Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: GURPS WW2 Air Combat?

Yep, I agree. And there are other WW2 air combat wargames that could be considered, of course. I just thought the GURPS WWII - Their Finest Hour book was interesting and it provided information of aircraft and squadrons and so on in a way that made me think there might be an air combat system somewhere, but I don't think there seems to be the sort of one I'd be looking for outside integrating GURPS with an 3rd party wargame, though if someone did the work to do so, it could be a very cool combo greater than the sum of the parts.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:16 AM   #12
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Hmm, checking GURPS Vehicles, I'm only seeing "aerial combat" at page 164, which has a nice detailed rule from aircraft strafing ground targets...
On p.160 it starts the dogfighting rules. These work really and I’ve used them in combination with the other rules for an extensive air Combat campaign.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #13
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
On p.160 it starts the dogfighting rules. These work really and I’ve used them in combination with the other rules for an extensive air Combat campaign.
Is there more than one printing of GURPS Vehicles? I have the first printing, and don't see any dogfighting rules on p.160. 160 in my book is just the middle of the Advanced Damage rules.

Edit: Oh I see, there is a 2nd edition Vehicles, which does add some dogfighting rules. (Hmm I just bought a bunch of GURPS stuff today... not sure I want to buy a PDF of a slightly different version of GURPS Vehicles just to see another version of abstract dogfight rules. Hmm, looks like hard copies can be had from Amazon for less than the PDF costs, though I'm not sure I want one of those either.)

Last edited by Skarg; 11-28-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #14
mlangsdorf

Vehicles 2nd edition is supposed to be a little easier to use, so you may consider buying it for that reason alone.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #15
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
If you want a tactical hex map dog-fight, maybe try the spaceship combat rules in Traveller: Interstellar Wars?
Traveller was based on the assumption of variable gravity depending on the nearness and mass of bodies, temperature extremes, no presumption of atmospheric resistance, no horizon and weapons and sensors that range a significant fraction of a planetary diameter. Being up sun still has it's advantages but not to the same degree.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #16
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
not sure I want to buy a PDF of a slightly different version of GURPS Vehicles just to see another version of abstract dogfight rules.
It's far more than the dogfighting rules. There's a weapon design system in the second edition, which might be of use to you, plus a ton of rules for fighting in and campaigning with vehicles. I highly recommend it. Most of it is easily ported to 4e.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #17
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
It's far more than the dogfighting rules. There's a weapon design system in the second edition, which might be of use to you, plus a ton of rules for fighting in and campaigning with vehicles. I highly recommend it. Most of it is easily ported to 4e.
Ok, thanks. I will, though I already have a stack of unread new GURPS stuff to read. :)

Oh, I see your tag says you're co-author of GURPS High-Tech... I also just learned I need to re-buy High-Tech for the new version of the travel rules! :)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #18
Rivenshield

/raises hand

Just delving into the WW2 book and I am having oodles of fun with it. Two questions:

1) Re: aerial engines. How do I determine the cost for these? The instructions tell me to multiply the cost by x5, but doing so makes -- for example -- the Zero's engine cost more than the listed price for the Zero. Do I multiply a turbocharged gas engine by x5 *instead* of x2? Or do I just shrug and accept that Imperial Japan could build things more cheaply than my fictional military-industrial complex can?

2) One of the most important features of any period-correct combat aircraft is its service ceiling. Both GURPS Vehicles and the WW2 book appear to gloss this over. Are there rules for establishing a service ceiling for prop aircraft in some other supplement? something that factors in speed and lift area, perhaps?

Last edited by Rivenshield; 01-10-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Rivenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
2) One of the most important features of any period-correct combat aircraft is its service ceiling. Both GURPS Vehicles and the WW2 book appear to gloss this over. Are there rules for establishing a service ceiling for prop aircraft in some other supplement? something that factors in speed and lift area, perhaps?
Real engine performance was strongly dependent on altitude, so you're not going to be able to get sensible values for service ceilings unless your model incorporates that...
Old 01-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #20
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
/raises hand

Just delving into the WW2 book and I am having oodles of fun with it. Two questions:

1) Re: aerial engines. Do I multiply a turbocharged gas engine by x5 *instead* of x2?
_Final stats_ of the engine is: Multiply weight by 0.4 and cost by 5.

Quote:
2) Are there rules for establishing a service ceiling for prop aircraft in some other supplement? something that factors in speed and lift area, perhaps?
Vehicles Expansion 2 has some more detailed rules.

Tags
aerial combat, dogfight, gurps wwii