Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
DarkForce

Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Also all tech will come from Ultra tech.
DarkForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
It is silly to ask them to make choices before their character would make the choice, without information said character would have at the time. How should a player scan an asteroid belt looking for power signs, and then raise the alarm if they see one? Worse, what if they want to repeatedly scan it and if they find a power sign stop and then raise the alarm? What if I want to try and repair the engine, but stop part way through if I hear any sounds of fighting?

I suppose the player could twist language around to avoid "ifs" but it would be pointless IMO. We could have a cycle of "I scan, I scan again, I scan again", but... that seems non-ideal...
I think that the rule is to encourage story telling rather than gaming, truth be told. The "if this happens, I do this, if not, I don't" is a trick we use to speed posting up. Its basically trying to anticipate further action in interest of speeding the action up. it appears dchsknight wants a more narrative and fully blow by blow style with strict temporal flow. I can see that, but yes, its an odd request.

Quote:
Language isn't a skill. IQ 20 puts the rest at expert level. I suppose there isn't really any problem. But there is a high chance of characters that are both broadly competent, AND hyper-competent in one area.
I think this is to encourage putting 4 points into things the character is knowledgeable at instead of relying on high scores that yield lots of low hanging fruit. If so dchsknight could make this clearer, that a major difference exists between skill 17 [1] and skill 17 [12]. just as a heads up, its not standard policy around here.

Also, do we have anyone else interested?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
DarkForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think that the rule is to encourage story telling rather than gaming, truth be told. The "if this happens, I do this, if not, I don't" is a trick we use to speed posting up. Its basically trying to anticipate further action in interest of speeding the action up. it appears dchsknight wants a more narrative and fully blow by blow style with strict temporal flow. I can see that, but yes, its an odd request.

I think this is to encourage putting 4 points into things the character is knowledgeable at instead of relying on high scores that yield lots of low hanging fruit. If so dchsknight could make this clearer, that a major difference exists between skill 17 [1] and skill 17 [12]. just as a heads up, its not standard policy around here.

Also, do we have anyone else interested?
It is more or less an atempt to make characters look and feel more real, rather then Min/maxing which is just dumb. If these characters were real they would not be min maxed...

for example, Epic Jedi luke would have farming as a skill, Mechanics, things like that because it is what he did before he was Jedi. He does not just lose his skills because he is an epic jedi.

I feel that people get so wrapped up in what they want their characters to be, that they forget about the other things that the characters would know and use. it is also kind of just a cop-out to making interesting characters.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
samd6

I'm interested. I do have some questions though, about supplements and optional rules:
Are we using wildcard skills?
Are any books besides Basic Set and Ultra Tech allowed?
Is Signature Assets (from Spaceships) allowed?
Are perks from Gun Fu or Tactical Shooting allowed?
Is anything from Pyramid allowed?

I have this idea for a blaster-fu gunslinger, but I don't want to build him around something disallowed.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
DarkForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
I'm interested. I do have some questions though, about supplements and optional rules:
Are we using wildcard skills?
Are any books besides Basic Set and Ultra Tech allowed?
Is Signature Assets (from Spaceships) allowed?
Are perks from Gun Fu or Tactical Shooting allowed?
Is anything from Pyramid allowed?

I have this idea for a blaster-fu gunslinger, but I don't want to build him around something disallowed.
Wildcard skills are not allowed.

Signature assests are totally allowed and even upgradeable with CP later.

Gun fu and tactical are cool just make sure you note where the option you are wanting is in each said book.

you can use the star wars books I can link them... but not they are not the best written and have a lot of mistakes. tech should still come from Ultra tech.

All tech needs to come from ultra tech or the star wars books. If you want soemthing else just tell me what Book it is from if I do not have that book, it is not allowed. (I have a crap ton of books.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
DarkForce

And If only two people are interested that is fine. we can keep going and others can join later.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #17
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

This is the character skeleton, Things that are most likely to get shot down:

Kaja the Hutt

Hutt[around 30]

IQ + 4 [80]

Multi-millionaire 3 (7.5 T $) [125]
Independent Income 20 (1.5 T $)[20]
Status 6 (3 from wealth) [15]
Charisma 2 [10]
Ally (bodyguard, 100%, 15 or less) [15]

a few contact groups: hutts and probably a legal organization.

Heavy skill investment in Business, Politics, Social interactions, Law, and Criminal skills

Kaja's status as a crime lord is not merely an expert in underhanded dealings, but as an expert in the nooks and crannies of the law. He manages to keep a frightening amount of what he does legally untouchable, and wields the law like a weapon against his enemies. The hutts have used him as a "face man" several times, Where his oratory skills and good nature (for a hutt) are an asset.

Kaja specializes in underhanded legal matters, obtaining evidence through criminal networks, blackmail, and planting of it, then bringing it up through legal channels where it can be used as a weapon. His firm is remarkably good and commands enormous rates... If they take your case at all. The fall of the empire has been hard on him, and he has returned to the political sphere mostly to try and foster a system he can abuse.

---------------

Please tell me if I'm looking beyond the mark. The idea here is a character who can through lots of resources against an problem, and be the face man of the group. Is the wealth over done, and is he going to be useful in this campaign?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #18
DarkForce

Quote:
This is the character skeleton, Things that are most likely to get shot down:

Kaja the Hutt

Hutt[around 30]

IQ + 4 [80]

Multi-millionaire 3 (7.5 T $) [125]
Independent Income 20 (1.5 T $)[20]
Status 6 (3 from wealth) [15]
Charisma 2 [10]
Ally (bodyguard, 100%, 15 or less) [15]

a few contact groups: hutts and probably a legal organization.

Heavy skill investment in Business, Politics, Social interactions, Law, and Criminal skills

Kaja's status as a crime lord is not merely an expert in underhanded dealings, but as an expert in the nooks and crannies of the law. He manages to keep a frightening amount of what he does legally untouchable, and wields the law like a weapon against his enemies. The hutts have used him as a "face man" several times, Where his oratory skills and good nature (for a hutt) are an asset.

Kaja specializes in underhanded legal matters, obtaining evidence through criminal networks, blackmail, and planting of it, then bringing it up through legal channels where it can be used as a weapon. His firm is remarkably good and commands enormous rates... If they take your case at all. The fall of the empire has been hard on him, and he has returned to the political sphere mostly to try and foster a system he can abuse.

---------------

Please tell me if I'm looking beyond the mark. The idea here is a character who can through lots of resources against an problem, and be the face man of the group. Is the wealth over done, and is he going to be useful in this campaign?
I have no problems with it... The only thing I would change is defiently give something he can use to fight with. Like the whole Hutt battle suit thing. as seen here

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hutt_battle_armor

and since he is rich he can afford to make a modern one.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchsknight View Post
I have no problems with it... The only thing I would change is defiently give something he can use to fight with. Like the whole Hutt battle suit thing. as seen here

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hutt_battle_armor

and since he is rich he can afford to make a modern one.
WOW... hut battle armor! who would have guessed!

My plan was to have him travel around on a very luxurious mobile platform because he's so slow (no need to make others wait), and to hide some serious shielding and heavy weaponry inside of it.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
DarkForce

Quote:
WOW... hut battle armor! who would have guessed!

My plan was to have him travel around on a very luxurious mobile platform because he's so slow (no need to make others wait), and to hide some serious shielding and heavy weaponry inside of it.
The hutts were not always gangsters...