Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #41
Phantasm

Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Your Large Holk is missing the ST/HP figure.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #42
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Your Large Holk is missing the ST/HP figure.
So it is. It's 275, in case it matters. ;)

I've fixed it.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #43
Diomedes

What are the superstructures? Castles and crow's nests for large and small ones?

Also, the Baghlah dhow has a hit location Su. Is that a typo, or just a location I'm not familiar with?
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #44
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes
What are the superstructures? Castles and crow's nests for large and small ones?
S is an enclosed hull, sometimes multi-decked, sometimes not. s are castles. Crow's nests are part of M, as far as I can read the examples in Campaigns.

Quote:
Also, the Baghlah dhow has a hit location Su. Is that a typo, or just a location I'm not familiar with?
In Fantasy, for some reason, the S location was written Su. I've accidentally imitated it there.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #45
Phantasm

Quote:
I believe "Su" was used in Fantasy to indicate Superstructures, which was a change from Campaigns.

By the way, I'm currently collecting all of the ships so far into an OpenOffice spreadsheet. If it's okay with Icelander (it is his work, after all), I'm probably going to put it up someplace and link it when I get it finished.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #46
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
I believe "Su" was used in Fantasy to indicate Superstructures, which was a change from Campaigns.

By the way, I'm currently collecting all of the ships so far into an OpenOffice spreadsheet. If it's okay with Icelander (it is his work, after all), I'm probably going to put it up someplace and link it when I get it finished.
Eh... I've got all the ships in a Word-document (along with more detail on each type), but I'm not sure I want them on the 'Net proper*.

I'm still pondering whether to send a manuscript to SJ Games and this thread alone could be too much exposure for them to consider publishing the work, let alone if it's posted somewhere else.

*As opposed to here on the friendly forum where only a determined searcher and forum denizen will find them.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #47
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
What's the TL? What's the climate like? Are the trade routes he sails in the open ocean, like the Atlantic, or is it a more covered sea like the Baltic? Perhaps the Med?
It's a custom TL3 setting, roughly equating to France circa 13th century. The character hasn't really entered play and his background isn't fully fleshed out, so it could be on the equivalent of the North Sea or the Med. If the North Sea, the cog fits perfectly. Like I said, though, it isn't a naval campaign, merely a bit of character background.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #48
tshiggins

Quote:
If you had a choice, what would you prefer to see first:

(SNIP)
This is very well done.

I've never seen any RPG stats for junks, anywhere. However, as I look at the design, they seem some of the most seaworthy vessels ever built.

I know you've apparently focused on European craft, thus far; what do you think of tackling the Chinese vessels?
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #49
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins
This is very well done.

I've never seen any RPG stats for junks, anywhere. However, as I look at the design, they seem some of the most seaworthy vessels ever built.

I know you've apparently focused on European craft, thus far; what do you think of tackling the Chinese vessels?
I mean to include a section on Other Cultures, such as the dhow (two examples already done), feluccas, junks and more. I can't promise when that will be done, though.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #50
Icelander

Quote:
Quote:
S is an enclosed hull, sometimes multi-decked, sometimes not. s are castles. Crow's nests are part of M, as far as I can read the examples in Campaigns.

Quote:
In Fantasy, for some reason, the S location was written Su. I've accidentally imitated it there.
Actually, upon a review of how the Basic Set presents the vehicle hit location of "Superstructure" S and s, I've altered my definitions.

The superstructure of a ship is not the same as the GURPS term 'superstructure'. Instead, it is folded into the 'Body' hit location.

I've edited the stats so that S describes a large castle or other raised component of the vessel and s describes a smaller structure that does not affect the structural integrity of the hull.

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech, ships