Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
faitfull

Default can you use rifle as a pistol skill if ST is very high?

Hi

We are currently playing a Ultra tech TL10 adventure, and my character have now managed to get the money to buy himself a powerarmor that grant a +15 to lifting ST (UT186).

So far I have used dual heavy laser pistols(UT115), however sometimes we meet enemies with alot of armor. So me and my GM discuss whether or not you can use laser rifles (UT116) using laser pistol skill (beam pistol). Not defaulting, just using the pistol skill given that I now effective can carry the weapons with ST25.
faitfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: can you use rifle as a pistol skill if ST is very high?

I would say "yes", for the Cool Factor alone. :)

I believe there are rules in either Campaigns or one of the -Tech books for using a two-handed weapon one-handed, but I'm not entirely sure where yet.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

It's certainly possible to use them one-handed, and they can have a pistol grip. I'd use the pistol skill for that.

You should expect some loss off accuracy from using the gun without a stock, though.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by faitfull View Post
So me and my GM discuss whether or not you can use laser rifles (UT116) using laser pistol skill (beam pistol).
No, but you could create power armor scaled pistols that do increased damage.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by faitfull View Post
So far I have used dual heavy laser pistols(UT115), however sometimes we meet enemies with alot of armor. So me and my GM discuss whether or not you can use laser rifles (UT116) using laser pistol skill (beam pistol). Not defaulting, just using the pistol skill given that I now effective can carry the weapons with ST25.
I'd probably let you if you insisted, and half the Acc scores of the rifles. Using two hands, shoulder bracing, and the better sights is pretty much the difference in both the skills required and the accuracy of the weapons.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Jürgen Hubert

Speaking as someone who trained with both pistols and assault rifles, I wouldn't consider this to be realistic - your stance with rifles it completely different than with pistols and the aiming process is as well, no matter what the actual weight is. If you are feeling experimental, you might remove the stock of the rifles and convert them into something similar to an oversized pistol - but at the very least this should reduce the Accuracy bonus of the rifle to something similar of that of pistols, if not more so.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
(E)

I've used a shotgun skeet shooting one handed for a while. Because why not.
A rifle shaped weapon and grip results in the recoil coming at an odd angle. Say double recoil?

The mass of the weapon is in the wrong place too. Bulk penalties would increase.

None of the aiming features (sights and ergonomics) line up. Penalize accuracy.

You usually hold a firearm so the barrel is in line with the shooters eye. You may have the stock aimed at your face as a result if you are using pistol skill.

Holding a rifle at arms length to lock your arm against the recoil means you have very little leverage and take up a lot of space.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

The idea that you can't use a rifle in one hand is incompatible with rules and plausibility both.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that it's definitely possible.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The idea that you can't use a rifle in one hand is incompatible with rules and plausibility both.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that it's definitely possible.
Sure, but it wouldn't use pistol skill, it would use your rifle default from pistol.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
starslayer

I'd say acc goes. All of it, gone.

But if you have the ST to hold it one handed you can do so.

Convert it to a pistol by putting a pistol stock on it, changing the sights to be intended to aim down at a distance, then it has a pistol-like acc bonus.

5.56 series rifles with a buffer have basically no recoil, neither do .22s, and both are light enough to use one handed (both also notably have pistol versions), but you can't even use the scope, rail sights are awkward to line up due to your cheek not resting on the butt of the rifle, its very front heavy, but the grips are not arranged to let you bear that weight, its a mess for all the factors that an accuracy bonus would cover- so no accuracy bonus. Using your pistol skill however should be allowed.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote