Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #21
nanoboy

Default Re: Why Take Snatcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
You're right. But I still wouldn't let someone use Modular Abilities for Quirks. What I would suggest for your system is to use multiplicative modifiers so there would be no limit to how low you can take their point total. Alternately you could simply just get the base spell unmodified and then need to roll at a penalty for increases in functionality.
You mean Perks, right?

After all, Perks are Advantages that happen to cost 1 point, and Advantages are appropriate for Modular Abilities.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #22
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis
a -20% limitation at most. Accessory perks are probably among the most numerous, and can replace most other perks.
Only being able to buy perks with a 1-point Modular Pool is NOT a limitation. This is so for the same reasons that you can't buy "Energy Reserves: Only for one Power" if you only have one power.
I certainly see the argument here, but I wouldn't price it more than 10 points or so. Then again, maybe we should be using Gizmos instead to replicate this kind of ability? (edit: as Figleaf said)
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy
You mean Perks, right?

After all, Perks are Advantages that happen to cost 1 point, .
Yes I mean Perks and no they aren't. It's possible to modify a cheap Advantage down to 1 point or to get a single level of an Advantage that costs 1 per, but Perks are not Advantages, and Quirks are not Disadvantages. The game mechanics are different. That is why there are no multi-leveled Perks and Perks can never take enhancements and limitations and why Quirks are not limited by the Disad limit.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #24
nanoboy

Quote:
Yes I mean Perks and no they aren't. It's possible to modify a cheap Advantage down to 1 point or to get a single level of an Advantage that costs 1 per, but Perks are not Advantages, and Quirks are not Disadvantages. The game mechanics are different. That is why there are no multi-leveled Perks and Perks can never take enhancements and limitations and why Quirks are not limited by the Disad limit.
See page 101 of Characters: "A 'perk' is a very minor advantage worth only 1 point. Perks cannot be modified with enhancements of limitations, and they can be added in play without upsetting game balance. Otherwise, perks use the same rules as other advantages." Notice that I'm not suggesting adding enhancements or limitations to perks, but treating them as advantages for the purpose of acquiring them via Modular Abilities.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #25
WingedKagouti

Quote:
That is why there are no multi-leveled Perks and Perks can never take enhancements and limitations and why Quirks are not limited by the Disad limit.
PU2: Perks has a couple of leveled Perks, mostly downgraded versions of social advantages. As for Quirks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B120
This limit applies to the total points you can get from all traits with negative point costs,
The seperate pool was 3E, some people houserule it for 4E. The point about limitations and enhancements is correct.

As far as Gizmos go:
1. An item you own but did not specifically state you were carrying.
2. An item that you probably own,
3. An inexpensive device widely available at your tech level.

For anything better you need Gadgeteer (or a variant of it). Of course, Gizmos could easily be used for a low power version. Snatcher can grab a large diamond you don't own, Gizmo is completely incapable of that.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
younglorax

Quote:
Power-Ups 2 has 9 leveled perks.

(To wit: Armor Familiarity, Huge Weapons, Iron Hands, Secret Styles, Doodad, Cutting Edge Training, Courtesy Title, Rule of 17 (Skill), and Special Exercises.)
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #27
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanniynim
I certainly see the argument here, but I wouldn't price it more than 10 points or so. Then again, maybe we should be using Gizmos instead to replicate this kind of ability? (edit: as Figleaf said)
I agree that Snatcher looks like a very bad deal. Especially when you consider that snatched items being obvious force constructs made up by your imagination is just a -5% limitations... (GURPS Powers, p. 76-77)
Good luck imagining the code of the Quartermasters Office when not even your subconscious knows it. Not to mention 'reading' a force construct; Green Lantern style.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #28
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy
I've been working on advantage-based magical spells for a setting, and I was trying to get initial costs for the introductory version of the spells down. For some, this is easy, but for my conjurers, it seemed hard. I mean, a conjurer's core spell would be based on Snather, right? And Snatcher costs 80 points, so when you manage to tack on -80% in limitations, you get a 16-point advantage. I think that's a little steep for a spell that's supposed to be part of a repertoire.

Then, I realized, why not take Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power; Physical Only, +50%; Accessories Only, -50%.)? That's a 10-point base that can easily be limited down to 2 points for a starting ability. Yes, you're limited to no weapons, but there are other spells based on Innate Attack that would be more interesting anyway. (I've made a couple for the conjurers-- Summon Shortsword and Shoot Arrow.)
No weapons, and you can only use a few at a time. As a GM, I would want to know why it can't be used to get weapons, and if there is not a good reason, then you should take some kind of ability that can also get weapons.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #29
nanoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay
No weapons, and you can only use a few at a time. As a GM, I would want to know why it can't be used to get weapons, and if there is not a good reason, then you should take some kind of ability that can also get weapons.
Oh, I've got Innate Attacks for the conjurers to represent the weapons they can summon.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #30
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis
I agree that Snatcher looks like a very bad deal. Especially when you consider that snatched items being obvious force constructs made up by your imagination is just a -5% limitations... (GURPS Powers, p. 76-77)
Good luck imagining the code of the Quartermasters Office when not even your subconscious knows it. Not to mention 'reading' a force construct; Green Lantern style.
Neither thing is an issue. It would just be a glowing green document with black lettering or something or possibly just green letters floating in the air and it being limited to things you know would be a separate limitation
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote