits (I didn't feel like learning enough Illusion magic to be able to put Chameleon on my own gear). As for traders, well, so long as there's a decent number of people who can use magic, selling spell books can be worthwhile.

All I'm saying is, there's no guarantee that Joe Guy from Centrum can hop over to the TES timeline and enchant up some gear. In fact, with the amount of time that would probably be necessary to learn appropriate spells/enchantments/etc, you might be better off just showing up and buying/stealing whatever good magic items you can get your hands on.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
starslayer

Quote:
Oh you mean the enchantment that revolves around some process that uses living souls as power supplies, with sentient creature souls being the most powerful and desireable?

Centrum/infinity agents send Nereidalbel for some serious psycoevaluation, morality training, and let him nowhere near a conveyor until that's complete.

The Cabal lodges celebrate his forethought on bringing back examples of soul-stealing techniques.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Oh you mean the enchantment that revolves around some process that uses living souls as power supplies, with sentient creature souls being the most powerful and desireable?

Centrum/infinity agents send Nereidalbel for some serious psycoevaluation, morality training, and let him nowhere near a conveyor until that's complete.

The Cabal lodges celebrate his forethought on bringing back examples of soul-stealing techniques.
Pretty sure bringing back a few hundred Spell Tome: Soul Trap and half a ton of black soulstones would get me a promotion. And a team for the next trip to learn the enchantment: Fiery Soul Trap.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Pretty sure bringing back a few hundred Spell Tome: Soul Trap and half a ton of black soulstones would get me a promotion. And a team for the next trip to learn the enchantment: Fiery Soul Trap.
Personally, I was always fond of what I called "Soul Ripper" - a 1-second duration Soul Trap combined with a 1-second duration Drain Health 100 (which reduced the target's current HP by 100, killing them if their current HP was below 100 when it was cast but doing nothing otherwise; it was fairly cheap to cast, so at low levels it's a quick one-hit-kill move, and at higher levels is a decent finishing move, although if you get too high of level it only works on enemies with only a sliver of HP left...). Oblivion's spell-creation system was rather prone to abuse, but then so was its class creation system.

In GURPS terms, that Drain Health effect would probably be 10 HP of temporary injury or something like that.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
Nereidalbel

I just want to see the look on somebody's face when they find out there's a guy who can summon a dragon from another dimension just by yelling his name.