Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
Mark Caliber

Default Optional Rule Idea: Reloading Missiles (Or making the trucks useful)

My son and I were working with this rule for reloading missiles, specifically for Ogres & Cruise Missile carriers.

Quite simply, any Command Post has an unlimited stock of missiles. These missiles can be transported 1 missile per truck from a CP to an Ogre. If a truck and Ogre spend a turn in the same hex and neither moves, the Ogre reloads a missile, usable next turn.

Cruise missiles are similar but the Cruise Missiles are carried as two components and must be carried in two trucks.

So far the results are predictable.
- TRUCKS become very important targets.
- Destroying an empty Cruise Missile Carrier becomes more vital.
- Destroying Command Posts is more urgent.
- Launching Cruise missiles is no less terror inducing, but it becomes a more common event.

The only problem that I've seen with this rule is that we keep running out of damaged terrain counters for the cruise missiles. ;p
Old 09-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Zorgophlats

Default Re: Optional Rule Idea: Reloading Missiles (Or making the trucks useful)

My main problem with this is, cruise missiles have AP/VPs. Sounds fun, but I'd rather those missiles not be unlimited, but bought. Defend the warehouse becomes more important. I like the idea of a continuous supply run happening in game.

As for running out of counters, buy some colored construction paper. Cut some haphazard hexagons (destruction doesn't need perfection.) Use grey for destroyed terrain, red for craters, green for burning forests, and yellow for burning cities. Or choose your own colors.

I over-analyze things. Don't take it too seriously.
Zorgophlats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: Optional Rule Idea: Reloading Missiles (Or making the trucks useful)

Cool idea. :)

I think maybe some sort of cost should be paid though for the Ogre Missiles and Cruise Missiles instead of having an unlimited supply.

Also, you would need a loader vehicle to actually manipulate those Missiles into the OGRE.
I wonder if a truck would be too small for the job...and too unarmored to protect those valuable Missiles.
Also, what's to prevent players having a bunch of preloaded trucks carrying missiles follow the OGRE around in a congo line or swarming it?
This would be a viable thing to do depending on the battlefield situation, however I wonder that trucks just may not have enough to do the job in the most practical way.

I'm thinking a VULCAN (or Paneuropean equivalent) may be a more viable vehicle. It would certainly be big enough for the job, especially for the Cruise Missile reloads.
It would be able to manipulate the Missiles into the OGRE being reloaded.
It would have to be in the same hex as the OGRE being reloaded when the reload happens.
It would be armored (and armed) to protect the Missiles in it's cargo storage.
It could follow an OGRE in battlefield situations much better than a normal cargo truck. (Terrain...Terrain).

Now we have a further use for a VULCAN than just maintenance. In fact, a VULCAN could actually carry more than a single truck. Even Cruise Missiles.
A mobile Ammo Depot if you will. :)

I have another unexpected unit to work on now...haha. Thank You for this idea.
I have some ideas for Scenarios, and your idea just kicked opened many new possibilities.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Presumably, when there are rules for Engineers and Vulcans, reloading Ogre missiles is a thing they can do.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Presumably, when there are rules for Engineers and Vulcans, reloading Ogre missiles is a thing they can do.
Yep. Page 95 GURPS OGRE:
"It can also field-repair other Ogres, reload missile racks or missile tubes, and recover smaller units, carrying them on it's rear chassis if necessary."

I didn't mean to imply I was designing this ability to reload missiles in a new VULCAN unit. That is already established officially.
Only that I will be doing a redesign of how it looks as a VULCAN that has been modified to be an exclusive mobile ammo depot that can reload Missiles on an OGRE.
This VULCAN version actually carries the Missiles it will reload.

If it were a stock VULCAN, it could of course reload Missiles, however, it has no place to carry the missiles properly. Which assumes they are stored elsewhere.
That required space is being used by the VULCAN Drones and if the rear is to be used as a transport platform for recovered vehicles that will fit on it,
that leaves even less space for any munitions.

Which raises an interesting question...how and where are OGRE Missiles generally stored? This gets into some serious logistical stuff, but why not? :D
Aside from an secure storage bunker I see the need for a VULCAN Ammo and Reloader Transport version.
The advantage of this over a static ammo depot would be it can take the ammo to the OGRE.

That's what I'm off to work on. Sorry, should have been clearer before.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 09-11-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
hcobb

An Ogre missile is something that takes a crane to reload, but how about a heavy weapons squad missile load? You could no doubt carry several of those in a hovertruck.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
An Ogre missile is something that takes a crane to reload
Maybe declare one color of the trucks are cranes, the other is missile haulers. That'd give you two flavors of ducks to hunt.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
hcobb

Rattler has twice the mass of the Tomahawk, which the USN returns to port to reload, despite being able to deliver jet engines to carriers at sea.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Rattler has twice the mass of the Tomahawk, which the USN returns to port to reload, despite being able to deliver jet engines to carriers at sea.
Don't let GURPS Ogre limit what happens in Ogre if it makes for a good game. The book has great background material, but doesn't do that well representing what happens in the board game. (How's the Rattler's 5-hex range stack up vs a Tomahawk?)

Or just think about the crane you can build with atomic power and BPC.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote