Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #61
demonsbane

Default Re: [DF] Basic Set, Low Tech or Bruno's Armor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
It is rare that I would ever say something like this, but perhaps gaming does not need quite the level of completeness and informational rigor you standards would typically uphold. Not that the information shouldn't be accurate, but perhaps gamers could do with the archetypal warriors of history rather than full cultural sets.
Not sure if that advice is true, and not sure either if it's indeed suitable or practical for gamers and authors that do their best for writing about what they love: if someone values something, he is going to treat it in the degree of accuracy and attention he feels it deserves.

Put in other words: a suggestion for lowing the standards could work with other game companies, rpgs and authors, but maybe not here.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 07-20-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: grammar
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #62
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Not sure if that advice is true, and not sure either if it's indeed suitable or practical for gamers and authors that do their best for writing about what they love: if someone values something, he is going to treat it in the degree of accuracy and attention he feels it deserves.

Put in other words: a suggestion for lowing the standards could work with other game companies, rpgs and authors, but maybe not here.
Indeed -- I tried to put at least some cautionariness in my comment to reflect that balance, perhaps not adequately.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #63
philreed
I do stuff and things.

All, sorry I am late to the party but I was directed at this thread while I was at San Diego Comic Con. Conventions do not leave much time for reading forums.

When it comes to GURPS I do not often get directly involved. Sean has a firm grasp on the line and I trust his judgment on what is workable in the line. I appreciate that you guys thought I should read this, but I have nothing to add beyond:

Sean knows what he is doing and will come to me if he has questions or needs my opinion.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #64
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
Low Tech it's also a pain to use.
"officially" DF uses armor in Basic Set (as DF13 Loadout shows)
So what works best?
Basic Set armor seems to fit genre tropes better
IMHO you answer your own question.
Take the easy option.
If ever your group decides to do gritty realistic low-tech, show them the new books.

As for the two Armor books in progress, Yay!

As for the concept of a low-tech loadout: that would be nice but, ouch, aren't there too many possibilities? (one loadout book per Osprey book, kinda thing)
Or could it be more generic? But all that should really be another thread.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, loadouts