Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Hot Spots: Renaissance Venice

As we need a fleet
And our own weight in ducats
Our journey starts here
— A builder of empires
Many metropolises have a valid claim on "the most important city of the European Renaissance." We might judge them on the basis of their beauty, culture, and great minds . . . or on the strength of their wealth, raw military might, and power abroad. But only a few cities enjoy all of these advantages, and Venezia stands tall among them.

This island city-state is home to extraordinary coastal architecture and beautiful works of art (including breathtaking glasswork). Its cosmopolitan attitude and impressive publishing industry attract thinkers from the West and East alike. Yet the bottom line is always in sight; Venezia's shrewd merchants make it the beating heart of a vast and successful trade empire. And those who perceive this as soft power beware: Venezia is a mighty military machine, capable of churning out a cutting-edge war galley in a day!

GURPS Hot Spots: Renaissance Venice – the latest volume in the GURPS Hot Spots series – brings you Venezia at its 15th- and 16th-century zenith. It explains the city's origins and layout, talks of its noteworthy citizens and sights, describes life at every level of society, and delves into the deals and politics (and sometimes conspiracies) that keep everything running smoothly. This comes with adventure seeds, advice on using Venezia in a campaign, a solid bibliography for those hungry for more, and the excellent maps and floor plans we've come to expect from author Matt Riggsby.

Viva Venezia!

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0663
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: GURPS Hot Spots: Renaissance Venice

Woo freeking hoo! Seriously excited about this. My interest in Venice started via Renaissance artworks, and it's spiraled out from there. Loooove seeing this!!
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Is there going to be a whole renaissance hot spots sub-series? Or at least GHS:R Rome for a trilogy?

Haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but already contemplating a renaissance game...
Old 07-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post

Is there going to be a whole renaissance hot spots sub-series? Or at least GHS:R Rome for a trilogy?
There will be whatever GURPS Hot Spots items our freelancers feel qualified and inspired to write. If an informed, capable writer proposes GURPS Hot Spots: Renaissance Rome – or GURPS Hot Spots: Renaissance Milan, which would be just as relevant – I'll probably approve it if it looks as if it would be well-written.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
... from author Matt Riggsby.
I'm sold! Everything from him is solid.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
I have no specific plans to do Rome, or indeed any other city in Renaissance Italy, but then again I had no plans to do Venice when Florence came out, so you never know. My interests at the moment are well away from Europe, but I do keep coming back because it's just so damn well documented in sources which are easily physically accessible to me, written in languages I can read.

Rome would seem appropriate, but were I to do another in the series, I might look to a smaller, less important city like Genoa, Milan, or Bologna, or perhaps go even farther south to Napoli. But this is, of course, purely speculative at the moment.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Rome would seem appropriate, but were I to do another in the series, I might look to a smaller, less important city like Genoa, Milan, or Bologna, or perhaps go even farther south to Napoli. But this is, of course, purely speculative at the moment.
I dont get a lot out of this series, though they have uses.
The Apparatus of Power chapter was the most interesting to me.
The entire book is of course solid, I just dont run historical games so I look for what I can port to another setting.
I happen to have some marshlands on the coast that I can drop this city in and use a lot of the feel of the city.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
Tinman

This is aewsome! Thank you Matt Riggsby.
The importance of Venice in the Renaissance can not be overstated.
I'm looking forward to digging into this ASAP.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I have no specific plans to do Rome, or indeed any other city in Renaissance Italy, but then again I had no plans to do Venice when Florence came out, so you never know. My interests at the moment are well away from Europe, but I do keep coming back because it's just so damn well documented in sources which are easily physically accessible to me, written in languages I can read.

I'd welcome all of the above, but would also like to suggest fair Verona.

Also, if anyone who studies Historical European Martial Arts or the equivalent is reading, a nice companion volume to Hot Spots set in Renaissance Italy would be a GURPS Martial Arts: The Flower of Battle, covering all Italian martial arts from Fiori to the Bolognese and Venetian masters.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

Also, if anyone who studies Historical European Martial Arts or the equivalent is reading, a nice companion volume to Hot Spots set in Renaissance Italy would be a GURPS Martial Arts: The Flower of Battle, covering all Italian martial arts from Fiori to the Bolognese and Venetian masters.
This is true.