Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Mgellis

Default Character Development--New Approach

I've been trying something new with my current GURPS Victorian Fantasy game...

Instead of giving out experience points at the end of every session (with a few exceptions for things earned through role-playing, etc.), I'm waiting until each medium or large adventure arc is over and then giving out a bulk of points, something like 10 or 15 at a time.

Then, between major story arcs, we figure out what the characters want to do with those points. (They had a "cosmic" experience, a little visit through a shiftrealm to Gotha-10, so they've even got an excuse to add exotic new abilities, etc.) While I didn't plan it this way, the characters effectively get to "level up" between major story arcs.

It seems to be working pretty well.

I'm not worried about "point inflation"--the characters started at 200 points, ended the first campaign (which included a battle against a Celtic death god) at 225. We're now in our second campaign, which will still take months to complete, and I might give them another 25 points overall for that one.

(You can do some impressive things with 225 points...a ritual mage whose staff grants him extra levels of Ritual Magery and a large powerstone bought with points as Signature Gear...oh yes, quite a heartbreaker for the bad guys...)

I don't mind if they get to 300 points someday. I'm the GM. I built the campaign world. I can always make more powerful villains (as always, the real challenge is making sure the villains fit the heroes, not just mooks who can be slapped out of the way without effort and not so powerful that the heroes haven't got a chance).

Thoughts? Comments?

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote