Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
Algarik

Default Gurps Magic - Multiple questions about Scrolls

How much energy do you actually need to pay when you enchant a scroll?

1. Let's say i wanna make a Minor healing scroll, which can be cast with 1 to 3 FP, how much do i need to craft it?

2.Let's say i wanna make a Fireball scroll, which can be cast with 1 to 3 FP (Depending on magery), from one to three time. It can goes between 1 to 9 fp. How much do i pay?

2.a. Is the mage using the scroll limited to it's own magery when using the scroll or he's limited scroll creator's magery?
Algarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Gurps Magic - Multiple questions about Scrolls

I treat it like Area spells so its base cost but the caster can spend more FP for stronger effect. I did not see any specific references on a quick check of Scroll and the FAQ.
I go with Magery of the enchanter, just as you go with their skill.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Nothing, you spend days equal to the base energy cost of the spell to write the scroll instead of FP. It takes one day to write a Fireball scroll, it is up to the casting mage how much energy they wish to spend (I would suggest that the limit for missile spells depends on the Magery of the mage scribing the scroll rather than the mage casting from the scroll, but that is just me). Now, you could change Scroll to having energy stored within the scroll, meaning that the effect of a scroll would depend on the energy invested in the scroll, but that is up to the individual GM.

There is a lot to be said about changing Scroll to store energy as well as a spell, though the mage would not notice the FP drain over the course of a day. In that case, Scroll becomes very valuable to mages because they allow mages to store up FP in advance. It also allows spells with very high FP costs, like Resurrection, to become marketable, as any mage could cast the spell using the spell. I would suggest quintupling the value of Scrolls (to a minimum of $165 per FP) just to help balance out the additional utility of scrolls (the cost of a Resurrection Scroll would go from $9900 to $49,500, but I think that most people would find it worthwhile even with the quintupling of the cost as they would not need to pay the FP for the spell, as it would be contained with the scroll).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Algarik

Alright thanks you very much, i think i'll go your way, it's easier and it makes scroll more afordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
There is a lot to be said about changing Scroll to store energy as well as a spell, though the mage would not notice the FP drain over the course of a day. .
There's already something that store spell for future use in Gurps - Magic, it's called a spell stone, it's on page 60 under the enchantement spells section.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Tom H.

We got into some surprising nuances about scrolls earlier this year in a thread in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game forum.

Kromm made some valuable clarifications:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=28

Sorry, but I didn't get around to wrapping my head back into the details to see if they applied to your situation.

Also, the DFRPG may have constrained scrolls a bit more than standard GURPS.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
Algarik

Oh boy that make it so much more complicated. Especially since I'm trying to fill a magic shop inventory, i think i might go with minimum cost in price for scrolls otherwise i think i wont ever see the sunlight again lol.

But thank you very much it do answers some of my questions!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #7
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algarik View Post
. . . otherwise i think i wont ever see the sunlight again lol.
I'm sure there's a scroll for that too.

. . . but I won't ask you to price it for me ;-)

To me, the real value of that thread was to understand exact details about missile spells.

There was some ambiguity about whether a mage finishes the distinct casting of a missile spell when he makes his success roll or once the last turn of missile enlargement is completed. Kromm clarified that the casting is finished upon the success roll even though the rule books loosely indicated time to cast as 1 to 3 seconds.

This definition circumvented some picky but messy consequences with regard to energy costs.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
Algarik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I'm sure there's a scroll for that too.
Yeah but scrolls won't work in no-mana settings :'(

And Yeah thanks, it's definitely a nice thread, it makes things way less confusing.

Tags
scrolls