Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
Jesster

Default GCA is Racist! ;)

The title is just a joke of course... The reality is that I have made a couple dozen modified racial templates in GCA for the campaign that I'm running and for some reason two of them aren't showing up.

Many of the templates I'm using are kluged together from various user made GDFs then modified further. Most work fine, or I can figure out where I'm missing. But I'm running into a few problems.

1) Elven race - everything seems to fill out right when I load it into GCA, but for some reason there's a red 'P' next to the template. Seeming to indicate that I'm missing a prerequisite somewhere. And yes, I already created the disadvantage Social Stigma (Nonhuman) in the Basic GDF, so that isn't the problem.

2) Faeries - Doesn't even show up in GCA at all. I'm guessing I messed up the code severely. Ah, as an explanation, all magic in this campaign is threshold magic so the advantages are for that. Also, I stole much of the template from a player made version of the old GURPS Fantasy Folk Ellylon template which included the coding for the ST:ST mods. I thought that might be what was messing it up but Kobolds don't show up either.

3) Kobolds - As mentioned earlier, these also don't show up in GCA when I load the GDF.

Could you lovely folks please take a look at this and see what I messed up? I wish I still had Marzo's old data file editor. I'm using Notepad++ to check things but it isn't the same.

Cheers,

Jesse

I'll put the code in down here
__________________________________________________ _
Faeries (Bel NPCs), displaycost(118), cost(-20),
cat(Racial Templates),
replacetags(in "ST:ST" with "up(1), down(-1), step(0.1)", in "ST:Hit Points" with "round(-1)"),
description(6''-8'' tall, 2-3 ounces NPC's ONLY),
page(None),
race(Faery),
locks(yes),
noresync(yes),
owns(yes),
hides(yes),
gives( _
-8 to ST:ST,
+3 to ST:DX,
-6 to ST:Size Modifier _
),
adds( _
AD:Acute Hearing=2,
AD:Acute Vision=3,
AD:Appearance=2,
AD:Flight with "Winged, -25%, group(Flight)",
AD:Night Vision=9,
AD:Unaging,
AD:Magery 0,
AD:Magery=3,
AD:Increased Threshold=10,
AD:Rapid Magical Recovery=5
AD:Ultrahearing,
"DI:Code of Honor (Courtliness)",
DI:Social Stigma (Fae),
DI:Impulsiveness,
DI:Vulnerability (Crushing)=3 with "Wounding Multiplier ×2, *1, group(Vulnerability)",
SK:Aerobatics=1pts,
SK:Flight=2pts,
SK:Savoir-Faire (Fae Society)=1pts,
SK:Stealth=2pts _
),
creates("DI:Primitive (TL1 ML5), -10, cat(Mental), noresync(yes)")

Elf (Bel), displaycost(80), cost(50),
cat(Racial Templates),
description(Elves are more feline and nocturnal. Lightly furred bodies and feline eyes and ears),
page(None),
race(Elf),
locks(yes),
noresync(yes),
owns(yes),
hides(yes),
gives( _
-1 to ST:ST,
+2 to ST:DX,
+1 to ST:IQ _
),
adds( _
AD:Appearance=1,
AD:Magery 0,
AD:Combat Reflexes,
AD:Perfect Balance,
AD:Unaging,
AD:Night Vision=5,
AD:Claws (Sharp Claws),
DI:Sense of Duty (Nature)=3,
DI:Social Stigma (Nonhuman), _
),
creates( _
"DI:Primitive (TL1 ML5), -10, cat(Mental), noresync(yes)" _
)

Kobold (Bel), displaycost(-52), cost(-65),
cat(Racial Templates),
description(4'-4.5' tall, 50-75lbs small canine like creatures. Most Kobolds are slaves, they can take Status -4 Slave without it counting against the limit on disadvantages),
page(FF103),
race(Kobold),
locks(yes),
noresync(yes),
owns(yes),
hides(yes),
gives( _
-2 to ST:ST,
+1 to ST:DX,
-3 to ST:IQ,
-1 to ST:Will,
-1 to ST:Size Modifier _
),
adds( _
AD:Reduced Consumption=2 _
with "Cast-Iron Stomach, -50%, group(Reduced Consumption)",
AD:Resistant (Food borne Poison and Disease)=3 _
with "Degree: +8 to HT rolls to resist, *1/2, group(Resistant)",
DI:Short Attention Span,
DI:Social Stigma (Nonhuman) _
),
creates( _
"QU:Easily Offended, -1, cat(Mental), noresync(yes)",
"QU:Loves Practical Jokes, -1, cat(Mental), noresync(yes)" _
select1( _
text("Optionally, a Kobold may take the Slave disadvantage and not count it against the Disadvantage limit."),
pointswanted(atleast -20),
itemswanted(upto 1),
list( _
DI:Status #codes(UPTO 4) _
) _
)
Jesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA is Racist! ;)

Things I noticed on a quick read through:

Faeries is missing a comma after AD:Rapid Magical Recovery=5 in adds(), which would cause unbalanced parens and a failure to load.

In Kobold, you have your select1() appearing inside your creates(), which it should not. I'm not sure if that's preventing the loading or not, but it won't work correctly. Just move that block outside of the creates() block, and see if it works then.

For the Elf, do a needs check to see what GCA thinks the missing prereq is, and that should give some guidance on what's going on there.

Also, it's helpful if you post such things inside a [CODE] block on the forums, as it helps preserve formatting here. It's the # button on the editor toolbar.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Jesster

You rock man... thanks!

And hey, it's always amazing to me how quickly you reply to anything. You were doing it back in the day and still working on it. Thanks again!

-Jesse
Old 03-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

You're welcome. I hope your templates now work.

(I don't always manage to reply so quickly, but I try.)
Old 03-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Jesster

Haven't tried out the templates yet. Too much PUBG with friends this morning. I'll make those changes in just a few. Also, just dropped you an email to a decade old address. Though, feel free to ignore it. :)
Old 03-31-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Jesster

So Kobold and Faerie both work... and the needs check gives this as an answer

TE:Elf (Bel) still needs:

:>=1pts
Old 03-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Angel Darkover

Just a thought, and I could be wrong, but try removing the comma after the DI:Social Stigma (Nonhuman) in the Elf template. Given that there is no further trait being called, the extra comma could be indicating a non-existent trait to be added (and therefore required), which of course will never be added or met.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Darkover View Post
Just a thought, and I could be wrong, but try removing the comma after the DI:Social Stigma (Nonhuman) in the Elf template. Given that there is no further trait being called, the extra comma could be indicating a non-existent trait to be added (and therefore required), which of course will never be added or met.
This is exactly right. I missed the extra comma on my read, but this is exactly what's happening. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Jesster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Darkover View Post
Yep that got it... thanks!!!

-Jesse