Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
adimar

Default [Traveller] Does Luck have to be PSI?

I'm continuing in fashioning my gurps traveller character, and would like him to have the Extraordinary Lucky advantage.
I also like the idea of explaining it as an unconscious use of a PSI power. (this explanation is purely fluff).

I have two questions:
1) Do I also need to take the unusual background(PSI)?
The same can be asked about a character with Danger Sense (Unconscious use of ESP) etc...
2) Does that character have a Secret? (I mean, he's a psi but he doesn't know it, make active use of it or train it)

Best regards
Adi
adimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [Traveller] Does Luck have to be PSI?

You have to ask your GM these questions, they are more setting specific than rules specific.

1) Probably not, but maybe! If there are pis enhancing drugs that may come into the picture to enhance your ability later, then that's a definite maybe!

2)Maybe! If Psi's are hunted/collected it could certainly be. Secrets are a little tricky, and it helps if you know your own secret! But you can have a "secret" and not the Secret disadvantage.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimar View Post
I'm continuing in fashioning my gurps traveller character, and would like him to have the Extraordinary Lucky advantage.
I also like the idea of explaining it as an unconscious use of a PSI power. (this explanation is purely fluff).

I have two questions:
1) Do I also need to take the unusual background(PSI)?
The same can be asked about a character with Danger Sense (Unconscious use of ESP) etc...
2) Does that character have a Secret? (I mean, he's a psi but he doesn't know it, make active use of it or train it)

Best regards
Adi

Nothing on B.152 about a character needing to know what the secret is. It sure helps you to keep the Secret, though.

If you're planning on using Luck as a Psi power, I'd suggest looking at the Probability Alteration, or Micro-PK, Powers from Psionic Powers, pp. 43-46. I don't know if this would fit into the GURPS Traveller universe's version of Psi, but reading this section might at least spark some campaign ideas for you.

If it is an unconscious Power, would you consider having it be an Unconscious Only [-20%] power?
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
If it is an unconscious Power, would you consider having it be an Unconscious Only [-20%] power?
Unconscious Only is for use in conjunction with Uncontrollable, not on its own.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Note that that also requires Uncontrollable (-10%), which means the power can activate when the player doesn't want it to (not hugely inconveniencing in itself, but it uses up the Luck's "charge"). The combination of Uncontrollable and Unconscious means the player has no control of the power; it triggers entirely at the whim of the GM, hopefully in situations where it actually does some good.

An alternate to consider is Emergencies Only (-30%). This means the player (not necessarily the character) does have control of the power, but can only activate it in moments of extreme stress or danger (again, up to the GM).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Nothing on B.152 about a character needing to know what the secret is. It sure helps you to keep the Secret, though.
That's not right, actually. The point of a Secret is that the character can be compelled to take action by the imminent threat of the Secret being revealed, and more generally that they will lead a life organized to avoid its being revealed. A character who does not know they have some trait can't very well be motivated to keep that trait Secret.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That's not right, actually. The point of a Secret is that the character can be compelled to take action by the imminent threat of the Secret being revealed, and more generally that they will lead a life organized to avoid its being revealed. A character who does not know they have some trait can't very well be motivated to keep that trait Secret.

Bill Stoddard
But one could take an "unknown" Secret, to be revealed later in play, in character generation. That would make the first opportunity of the Secret to come into play in-game a kind of 'origin story' moment. After that moment, of course, it is a 'normal' Secret. Of course, this kind of approach should be player-driven, rather than GM driven, as it is all about character development.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Note that that also requires Uncontrollable (-10%), which means the power can activate when the player doesn't want it to (not hugely inconveniencing in itself, but it uses up the Luck's "charge"). The combination of Uncontrollable and Unconscious means the player has no control of the power; it triggers entirely at the whim of the GM, hopefully in situations where it actually does some good.

An alternate to consider is Emergencies Only (-30%). This means the player (not necessarily the character) does have control of the power, but can only activate it in moments of extreme stress or danger (again, up to the GM).
Again, if I were the Player here and not the GM, I would not be adverse to having the power initially Uncontrollable & Unconscious [-30] at the beginning of play, with the agreement that, once the character understands what's going on, I can switch to Emergencies Only [same point cost] and then slowly, with experience & training, buy it down to varying levels of Unreliable [-25% to -5%] as I gain mastery of my powers.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
vierasmarius

Quote:
Again, if I were the Player here and not the GM, I would not be adverse to having the power initially Uncontrollable & Unconscious [-30] at the beginning of play, with the agreement that, once the character understands what's going on, I can switch to Emergencies Only [same point cost] and then slowly, with experience & training, buy it down to varying levels of Unreliable [-25% to -5%] as I gain mastery of my powers.
That seems fair. Trigger could also be an appropriate "trade", representing the character using drugs to gain a measure of control over it.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
That seems fair. Trigger could also be an appropriate "trade", representing the character using drugs to gain a measure of control over it.
Sure; and you could use the "commonality" scaling to represent needing smaller doses of the drugs as the character builds up a reservoir of the drugs in his system (if you want it scalable).

Tags
psionics, traveller