Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Nyarli

Default Mind control - Conditioning

1)To Condition someone "your victim must be under your control,
cooperative, and conscious". How much should cost Conditioning, that works on the uncooperative victim?
2)How price enhancement that would waive need in Concentration maneuver to mantain mind control. Would one levcel of reduced time suffice? What about removing need in Concentrate maneuver to establish mind control?
Nyarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Mind control - Conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarli View Post
cooperative, and conscious". How much should cost Conditioning, that works on the uncooperative victim?
2)How price enhancement that would waive need in Concentration maneuver to mantain mind control. Would one levcel of reduced time suffice? What about removing need in Concentrate maneuver to establish mind control?
The most accepted way to handle the concentrate part of your question is with compartmentalized mind. To establish without control probably Cosmic 300% and as a GM I would be very leery of it. Note that the control could be less then obvious though.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Walrus

I'd suggest just +50% atop of usual Conditioning as buying additional Mind Control (Conditioning only -50%). I'd not allow it as Alternative ability though.

No need to maintain is Independent from Powers. Add Selectivity if you wish to maintain control sometimes.

I'd suggest Reflexive from Powers to use Mind Control at a glance or unarmed parry in combat with respective penalties. I wouldn't allow one level of Reduced Time to suffice in such hurry, however. Though you still may benefit from +20% to stop suicide or accident or something else when seconds have a mean.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Define what you mean by "uncooperative".

Quote:
Not an option. That's what Compartmentalized mind is for.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 07-25-2011 at 12:12 AM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Nyarli

OK, Compartmentalazied mind with "Limited: one ability" and "No mental separation" is exactly what i have searched for.

About cooperativeness: this sentence
Quote:
Your victim must be under your control,
cooperative, and conscious.
is pure RAW. I am not sure about it's meaning, but I think, that "under your control and cooperative" means, that if you want to bend someone psyche, he must agree with you, and not "agree because you control him", but agree as if there wasn't any control. If you think that sentence
Quote:
Your victim must be under your control,
cooperative, and conscious.
have any other meanings, I will be glad to hear your suggestions.

So, the matter is not " what I define as uncooperative", but "what rules define as cooperative".
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:

is pure RAW. I am not sure about it's meaning, but I think, that "under your control and cooperative" means, that if you want to bend someone psyche, he must agree with you, and not "agree because you control him", but agree as if there wasn't any control. .
Yeah that's what I thought. You have misinterpreted it. Read down to "Conditioning Only". Note how that you can deal with an uncooperative subject just by tying them down? Me, I would rule that victims are "uncooperative" when they are making breakout rolls or their body is somehow moving freely even as you control their minds.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Nyarli

So, anyone mindcontrolled already (usually) regarded as cooperative? In this case, i think either wording should be " mind controlled or cooperative" or it is just redundant. Thanks anyway.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
starslayer

Quote:
So, anyone mindcontrolled already (usually) regarded as cooperative? In this case, i think either wording should be " mind controlled or cooperative" or it is just redundant. Thanks anyway.
I believe the wording is there in case the psi has the 'conditioning only' modifier (or cannot mind control that person because of a failed mind control roll).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhancements, mind control