Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2015, 11:19 PM   #21
Koningkrush

Default Re: Broad jumps compared to world record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
I use Move x 16" for long jump (halve with neither a running start or skill roll, double with both) and Move x 4" for a high jump. I've yet to find a situation where it's inferior to the weird-as-hell RAW. You can still use half Jumping skill.

It gives the world record jumper Move 11 (or Jumping-22), and Usain Bolt a 32 feet maximum distance, which is pretty tolerable if jumping is going to be based off Move.

It also gives they Move guy 1 1.5 feet, which is certainly better than jumping backwards.
This is actually pretty decent. It gives acceptable realism. Basically, I don't want average people to be jumping like they have broken legs and I don't want world class athletes jumping 50 plus feet. This does a okay job for both.
Koningkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Very humancentric, but that's necessary when dealing with such a specialized form of movement.
Housecats can sprint up to 30 mph but can't long jump 32+ feet.

How is move (11 times 16 inches)times 2 getting 32 feet?
I get either 29 1/3 feet for straight math.
Or 35 1/2 feet is adding 20% sprint bonus.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:07 AM   #23
Lord Azagthoth

I never quite really understand why Basic Move is based on Basic Speed.

If my players raise (or create a PC with higher attributes) DX or HT and therefore Basic Speed, I give them points back if Basic Move would otherwise also increase. For a SM 0 character it just stays at 5 without any justification by the player why it should be raised.

I have completely disconnected the secondary attributes from their parent attributes and player can upgrade each attribute independently. This also calrifies some rules when getting hit or exhausted where they list that you get a penalty at the basic attribute and at the secondary attribute (but they do not say if its cumulative).

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #24
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Very humancentric, but that's necessary when dealing with such a specialized form of movement.
Housecats can sprint up to 30 mph but can't long jump 32+ feet.
16 and 4 are obviously the human multipliers. It's a lot easier to change the multiplier here than the wonky formula in RAW, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
How is move (11 times 16 inches)times 2 getting 32 feet?
I get either 29 1/3 feet for straight math.
Or 35 1/2 feet is adding 20% sprint bonus.
It isn't. It's two different things: the world record is 29 feet (so Move 11) and Usain Bolt runs at Move 12 (per previous poster), giving him 32 feet.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
16 and 4 are obviously the human multipliers. It's a lot easier to change the multiplier here than the wonky formula in RAW, though.

It isn't. It's two different things: the world record is 29 feet (so Move 11) and Usain Bolt runs at Move 12 (per previous poster), giving him 32 feet.
It's still weird to imagine giving faster awesome jumpers like cats Reduced Jumping disadvantages.

Oh, ok. My mistake.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #26
Skarg

I'm counting on you guys to come up with a proper formula in this thread, where both the average and high-skill numbers come out right.

It's basically solving a system of equations, isn't it? Of course, all the physical activity formulae should be tuned so they all come out right. :-)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged

One problem is that human jumping is almost entirely about explosive leg strength to weight ratios. Skill keeps you from screwing up, but it's most important with inches, not feet, in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #28
Koningkrush

Alright, I decided to come back to this in order to actually figure it out.
My math is based entirely on that average long jump for high school athletes is 16 feet while the world record is 30 feet rounding up.

First off, I changed the Jumping Skill so that it can't replace BM. Now it can give an extra yard on a success, and two extra yards on a critical success. Failure costs you a yard, and critical failure causes you to trip up right as you're jumping.
For high jump, replace yard with 6 inches.
Jumping Skill can be used to exceed the maximum for running jumps.

Other functions for the Jumping Skill are focused on accurate jumps, not jump distance. If you want to jump to a specific hex rather than go your full distance based on prior movement to the jump, then a jump roll is made. On a failure, you either end up one hex short or one hex too far. Penalties are added based on how small the target is. Usually an acrobatics roll will be made afterwards to balance on the target if it is really small such as a wire. Critical failure is the same as above.

I changed the equations to making BM 5 cause an average jump for High School athletes while BM 14 causes the world record with a successful roll of the Jumping Skill.

Standing Broad Jump: BM/2 + 5 = Distance in Feet (Double this is maximum Running Broad Jump).
Running Broad Jump: BM/2 + 5 + Yards Ran = Distance in Feet.

High Jump used similar statistics.

Standing High Jump: 1.5*BM + 4 = Vertical Inches. (Double this is maximum Running Broad Jump)
Running High Jump: 1.5*BM + 4 + (Yards Ran)*2 = Vertical Inches.

Last edited by Koningkrush; 12-19-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #29
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
BM 14
There are people running (not even sprinting) 50 kph?

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #30
Koningkrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
There are people running (not even sprinting) 50 kph?
BM 14 is what you get if you Sprint with BM 11 and add 20% extra effort.

I kind of realized I based everything off fastest velocity a person can possibly move, but then saw that jumping distance is still based off normal BM, not the 14 with Sprint and Extra Effort.

Regardless, it still works out fine for everything else. It just forces someone with BM 11 or 12 to use Extra Effort to reach world records, or even slightly beyond.

With BM 11, a full run, a critical success with the Jumping Skill, and 20% extra effort, you can break the world record by about 1-2 feet.

Last edited by Koningkrush; 12-19-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Tags
house rule, jumping, realism