Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #1
ChristopherPerrien

Default Content of "Battlefield" and GEV Map

Hi all,

I see much talk of a Battlefield addition to Ogre , and I can find no information as to what this set will contain besides 2 new maps. What other Units? Maps? Overlays? Scenarios?

I am looking and praying that the original GEV map will be sold at some point reasonably. Currently with OG6E + using GEV rules all you can play is Ogre scenarios without the canon G1 map because it has the only the original Ogre map.

The OGDE was/is prohibitively expensive for me and so is the Battlefields map set . I would almost say it is gouging to have the only option to buy the old GEV map (G1 I assume in the Battlefields map set) at a 1.5" hex scale is to buy that 4 map for $60-65, or of course buy OGDE at god knows what price, and shipping for either the map set or OGDE ? , I am no millionaire. Though I bought the new steam version and OG6E and then got Miniature#1 set and Reinforcements as a Chrema present so i'd like to use them for old GEV battles.

Basically I am looking for the G1 map to play canon GEV Ogre scenarios. without paying $60-150 + shipping for it as part of something else. I noticed on the KS page for the Miniatures 2 set , at a $75 donation level a GEV map is included. Is this the G1 map of the old game at 1.5' hex scale or which map is it?

I am about to print up my own GEV G1 map at a 1.5" scale and build it myself . so I can enjoy the game as it was. This intentional limiting of G1 map(GEV) to 2 high priced and extremely heavy sets, seems to go against the spirit of the original idea of Ogre the original pocket game. IMO , It should have been in the OG6E , I was disappointed it was not.

So will G1 ever show like as a folding type(auto) map? Or by itself ? or as part of a "cheap" addition to the game? and what else is in this new Battlefields thing?

Regards, from an OLD Ogre/GEV player

Last edited by ChristopherPerrien; 01-03-2018 at 01:52 PM.
ChristopherPerrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Content of "Battlefield" and GEV Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherPerrien View Post
Hi all,

I see much talk of a Battlefield addition to Ogre , and I can find no information as to what this set will contain. Units? Maps? Overlays? Scenarios? What will be in it? From what I can tell this set is not the big 4-map set already being sold. So what it be?
The only thing I can say for sure is the Maps that are in Battlefields will be the G3 and S3 maps from the original Battlefields expansion (G1,G2,S1 and S2 are what currently exist in ODE). It's meant to be a way for 6th Ed owners to have some kind of GEV map and for ODE owners to get the "rest" of the green maps, but it will not be the original GEV (G1) map.

If we are very lucky, maybe there will be add-on potential to include G1, but I would not count on it.

There will be new units, counter types, etc, but the exact details of what those will be has not been relayed much yet.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
wolf90

Hints as to Battlefields contents have been leaking out. I would suggest you read the Ogre News post from October 2nd, 2017, as well as the "Closing the Gap" article that really helps differentiate the variance, and how to "close the gap", between ODE and Sixth Edition.

The Ogre Miniatures Set 2 "Many Minis" level included a paper (poster) version of the original G1 map. It is likely this set will be available for purchase through W23 when it is released in the same manner as Ogre Miniatures Armory Set 1 has been released, although I am speculating a bit. It is scaled the same as the ODE and Sixth Edition maps.

The Ogre Giant Battlefield Map set is available through W23 for $60, or $15 per map. Plus all orders at $100 ship for free. There are no plans to release the maps individually at this time. 3rd party sellers post the maps individually from time-to-time, and you could always sell the maps you do not wish yourself.

Hopefully this helps. More details should be forthcoming in the near future re: Battlefields. If you haven't already, subscribe to Ogre News; you should be able to stay up-to-date on everything Ogre through that.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
J. Durr

Will the Ogre map ever be available separately?
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
Mack_JB

I get the feeling the OP is not in the USA, so that means the Battlefield map set on W23, if shipped worldwide, would be very expensive since it is heavy and bulky.

Watching eBay is one option, I've managed to pick up spare Ogre maps and G.E.V. maps over the years, but then, shipping overseas is still an issue.

As stated, Minis Set #2 will come with a poster style map, hopefully that will make it into W23 in time as well since having maps readily available over time is essential to being able to play many of the scenarios for anyone new coming into the game.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
jfleisher

What about the paper maps from the Deluxe Ogre/GEV miniatures box sets? Would those work? I have a ton of those in storage somewhere and they’d be cheap to mail...

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
ChristopherPerrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post

The Ogre Miniatures Set 2 "Many Minis" level included a paper (poster) version of the original G1 map. It is likely this set will be available for purchase through W23 when it is released in the same manner as Ogre Miniatures Armory Set 1 has been released, although I am speculating a bit. It is scaled the same as the ODE and Sixth Edition maps.
Thank you Wolf 90 and the others ( Gpenguin, schoon, et.al for the replies. I am focusing on this comment. I was under the impression that the Kicker Starter Drive for the Mini's 2 set , at the "many minis' level was still ongoing. Am I mistaken? your comment seems to be past tense. I see there is a "funding period" noted from Nov13- Nov27. But the kickstarter page also notes certain funding levels were not/have not been reached. Little fuzzy on how the whole kickstarter deal works.

Either way, You note the G1 map was/is a "poster" in that set. Was it at a 1.5" inch hex scale ?

Chris
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
wolf90

Yes, the Kickstarter has ended. You can not currently order the set.

KS has a set period ("campaign") during which backers may pledge for certain levels of support, in return receiving the listed merchandise. Many Kickstarters have stretch goals, where additional material is added to one or more of the pledges as certain accomplishments are met (a specific funding total, "X" number of backers or social media likes, etc.). At the end of the campaign the funding ends and the moneys are charged to the backers, and later sent to the designer. Unmet stretch goals or incomplete limited levels remain unmet/unfilled.

KS allows companies to better judge the support for their product, and produce accordingly. Generally we have had additional sets that are released in one manner or another on W23 so despite missing the KS you should be good to go once they are released.

The poster of map G1 will be identical to the map in both Ogre Designer's Edition and the Giant Battlefield Map Set, only not a hard map board, but rather a paper poster.

I hope this helps clarify things!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
ChristopherPerrien

OK then ,Thank you , Wolf 90, for all the clarifications.

Chris
Old 01-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #10
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Plus all orders at $100 ship for free.

D.
Do you happen to know if that also applies to orders outside the US? I'm in Tokyo, Japan and if free shipping applies that would motivate me to spend more money at W23...
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote