Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #11
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: GEV and other Pocket editions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Phil, can you share how big the print run was?
We don't usually share specifics of our business. Steve often puts details in his annual report, and we sometimes disclose other info throughout the year, but our usual policy is to decline to answer questions like this.

That's a very long way of saying: No. The Pocket Ogre print run is less than 1/6 our Zombie Dice print run last year.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
ColBosch

Oh, dammit. I just placed an order with W23 and forgot to grab some copies of OPE. Next week!
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
Zorgophlats

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochmoigh View Post
Weigh one munchkin game, calculate what a ton is, you are almost home.
No help. A ton is a ton, just different quantities to make up the total weight. 2000 pounds (for those who need help keeping track). Anyway, could somebody please weigh one or ten copies and let me know so I can figure out a top end for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
This picture looks to be about 7000 copies. There could have been more pallets, though.
Gah! I can't make out how many units per case. Nor can I make out how many cases per layer. I work in a warehouse, and judging by the case size, my best guess is 8 boxes per layer. Soo… 56 cases on that pallet, maybe. Just need to know how many in a case. And whether or not one pallet is all that was printed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I can put it this way.
Oh Phil. That NDA (or whatever rule you need to follow) is just eating away at you right now. ;) Keep dropping hints and I just might figure this out.

Last edited by Zorgophlats; 06-20-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Zorgophlats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
jfleisher

I saw something on here earlier about a case being 200 copies of OPE.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #15
Zorgophlats

Ok. I stared at the pic for a while. This is what I've got. Sorry for the long post here. I'm not good at quoting after I've started writing, so "other persons words here".

If the cases are just as wide as they are long, then the dividing line for each layer would be halfway across. They are not. It cuts at the G and R in OGRE every other layer, making them 'slightly' wider than half as long. Two rows of three, and one row of two sideways at the end. There would be extra space between the two at the end. Pushing them to the corners helps for shipping, but shrink wrap pulls them slighty together, I can see that in the pic. So… 8 cases, as far as I can tell. 7 layers. 56 cases.

The sideways case, on the left middle layer, I can just make out the top line reading "100 sets" (good eye there KevenR). I'll take that to mean 1 set = 1 unit. But it is more likely they could be boxed again inside. So… one set could be anywhere between 2 and 10 units. But I'll go with 1 unit for now.

Far right bottom, I can see:

GW (Gross Weight. Total weight of the product and packaging materials)
NW (Net Weight. Weight of the sellable product inside)
MEAS (MEASURE. Size dimensions of the case. Irrelevant)
C/N (Case Number. The shipping dept. numbers the cases for purchase order accuracy)

Left side, middle and bottom cases, the weights and case numbers are hand written. I'm doing my best to read them, I could be very wrong.

Gross weight is 9.6 KGS. Compare against NW and 1kg packaging sounds about right.
Net weight is 8.6 KGS. Stare at it long enough and you can read 2.4. Trust me. 8.6 is most likely, and the weight we need here.
Case numbers. 187 and 164. I'm comparing the handwriting and I'm quite sure those are the numbers. Also, when building a pallet, the numbers can get mixed up a bit.

So, what does all this tell me? A lot, after some math. First, the pallet. 56 cases to a pallet and you can start counting… 56, 112, 168, and 224. Case 187 means, at minimum, there were 3 pallets, and a partial pallet. I'll go with 200 cases for simplicity. 200 cases x 100 sets = 20,000. A small print run. I think 50,000 is a minimum when ordering, but I'll go with what I know so far. Phil said 1% (200) sold online in one day, and that was on the right track. Later, 2% (400) had been sold online this week. He also said 50% (10,000) should be shipped out to distributers by July. So, 10,400 accounted for. We've got maybe 9,600 left to buy. "Less than 1/6th the print run of Zombie Dice last year" 20k x 6 = 120,000+ ZD printed last year. Sounds good to me, but I don't know the actual numbers. Anybody got a copy of the annual report handy?

Weight.
1 Ton (US) = 2000lbs = ~907kgs.
1 Ton (metric) = 1000kgs
Not sure what to go with here. "Buy a ton of a $3 ogre game by the deadline…" I'll believe Phil was referring to a US Ton. 907kgs/8.6kg=105.47 That's at least 106 cases need to be sold. Um… that's 10,600 sets need to be sold. Something's not right here. Based on my guesses, 400 sets have been sold online. And 10k sent to distributers. If 10,400 is out the door and 10,600 is a ton, then we only need to buy 200 sets more by October, 2 months away. That doesn't sound much like a challenge to me. Metric gives us 116.27 or 117 cases. That's 11,700 sets. Minus what's been sold, gives us 1,300 sets left to buy online. This sounds better. At this point, I'm talking about a little more than half the print run I've estimated. That may be enough to justify, "personally push in the office for Pocket GEV."

Still one problem though. "If you guys buy all the copies we printed by Oct. 1st…" That's 9,600 sets by my reckoning. Extremely difficult, but not impossible. And contradicts the "ton" comment. Maybe "ton" was not literal, but poetic.

tl;dr

We need to buy 1,700 (or 10,000) sets of Pocket OGRE by October 1st to get Pocket GEV at a realistic price.
1,300 (or 9,600) sets to go!
(Unless I'm totally wrong)
((If I'm right, or close enough to it, Phil may stop dropping hints))

Last edited by Zorgophlats; 06-21-2014 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Clarity & typos.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:53 AM   #16
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorgophlats View Post
(Unless I'm totally wrong)
Not totally, but you're low . . .
Old 06-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #17
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Oh Phil. That NDA (or whatever rule you need to follow) is just eating away at you right now. ;) Keep dropping hints and I just might figure this out.
Hey, we all take our fun where we can find it. It's like the time someone asked me if I found a cool game at a con. Sure, but why buy a single copy of a game when you can buy the entire game rights? Now that's fun!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
wolf90

Quote:
Hey, we all take our fun where we can find it. It's like the time someone asked me if I found a cool game at a con. Sure, but why buy a single copy of a game when you can buy the entire game rights? Now that's fun!
Wow….

I absolutely LOVE the way you think!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
Zorgophlats

Quote:
Not totally, but you're low . . .
Biased on what I know, I had to lowball it. If I knew the print run of Zombie Dice, I'd have a top end I can work with. Let's consider this bottom end.

Right now I can't reconcile the "buy the whole print run" vs "if you guys buy a ton" comments. My weight gives me a ton that is slightly more than half of what I know is the bottom end. Doesn't work, even when the run it higher.

Anyway, this has been fun for me. Got my gears working again. :)

I over-analyze things. Don't take it too seriously.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #20
wolf90

Quote:
And contradicts the "ton" comment. Maybe "ton" was not literal, but poetic.
Quote:
Right now I can't reconcile the "buy the whole print run" vs "if you guys buy a ton" comments. My weight gives me a ton that is slightly more than half of what I know is the bottom end. Doesn't work, even when the run it higher.
I think you probably answered your own question in your earlier post…

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote