Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
ColBosch

Default So...What Next?

I know there's a "what do we want" thread already, but this is a bit different. I'd like to explore where people think the Ogre line should go once Battlefields hits and all of the old material has been updated to current standards. I'm also going to assume that the plastic miniatures sets continue, until everything that was once in metal and/or resin is now in plastic.

So, given the above, what comes next? What would excite you, and what do you think new players would like?

Personally, I'd like to see a big box game with new factions in it. This gives new players a shiny new game and has solid value for existing fans. It would then be supported with a small number of high-quality supplements. In my mind, all this would look something like the following:

OGRE: The Battle of Beijing
MSRP $79.95. Contains one G.E.V.-style map (new, call it "G4"), rules, two basic armies (Nihon and Chinese, each with GEVs, HVYs, MTs, MHWZs*, INF, and a cybertank with record card), and chipboard counters, including a sheet of 3D buildings. Includes the Sixth Edition Revised rulebook and a supplemental booklet of scenarios and faction-specific special rules (pseudo-Ogres and advanced Nihon weapons, etc.). * - I'm including MHWZs instead of fixed guns so either side can be a mobile force.

OGRE: The Battle of Shanghai Battlefield Pack
MSRP $29.95. Contains one Shockwave-style map ("S4"), a scenario booklet, and more 3D chipboard buildings such as lasers.

OGRE: Nihon Empire Army Pack
MSRP $49.95. Contains all the "advanced" units for the Nihon faction, including cruise missile crawlers and the Steel Samurai cybertank.

OGRE: Chinese Army Pack
MSRP $49.95. As for the Nihon Empire pack, with a Mk. V-equivalent pseudo-cybertank.

I raised the MSRP for the Army Packs over the Miniatures Sets to allow for 1-2 new sprues to be added and/or extra copies of the "basic" units.

Then, follow these up a few years later with an Israeli vs. Caliphate series ("The Battle for Meggido," perhaps). After that, a South American-themed series, then return to Combine vs. Paneuro.

Thoughts, and what would YOU think should come next?
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote