Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #31
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Kicking a grenade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Which means you're ignoring B19, where SM is actually described. (And also an addendum in the FAQ, http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.4.2.23)
Until this afternoon, that's how I assumed it was supposed to work, but B19 only says "It is a modifier to rolls to hit you in combat and to Vision rolls made to spot you."

Given that the actual combat chapters go on to deal with the matter very specifically in the 'Ranged' section but not in the Melee section, one might think that is what B19 means by modifiers in 'combat'.

As for the FAQ, it's useful sometimes, but I'm not sure you can rely on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Here's a past Krommpost which also references B19.
Jeez, they really had some trouble it with that, didn't they!

Anyway, that does seem to settle the matter -- it's absense from p.547 is a simple mistake.

I wonder if it has been noted in the errata.

Last edited by Figleaf23; 10-13-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #32
Figleaf23
Banned

Y'know, though, SM -5 being equal to 10" makes the Striking at a Weapon rule's -5 mod for pistols and knives EXTREMELY generous.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #33
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Y'know, though, SM -5 being equal to 10" makes the Striking at a Weapon rule's -5 mod for pistols and knives EXTREMELY generous.
Meh. It's a little more difficult than hitting the hand. Seems about right. A knife used as a weapon is certainly close to 10", including the hilt. Pistol might be generous, though -- I can see a case for -6 or so there.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #34
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
Well, the edge of the blade is counted in millimeters. I'm pretty sure the effective SM of a sword is ridiculously low.
Now try a hammer, or perhaps a over-sized Fantasy Hammer, or perhaps just a flyswatter.

There is a reason Giants tend to prefer pounding people with appropriately sized clubs and hammers rather than picking up a bladed weapon when available.
Imagine trying to fight of four dozen surprisingly deadly Lilliputians. Trying to chop them with a sword seems like a bit of a pain compared to sweeping around a big club, doesn't it?
For an even more extreme example, killing Lilliputians by stabbing with the point of your sword is like trying to fit a thread though a needle, whereas whacking them with a club/hammer is like swatting a fly with a flyswatter.

Edit:
That said, I agree with Kromm on -4 being a good max penalty if you want to keep things simple.
Check the GURPS FAQ

difference in size modifiers in melee combat gives both positive and negative modifiers to the smaller and bigger target respectively.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #35
Erik_Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Gun_Sam View Post
At least he didn't try to save himself by putting his buddy on top of the grenade to smother the blast.

That would of been rude. Funny, but rude.
And that, sir, was damn near water all over my screen. Well played, you Callous [-5] gentleman.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #36
copeab

Personally, I'd just have the character roll versus whatever their kicking skill is. Looking up all sorts of modifiers just slows down play and (in this case where they are likely to be negative) makes it more likely the PC dies.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:58 AM   #37
Lord Herman

I think I'll go with the Throwing-2 roll. Hitting the grenade is pretty much automatic (although a critical failure on the roll might mean you missed it), so it's only a matter of kicking it in the right direction, so it won't just come bouncing back, and kicking it far enough away, both of which can be handled by Throwing.

I'm just not sure on the penalty for kicking instead of throwing. Is -2 enough? It's harder to kick a ball accurately than it is to throw it, and most balls are designed to be kicked, unlike grenades. Also, there should probably be some sort of penalty for kicking something in a high trajectory (e.g. through a window).

They're in a flat, open area right now, so it shouldn't be too difficult to kick a grenade away; kicking a grenade out of a muddly trench should be a lot harder, so in that case they'd probably want to pick it up and throw it instead. And kicking a grenade out of a window should be pretty difficult as well.
Lord Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #38
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
I wonder if it has been noted in the errata.
Don't think so, though the Lite used in the Vorkosigan Saga list General, Melee and Ranged modifiers, of which SM is General.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grenade, kick, skill