Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
Phantasm

Default [Supers/HT] Jet Pack stats

One of my players wants a jet pack for his character, and all things equal I'm inclined to permit it.

Here's what I came up with. It's 1980s superscience based on 1940s or late 1930s superscience; basically the kind of jet pack you'd see worn by James Bond or Golden/Silver Age supers.

Jet Pack
Originally designed in the early days of WWII, this style of jet pack was used by various minor Allied heroes during and after the War. Of note are Nochnye Vedmy (Night Witch) of the 1940s Soviet Super-Soldiers, and the Rocketeer, who operated in and around Los Angeles, California. Similar rocket packs have seen use by HYDRA forces in the past, as well as field agents in various intelligence agencies such as the CIA, KGB, and MI6.

The jet pack is a 50 lb. pack which straps to the user's back, consisting of a single jet turbine and two exhaust outlets, with controls that strap to the hands in order to activate. Early models required a helmet with a large rudder in order to steer; later models used the hand controls to activate or deactivate the exhaust to steer (that means in order to turn left the wearer must *release* the left hand button). (Rudder helmets add +1 to Hnd.)

The pack carries two gallons of fuel, carries on the top of the pack near the air intake. The jet pack is a unique design in that it can use either gasoline or jet fuel; jet fuel is preferred, and official wearers are advised to use 92 octane if they must use gasoline, preferably with commercial octane booster additives.

TL: 8^
ST/HP: 12
Hnd/SR: +1/1
HT: 12
Move: 10/20
LWt: 0.12 t
Load: 0.1 t
SM: -2
Occ: 1
DR: 10
Cost: $40,000
Range: 3 mi
Locations: E
Stall Speed: 0

Is it too light? Too heavy? Should I increase the range or the fuel tank? It's not meant to be used for sustained periods, particularly not flying around a city for hours on end.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers/HT] Jet Pack stats

After talking with someone much more mechanically knowledgeable, I've come up with different better stats!

Jet Pack
Originally designed in the early days of WWII, this style of jet pack was used by various minor Allied heroes during and after the War. Of note are Nochnye Vedmy (Night Witch) of the 1940s Soviet Super-Soldiers, and the Rocketeer, who operated in and around Los Angeles, California. Similar rocket packs have seen use by HYDRA forces in the past, as well as field agents in various intelligence agencies such as the CIA, KGB, and MI6.

The jet pack is a 25 lb. pack which straps to the user's back, consisting of a single jet turbine and two exhaust outlets, with controls that strap to the hands in order to activate. Early models required a helmet with a large rudder in order to steer; later models used the hand controls to activate or deactivate the exhaust to steer (that means in order to turn left the wearer must release the left hand button). More advanced models have multi-axis thrust vectoring with four-way hat button on the hand controls for greater control and stability. (Rudder helmets add +1 to Hnd, while the MATV system adds +1 to Hnd and SR.)

The pack carries three gallons of JP4 or diesel fuel, carried on the top of the pack near the air intake. The jet pack is a unique design in that it can use either jet or high cetane diesel fuel; jet fuel is preferred.

TL: 8^
ST/HP: 11
Hnd/SR: +1/1
HT: 12
Move: 15/75
LWt: 0.11 t
Load: 0.1 t
SM: -2
Occ: 1
DR: 10
Cost: $40,000
Range: 75 mi
Locations: E
Stall Speed: 0
Notes: use of diesel fuel drops the range to 50 miles.
Skill: Piloting (Flight Pack)

Thoughts?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote