Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #41
Anders

Default Re: Late TL8 skills (almost) everyone has

A towel is the ultimate cat-handling tool. But this is getting off-topic.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #42
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
You'd have to ask freelancers who've worked with me. I have no idea if I qualify for Administration, Diplomacy, Intimidation, Leadership, Teaching, etc. in their eyes.
I would assume that you have points in professional skill (game design), and a lot of points in Games (GURPS).

And I don't know about how you comes across in person but at least in writing you definitely come across as having diplomacy.

And I would be willing to bet that most gamers have at least improved defaults for occultism and/or literature.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #43
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post

I would assume that you have points in professional skill (game design), and a lot of points in Games (GURPS).
I'd never claim PS (Game Design). It's Steve's game; I'm just the caretaker. I don't think that GURPS Fourth Edition (vs. GURPS Third Edition) and the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game are new designs. I'd say that adapting old designs into new ones is probably a special familiarity of PS (Editor).

I definitely have too high a level in Games (GURPS), though. To the point where assigning GURPS stats to the universe creates intrusive thoughts. To the point where I know which volume among hundreds, and often roughly which page, holds a rules clause.

The combination is why I fear, if GURPS ever comes to an end, I'll be weirdly unemployable.

Quote:

And I don't know about how you comes across in person but at least in writing you definitely come across as having diplomacy.
To a fault, according to one ex and a couple of therapists. Apparently, I'm a conflict-avoidant person who truly believes in compromise, to the point where I've traded financial success for social success.

Quote:

And I would be willing to bet that most gamers have at least improved defaults for occultism and/or literature.
Potentially. The skill most editors of games have is rather high Research. You'd be surprised how many hundreds of utterly unrelated facts – book titles, Latin binomials, population densities, stellar luminosities, surgical instruments, etc., etc., etc. – I look up in the run of one day of manuscript review!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #44
shadowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
It could be treated like Literacy, with a perk/quirk relationship, depending on what we choose as the baseline.
I like that solution, it's elegant! And matches what I've seen in person: there's the folks who don't know the first thing (illiterate), the folks who can poke at their programs so long as nothing changes (broken), the folks who can use a system reasonably well and adapt to changes with a little thought (literate), and the people who easily think in computer (educated/native).

As for sysops, I use an IQ/A /TL skill for that, similar to Electronics Operation or various Professional Skills.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #45
Donny Brook

Quote:
I think I see the disconnect, then. You're assuming that Housekeeping is the professional skill of a maid. I wouldn't. I'd call that Professional Skill (Maid), as it's at least as tough as Cooking (also Average). Housekeeping covers all the aspects of Cooking that non-chefs can do, of cleaning that non-maids can do, of Accounting that cover home economics, and so on. It's a bit like Soldier: you can roll "in a situation where someone with one of those skills would roll at +4 or better for a routine task."
While I appreciate what you're saying, what I was really trying to get at is that most people don't have enough Housekeeping know-how (of the exemplified cleaning tasks or the undiscussed cooking tasks) to amount to a whole character point of skill.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #46
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
A towel is the ultimate cat-handling tool. But this is getting off-topic.
My cat handling skills tend to flip between Bribery and Intimidation.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #47
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
I'd never claim PS (Game Design). It's Steve's game; I'm just the caretaker. I don't think that GURPS Fourth Edition (vs. GURPS Third Edition) and the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game are new designs. I'd say that adapting old designs into new ones is probably a special familiarity of PS (Editor).

I definitely have too high a level in Games (GURPS), though. To the point where assigning GURPS stats to the universe creates intrusive thoughts. To the point where I know which volume among hundreds, and often roughly which page, holds a rules clause.

The combination is why I fear, if GURPS ever comes to an end, I'll be weirdly unemployable.
There may be a default between knowing how to be a good GURPS GM and at least the theory side of PS (Game Design). Your advice and wisdom on the side of being a good GURPS GM that you've shared on the forums or that I've encountered in the supplements you've written has improved my understanding of how to craft good video games (indie game development is my day job).

Quote:
To a fault, according to one ex and a couple of therapists. Apparently, I'm a conflict-avoidant person who truly believes in compromise, to the point where I've traded financial success for social success.
That... doesn't sound like a fault to me. It sounds like valuing the right things in life. I mean, sure, it can get you into trouble when it comes to dealing with bad faith actors and situations of oppression or abuse. But IMO Social Success > Financial Success.

Quote:
Potentially. The skill most editors of games have is rather high Research. You'd be surprised how many hundreds of utterly unrelated facts – book titles, Latin binomials, population densities, stellar luminosities, surgical instruments, etc., etc., etc. – I look up in the run of one day of manuscript review!
Just extrapolating from the number of unrelated facts I look up for the prep work for a single session or short arch of an urban fantasy adventure game I run in GURPS, I don't think I would be surprised. =p
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #48
Tyneras

I know GURPS is not intended as a reality simulator, but I do like having a really solid model of "normal people" to get an idea how exceptional the main characters are.

There are times I question if I even have 10 points in skills combined. I probably have Driving (Automatic transmission Automobile) [2], which might be my single highest skill. Even jobs that supposedly required my engineering degree felt like they could be done by any 16 year old that could stay focused and pay attention. I might be less skilled now than when I graduated high school.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #49
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Even jobs that supposedly required my engineering degree felt like they could be done by any 16 year old that could stay focused and pay attention. I might be less skilled now than when I graduated high school.
Good old impostor syndrome
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #50
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
I know GURPS is not intended as a reality simulator, but I do like having a really solid model of "normal people" to get an idea how exceptional the main characters are.
That's very understandable, but to a certain extent adjusting a game to produce recognisable resolution in that area and at that scale comes at a cost in complex character representation and laborious character generation.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote