Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #51
Anders

Default Re: What does Unfit apply to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That seems less optional than extra effort in combat.

I really don't see the problem, though. If you are taking Unfit at all you either are playing a sedentary character who intends to remain sedentary, in which case you are going to avoid interpersonal violence and unlikely to use Extra Effort in Combat, even if it is an option in your campaign, or you intend to buy it off quickly, in which case the low cost is a feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Except the time usage rule officially wins over unitedly break down in costs over thing like Combat Reflexes as well.
*shrug* Like I said, I would prefer Unfit to be worth the penalties, but if you think differently that's your prerogative.

I doubt Kromm will use the Orbital Mind Control Laser on y...

There is no Orbital Mind Control Laser. Please ignore.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #52
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
*shrug* Like I said, I would prefer Unfit to be worth the penalties, but if you think differently that's your prerogative.
At -15, as you suggest, it really starts to feel like free points for sedentary non-combatant characters, and never-take-it level for anyone else. This seems to exclude accidental adventurer concepts for whom it otherwise is a perfect fit.

Has the cost of Unfit been a problem in actual play?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #53
Anders

No one's ever taken it. That may be because they think it's worth too little.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #54
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
At -15, as you suggest, it really starts to feel like free points for sedentary non-combatant characters, and never-take-it level for anyone else. This seems to exclude accidental adventurer concepts for whom it otherwise is a perfect fit.

Has the cost of Unfit been a problem in actual play?
The fact that I've seen people buy down FP (two or more reductions, thus [-6] and down), but haven't seen them willingly take Unfit, seems to be the problem.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #55
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
No one's ever taken it. That may be because they think it's worth too little.
I can't really imagine taking it a game with a lot of action and not intending to buy it off right away. Having it be cost more to buy off would seem to make it less attractive.

I also don't personally see a lot of people taking disadvantages with the intent to buy them off quickly in general, so this may be a player psychology thing.

One thing I would predict is that if it was much larger, and someone did take it, you would almost certainly get an argument about it taking a long time to get rid of. "But I was out of shape, and in a couple of weeks of regular workouts I was back to six minute miles. It certainly shouldn't take 3000 hours of exercise to get rid of Unfit!"

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-02-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #56
Anders

Quote:
One thing I would predict is that if it was much larger, and someone did take it, you would almost certainly get an argument about it taking a long time to get rid of. "But I was out of shape, and in a couple of weeks of regular workouts I was back to six minute miles. It certainly shouldn't take 3000 hours of exercise to get rid of Unfit!"
In that case I would a) gently remind the person who is the GM, and b) invite them to buy off the rest with character points.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #57
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
In that case I would a) gently remind the person who is the GM, and b) invite them to buy off the rest with character points.
Should it take three to five game sessions to buy off or only two or three?

Do you think that Fit and and Very Fit should be tripled too? If not then should it be really that much faster to get Fit than to lose Unfit?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #58
Anders

Quote:
Should it take three to five game sessions to buy off or only two or three?

Do you think that Fit and and Very Fit should be tripled too? If not then should it be really that much faster to get Fit than to lose Unfit?
Good questions. I don't know the answer off the top of my head.

Should Unfit really be worth less than -2 FP?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #59
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I also don't personally see a lot of people taking disadvantages with the intent to buy them off quickly in general, so this may be a player psychology thing.
Same here. In fact I can only think of one character I've ever made that bought off a Disad... and that was a "buy off" but rather a "turned it into a Perk" (Nightmares [-5] into Weird Dreams [1]).

Quote:
Which is why many of us ignore ye olde "Time Use" optional rules. They don't make sense outside of "early skill learning" and even then they have little function in cinematic campaigns.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #60
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Which is why many of us ignore ye olde "Time Use" optional rules. They don't make sense outside of "early skill learning" and even then they have little function in cinematic campaigns.
Also true. I don't know how much surgery is required to go from Attractive to Beautiful, but spending 1 600 hour under the blade sounds excessive.