Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Hobnails and footing

Sweet. I love his channel, and he seems to know his stuff as well as using that professional scientist's tendency of carefully partitioning the spectrum of solid evidence to reasonable conjecture to complete guesswork.
But nice to know that I'm not barking up the wrong tree of knowledge.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:17 AM   #12
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
I realize that this question was meant for Dan.

However, Matt Easton who has the channel Scholagladiatora trained as an archaeologist and generally sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
Lindybeige has done a few joint videos with Scholagladiatora, so he at least hasn't made enough big errors for Easton not to want to be seen with him. In addition, all the facts that he's given that I've been able to check have been correct, so that works pretty well.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:15 AM   #13
Rasna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Lindybeige has done a few joint videos with Scholagladiatora, so he at least hasn't made enough big errors for Easton not to want to be seen with him. In addition, all the facts that he's given that I've been able to check have been correct, so that works pretty well.
Lindybeige is not that bad, at least in the majority of his videos, but he has some bad habits: for example, too often he takes as proven facts mere hypothesis, sometimes he uses unreliable sources and, worst of all, he doesn't accept not even constructive critics. Personally I prefer to follow Matt Easton, Skallagrim and Metatron because they're by far more competent and open to debate, and if they make a mistake and someone reports it to them, they apologize and correct the wrong parts.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
Lindybeige is not that bad, at least in the majority of his videos, but he has some bad habits: for example, too often he takes as proven facts mere hypothesis, sometimes he uses unreliable sources and, worst of all, he doesn't accept not even constructive critics. Personally I prefer to follow Matt Easton, Skallagrim and Metatron because they're by far more competent and open to debate, and if they make a mistake and someone reports it to them, they apologize and correct the wrong parts.
I vaguely feel like I've replied to this already, but as it isn't here, either I haven't, or I tried and my computer ate the reply without me noticing (in which case I was probably tired enough that we're better off without that reply). So, I apologise for the late response:

When Lindybeige catches himself in an error, he puts it in white text in the video itself, so he's at least willing to admit himself capable of screwing up. Also, as already noted, he has done videos with Matt Easton, and Skallagrim, and even has one on The Tank Museum's channel. So again, his flaws are not big enough for them to not be willing to do videos with him, so in my opinion, are unlikely to be too bad... though to be fair, I do tend to take internet videos with a grain of salt anyway. I tend to watch him for entertainment as much as information, and if I intend to use the information in a game, would be likely to try to look it up (something I recommend for all GMs when you can, even if the video is by a respected expert - unless you're doing a cinematic game, and your players are unlikely to be pedantic about it, in which case you may not need to bother).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
footwear, low-tech