Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2022, 03:49 PM   #21
mburr0003

Default Re: Very High Mana, Critical Successes, Maintenance, and Missile Enlargement

Word of Kromm:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
The intent behind very high mana is that any personal FP spent on magic regenerates one second after being spent. Whether "spent on magic" means "cast," "maintain," "contribute," or some other thing is merely arguing over semantics, being a rules lawyer.

The intent behind critical success is completely different. It's a link between the roll to cast and the results of casting, so it's quite clearly applicable only to the energy you had riding on the dice roll to cast, and thus to casting. On the other hand, it's all energy and not just personal FP . . . and it's a case of "never spent in the first place," not regeneration.

The two cases aren't meant to be symmetric or related in any way. About all they have in common is that a caster ends up with more FP kicking around.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #22
Plane

Default Re: Very High Mana, Critical Successes, Maintenance, and Missile Enlargement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Wouldn't the -Enormous casting penalty for burning millions of HP to torch a continent guarantee a critical failure? Or is "you're at -1 per HP spent" only a DFRPG rule?
The problem being that one doesn't actually spend the energy until the roll is made to figure out how much you spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
were I the GM I'd ignore the rule that critical failures shouldn't kill the caster outright and rule that in the event of a critical failure you take the hit point damage you chose, regardless of death checks, etc.
Yeah it seems like a strange rule put in place to prevent mages offing themselves doing a spell, even though the idea of them doing that sounds pretty cool to me.

If we want to make it hard to off oneself I'd just require a will roll for burning HP subject to the shock penalty you would incur - that way only a mage with High Pain Threshold could casually do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Simpler than that...you can't spend HP THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE!
You don't actually spend the energy if it's a critical success so that's not a problem.

I think the fix would be to remove Burning HP as a direct distinct rule and just have Energy Reserve with Costs Hit Points to access.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:31 AM   #23
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
Word of Kromm:
Do you have the original posting for that? It's worth adding to the uFAQ, I think.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:59 PM   #24
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Do you have the original posting for that? It's worth adding to the uFAQ, I think.
Private message response to my direct inquiry.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:06 PM   #25
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
The problem being that one doesn't actually spend the energy until the roll is made to figure out how much you spend.
If you announce you are spending hit points then the pain modifies your roll even if you crit and come out the other end uninjured.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:25 AM   #26
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
If you announce you are spending hit points then the pain modifies your roll even if you crit and come out the other end uninjured.
That would be an ideal approach to avoid the recursion problem I guess, though we'd need to wiggle with the other like:

1) a mage can optionally take as high a penalty to skill roll as he likes

2) roll against modified skill to see how much energy you need to spend

3) if the lesser of your skill penalty or energy cost would reduce you to -1xHP roll HT

4) if roll fails - spell fails / if success - dock your skill penalty from HP, pay any remaining energy
Old 09-30-2022, 01:38 PM   #27
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
That would be an ideal approach to avoid the recursion problem I guess, though we'd need to wiggle with the other like:

1) a mage can optionally take as high a penalty to skill roll as he likes

2) roll against modified skill to see how much energy you need to spend

3) if the lesser of your skill penalty or energy cost would reduce you to -1xHP roll HT

4) if roll fails - spell fails / if success - dock your skill penalty from HP, pay any remaining energy
Why on Yrth would you do that? It's important to remember that things don't actually happen in the order you resolve them in game mechanically. Rather they all happen all at the same time. The decision tree you describe doesn't exist.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:24 PM   #28
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The decision tree you describe doesn't exist.
it's an OOG process tree for the player not an in-game decision tree for a char

Tags
critical success, missile spells, very high mana