Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #151
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: [ATE] Farming example

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Umm... low tech conpendium 3? it doesn't give rules for the actual rolls, but it has quite a lot...
Right, and in addition quite a few Pyramid articles also deal with this:
Matt Riggsby, At Play in the Fields (Pyr 33) and Lord of the Manor (Pyr 52)
C.R. Rice, Survival at the End (Pyr 90)

Last edited by safisher; 07-25-2016 at 09:28 AM.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #152
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
GURPS would be very unique if it got some super-thorough farming rules in print. There are 'Harvest Moon' fans, and building food supply is part of Warcraft RTS games. For people who want to build a base and do long-duration games this could be very fun component.

It seems this aspect of roleplaying is ignored because everyone's assumed to be an adventurer who will find a treasure chest and be able to use that to buy rations from the local supermarket in the town they're traveling through.

Rarely do you actually take on the role of food-producer, and when you do, it's usually as a wizard who can conjure food up. Actually non-supernatural rules for producing things (food or otherwise) seem to be absent in every RPG even though I'd love to see them.
Harn Manor isn't perfect, but it's pretty good.

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/...rev_5171.phtml

I'd dearly love to see GURPS do something like it -- preferably, something that covers survival and agriculture from TL0 through TL5, with some discussion about TL6-8 (although industrial agriculture is not at all adventurous), along with options for TL 9-11 (at TL12, you probably just have Star Trek type matter replicators, where the only input is energy and -- perhaps -- organic molecules). The book (or series) could then devote a fair amount of time to post-apocalyptic survival.

The book should definitely be for GMs who want to do world-building from the ground up, whether a single community (as in Harn Manor), or take a look at the agricultural economy of an entire region, which tells you about the pattern of life for most people, and what sorts of diets they have -- and, by extension, how much surplus they produce (of what types) that could be available for trade.

After that, build on what that has, for "GURPS: Merchant-Adventurers" for TL0-5, and post-apocalyptic settings.

You'd have to go with multiple TLs, so as to allow people to pick and choose, and compare and contrast, and broaden the interest for what would mostly be a niche-product for GMs who have the time and interest in world-building to that level of detail, or who want to run merchant-adventurer games (modern communications technology makes merchant-adventuring obsolete).

That said, it's almost certainly too deep into a niche to ever actually see resources devoted to the production of any such thing. Which is too bad, really.

Last edited by tshiggins; 07-25-2016 at 10:40 AM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #153
(E)

Lots and lots of variables when dealing with trying to model farming for gaming purposes.

I did have a few ideas while doing all the farms for this thread though.
- high detail would be required. Each crop deserves an entry in a table (maybe 400+ species are farmed with thousands of specific varieties)
- Randomness is a huge factor.
- Some cultures do the same thing quite differently.
It's a project I would like to be a part of.
A spreadsheet is very useful.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #154
Tallor

Wouldn't merchant-adventuring go back into style with the advent of FTL travel, assuming a lack of FTL communications?

It would be like the Old West all over again; couriers, scouts, pioneers and prospectors looking for greener pastures (planets), with outlaws hopping aboard tramp freighters and disappearing beyond radio range.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #155
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
That said, it's almost certainly too deep into a niche to ever actually see resources devoted to the production of any such thing. Which is too bad, really.
Basically, it's already done, in Low-tech and its Companions, High-Tech, and Ultra-Tech. If you add After the End, and the Pyramid articles I listed above, you are pretty well set. Even Dungeon Fantasy has a Wilderness Adventuring book. Honestly this has been a widely discussed, and executed, topic for several years now.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #156
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Basically, it's already done, in Low-tech and its Companions, High-Tech, and Ultra-Tech. If you add After the End, and the Pyramid articles I listed above, you are pretty well set. Even Dungeon Fantasy has a Wilderness Adventuring book. Honestly this has been a widely discussed, and executed, topic for several years now.
There is something to be said about consolidating the mechanics and expanding upon the rules. Which is something that can only really be done by giving the subject it's one book.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #157
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Wouldn't merchant-adventuring go back into style with the advent of FTL travel, assuming a lack of FTL communications?

It would be like the Old West all over again; couriers, scouts, pioneers and prospectors looking for greener pastures (planets), with outlaws hopping aboard tramp freighters and disappearing beyond radio range.
Oh, yes, certainly. I'd love to see a book devoted to merchant-adventuring in a space setting. G:Traveller Far Trader and Starports did some of that, but were quite specific to the G:Traveller setting. Use some of that work already done for a more general G:Space Tramp Merchants & Adventure Cargoes.

It should have a general discussion about the types of settings in which small "Firefly" or "Millennium Falcon" style merchant vessels could be successful (as you noted, "slower and cheaper" FTL with no "subspace radio," in which information travels only as fast as the fastest ships), along with some discussions about how to apply "Merchant" and "Economics" and similar skills.

Also, throw in some random tables to help you determine the quality and quantity of the cargoes available (which the GM can then customize, based on the specific goods, information and services available on a particular planet), as well as create and manage the sorts of events that can throw wrinkles into the characters' carefully-crafted time-tables ("Whaddaya mean, the earthquake damaged the spaceport generators?! We need to get those creates of cheap Tlazolteotl mescal on board now, so we can make the sales before the Settlement Day celebration on Harcourt, next month!").

Cap it all off with deck plans of several different merchant and passenger vessels at various tech levels (with and without spin-habitats and/or magical "deck-plate" artificial gravity), with references to how to produce ships with similar technical assumptions using G:Spaceships, and I know at least two or three other people, besides me, who would buy that.

Last edited by tshiggins; 07-26-2016 at 10:00 AM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #158
(E)

Just got the latest update on lab meat.
What was 25 million dollars for the first burger dropped to 250000. Then to 3000, then 8.
Last night I heard the latest price was 2.80 per pound so maybe $0.70 a burger.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #159
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Just got the latest update on lab meat.
What was 25 million dollars for the first burger dropped to 250000. Then to 3000, then 8.
Last night I heard the latest price was 2.80 per pound so maybe $0.70 a burger.
$25 MILLION?? I can't even imagine how expensive the earliest double-double would be.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #160
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Thanks for keeping this going! I like the descriptions of undergrowth and how to move through it in different places.

I have sometimes pondered a fantasy setting or post-apocalyptic game set around the Salish Sea. Mountains and beeches and forests, terrible storms and shoals, lots of water-borne chase scenes ... and two great cities with a population in the millions to loot/emit radioactive monsters/escape from in a stolen Coast Guard cutter pursued by King Salmon, in a PA game.
National geographic just did an article on the region with a nice map and an overview of the Pacific's ecology (Sept 2016)

Also I have made progress on the "leaving the bunker" write up for minuteman.

Tags
after the end, ate, climate, farming, livestock.