Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
tanksoldier

Default Regular Asgardians

So the group I play with is thinking about doing a short campaign about a group of normal/ non-royal Asgardians who survived Ragnarok and the events thereafter.

An assumption I'm making is that the "gods" of Asgard are of royal blood.

Normal Asgardians may be stronger and more durable than humans of Midgard but they aren't royals able to control lightning, death and such.

So, just how powerful would they be? Sif and the Warriors Three were skilled but didn't seem THAT much more physically powerful than a highly trained/ experienced Human... at least in the movies.

Thoughts?
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
fchase8

Default Re: Regular Asgardians

In an episode of Agents of Shield, they encountered an 'ordinary' Asgardian (he even admitted to being a peasant, and thus never knowing Thor). He could bend steel with his hands, and didn't age (or at least aged only in Asgardian terms).

Though apparently his super-strength was derived from touching the Berserker Staff:

http://agentsofshield.wikia.com/wiki/Elliot_Randolph
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:46 AM   #3
whswhs

The old metaphor for someone really strong is "my strength is as the strength of ten" (said in The Mighty Hercules, the Morte d'Arthur [of Lancelot], and Dracula, for example). That might be a reasonable level for the strength of average Asgardians. Give them +20 ST and you get x9, which is straightforward and probably close enough. BL 180 lbs. would mean their basic lift was about a normal person's maximum lift.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #4
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

According to The Offical Handbook of the Marvel Universe, Asgardian flesh is three times as dense as the human equivalent and they have superhuman (but undefined) endurance.

The average Asgardian male can bench-press 30 tons, and the average Asgardian female can bench-press 25 tons. ST can be calculated from that.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 AM   #5
Phantasm

In my Reboot project, I gave them the following racial template:

Quote:
575 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST +9 [90].
Languages: Old Norse (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Extended Lifespan 5 (×32) [10]; Immunity to Disease [10]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction, /3 (Limited: Crushing Attacks, -40%)) [45]; Super ST +11/+150 [440].
Perks: Alcohol Tolerance [1].
Disadvantages: Low TL -5 [-25].
Basically, Class 35-ish (for men and women, though of course variations from Class 25 to Class 50 happen), 3× as dense but still vulnerable to most weapons (though their higher HP helps), and a lifespan of *roughly* 1000 years, give or take a century.

The Low TL was often supported in the comics in the '80s and early '90s, though I'd replace it w/ a few levels of High TL for the MCU Asgardians.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #6
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
So the group I play with is thinking about doing a short campaign about a group of normal/ non-royal Asgardians who survived Ragnarok and the events thereafter.

An assumption I'm making is that the "gods" of Asgard are of royal blood.

Normal Asgardians may be stronger and more durable than humans of Midgard but they aren't royals able to control lightning, death and such.

So, just how powerful would they be? Sif and the Warriors Three were skilled but didn't seem THAT much more physically powerful than a highly trained/ experienced Human... at least in the movies.

Thoughts?
First read Elves in Anglo-Saxon England. The average Asgardian would probably be a transvestite or switch gender roles very freely. I kid you not. Also, most Asgardians would be assumed to be great warriors and wizards. Just give any Asgardian six levels of Magery and create a Warrior Talent, and give them six levels of that too. Follow GURPS: Celtic Myth and make their normal stats 12 in each category. They should also have high resistance to things like disease and poison, plus five or better to health.

At least this fits the legends and myths I've read.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
According to The Offical Handbook of the Marvel Universe, Asgardian flesh is three times as dense as the human equivalent and they have superhuman (but undefined) endurance.

The average Asgardian male can bench-press 30 tons, and the average Asgardian female can bench-press 25 tons. ST can be calculated from that.
Bench pressing that level suggest being able to do that without extra effort, so we are talking about an average two-handed lift of 60,000 lbs, around a Lifting ST 550. We are talking about D-scale opponents on average, as they could punch for 54d+53 crushing damage (assuming Brawling at DX+2). Even is we are talking about extra effort, we are talking about an average ST of 20/15, around 700 CP in ST alone.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
whswhs

I don't think the Handbook was particularly reliable even for Marvel comics; they made up stuff as it suited them. And I don't think the capabilities of comics characters are very predictive of the capabililties of cinematic characters in any case.

For example, going by the figure AlexanderHowl cites, an Asgardian could totally destroy a human body with one punch (or, perhaps, punch straight through it and hardly notice it was there). But we don't see Asgardian characters on the screen inflicting that kind of damage on unenhanced human beings. Substantially stronger, yes, but not two orders of magnitude stronger.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
Culture20

In the comics, the thrice-dense flesh and thrice-dense steel is canonical. And even the physically weakest Asgardians can lift a man off the ground by the neck one handed with no discernible effort. They also tend to have strong resistance to diseases, are virtually indefatigable, and live forever if and only if they eat the apples of Idun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
For example, going by the figure AlexanderHowl cites, an Asgardian could totally destroy a human body with one punch (or, perhaps, punch straight through it and hardly notice it was there). But we don't see Asgardian characters on the screen inflicting that kind of damage on unenhanced human beings. Substantially stronger, yes, but not two orders of magnitude stronger.
We also see a Hulk who can rip tanks apart with his bare hands punch/slap things and people without causing serious injury. The MCU follows the comic book IT:DR(Brawling) trope.

Last edited by Culture20; 07-13-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
In the comics, the thrice-dense flesh and thrice-dense steel is canonical. And even the physically weakest Asgardians can lift a man off the ground by the neck one handed with no discernible effort. They also tend to have strong resistance to diseases, are virtually indefatigable, and live forever if and only if they eat the apples of Idun.
The ST rating I proposed, +20 to ST, would give average ST 30 and BL 180 lbs. That's more than enough to lift a man off the ground with one hand. It's also a lot short of the ST 550 that AlexanderHowl estimated.