Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 09-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #61
mercenary30

Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

0 to 60 in four seconds flat and a top end over 100mph, the PULSAR is sure to impress. Sleek and sure the PULSAR hugs the curves like a race car and the flaming oil dischargers ensure that the opposition won’t. The High Resolution targeting system makes sure you hit everything your machine gun points at. There are not too many vehicles outside of the racetrack that could outmaneuver this little baby, so reach for the stars and bring home a PULSAR by Furious Machines.

PULSAR
Subcompact, X-Hvy Chassis, Hvy Suspension, 4 FP Radial PR tires, 150 cid w/TH/BP/VP, 5 gal Duelling tank, Driver, MG front, 3 linked FODs 1 left, front, and back, Link from MG to Discharger link, HR SWC, HD Shocks, HDABS, Sloped, FP Armor F35(RP) R19 L19 B25 T10 U10, ACC 15, HC 5, Top 115, 2757.5lbs., $26,176

Last edited by mercenary30; 12-22-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Fixed an illegal design
mercenary30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #62
MIB 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary30
0 to 60 in three seconds flat and a top end over 100mph, the PULSAR is sure to impress.
You can't put a supercharger on anything smaller than 150 cid.
MIB 1473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #63
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 1473
You can't put a supercharger on anything smaller than 150 cid.
If he cut's out the supercharger and increases to a 150 cid w/BP,TH & a VP Turbo , he'd get better performance anyway - 117.5mph - but Accel would drop to 15 . If he dropped the weight to under 2660lbs , the Acc would be back up to 20 , and the top speed increase to 120mph !

If you'd really want a fast gasburner with a 150 cid engine , perhaps a streamlined Med RevTrike would be a better idea ?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #64
MIB 1473

Reversed trikes make great racers. Cycles would be even better, if not for the HC penalty.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #65
Racer

Of course he could dump the sloped armour and gas engine , and go for a Medium PP w/HD High Torque Motors . Hell of a lot cheaper , 20mph acceleration up to 80mph and 120mph top speed .

I try to be not too critical of others , but I feel that many of the designs posted here haven't been properly thought out . It brought to mind this statement by Ken Scott from ADQ 6/1 - the sentence in bold in particular :

As I mentioned in the introduction to Vehicle Guide 2, autoduelling changed in the four years since the first AADA Vehicle Guide. New body styles introduced more variety into vehicle design. Defensive technology advanced, keeping pace with the dramatic increase in the selection and capabilities of offensive weaponry. Even the rules changed, requiring new tactics. All in all, I think Car Wars became a more enjoyable game. No longer is it possible to slap a car together haphazardly and expect to be competitive.

The cars in Vehicle Guide 2 are, for the most part, much more survivable than earlier designs. More armor, solid (or even metal solid) tires, wheelguards arid hubs, and lots of component armor seem to be the rule these days. Metal armor backed up by component armor can allow a vehicle to absorb an amount of damage that seems illegal. Fireproof armor, component armor and tires will keep away those nasty bum mods for a little while. The massive damage that modern weapons can deliver can be survived, but the best way to keep rolling is to avoid being hit.
Many of the cars in VG2 have an abundance of maneuverability equipment. Spoilers and airdams are common, as are heavy-duty shocks and improved brakes. Good handling lets you go faster, and going faster helps you dodge those rockets and ram plates. Besides, the game is more fun with cars zipping about at death-defying speeds than with lawn-mowers puttering around at a nice, safe 30. Enjoyment, after all, is what the game is all about. Use the cars in Vehicle Guide 2, have fun, and keep on duelling!

I hope this dosen't put anyone off posting their designs - I just sometimes reckon they should think about them a little more .
Old 10-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #66
Racer

An easily customisable Div 5 Cycle - hard to hit , with good armour .

Morton V : Hvy. Cycle ; Imp. suspension ; Small PP w/SCs ; 2 HD tires . Cyclist . Rocket Launcher F . 54 pts . Sloped Plastic Armor F 30 R , B 24 , 10pt component armor around each of Cyclist and power plant , 2-4pt cycle wheelguards , Cost : $4,043 , Wgt : 1,290lbs , HC : 1, Top Speed: 90, Accel: 5.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #67
ehos

There are basically certain things that all common designs just 'must' have.

For example, cycles need radial tires. They're cheap, they get rid of the biggest weakness a bike has.

Same with gas engines. I think they're a bit too expensive for what they do (especially with HDTM's, which I think are WAY too cheap for what they do). They only advantage gas engines have is weight(?).

Weapons as well. There's only certain weapons that should be in certain cars/divisions. I'm pretty sure we've basically all figured them out.

Basically building a car is a mathematical equation with very little variance.
ehos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #68
MIB 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehos
For example, cycles need radial tires. They're cheap, they get rid of the biggest weakness a bike has.
I'd argue that the lack of side armor is a bigger weakness, and component armor can be even cheaper than radial tires.

Quote:
They only advantage gas engines have is weight(?).
Space is another big advantage when building a car.

Quote:
Weapons as well. There's only certain weapons that should be in certain cars/divisions. I'm pretty sure we've basically all figured them out.
This I'm less convinced of. Some weapons are too expensive to be considered at lower divisions, but most of those are almost never used anyway. Some have substitutes that aren't much more expensive and so will rarely get any use at higher divisions, but there aren't many of those.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:52 AM   #69
ehos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 1473
I'd argue that the lack of side armor is a bigger weakness, and component armor can be even cheaper than radial tires.

Space is another big advantage when building a car.

This I'm less convinced of. Some weapons are too expensive to be considered at lower divisions, but most of those are almost never used anyway. Some have substitutes that aren't much more expensive and so will rarely get any use at higher divisions, but there aren't many of those.
So we can add component armor as de facto on a cycle. This is my point, there are certain items that just belong on every single design (accounting for division/arena etc variance).

Weapons are almost set by division and to a lesser point, 'purpose'.

And items like Ram plates (considering that almost half the kills are by rams in Car Wars, especially lower divs). Either you have a plate, or you know how to avoid it. (Er, the third option is you just lose...)
ehos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #70
Racer

Quote:

That's true on the road , and in higher divisions - but in Div 5 almost anything can work I find . My Morton V is only $4,043 , which gives lots of scope to customise - upgrade to HD Radials & Hvy suspension in a tight arena : drop 2pts or armor , upgrade to PR tires , add a SWC and give the Cyclist Body Armor in a more open one .

Quote:
Basically building a car is a mathematical equation with very little variance.
More so in the arena I find - the basic Compact with a Med PP +PCs , 3 spaces of weaponry and sloped armor ; works very well in both Div 10 & 15 , but often lacks against a faster opponent on the road . If all your designs lack variance , perhaps you could do with a little more imagination ! ;-)
I've designed a 40' metal armored dumper trailer , armed with HMGs in sponson turrets and FOJs back . Other players were amazed no-one had come up with a similar idea before !

Last edited by Racer; 10-27-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote