Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
Arcanestomper

Default Skill in Super ST situations

I've come across a situation where one character with super ST is trying to do a Takedown on another character with super ST.

Since both characters have super ST scores well over 2,000 it follows that the rules for extreme score contests would come into effect. However the first character, while weaker than the second character, is also considerably more skilled.

But as far as I can tell the extreme score modifier is applied to whatever scores are actually used. So that 20 skill is not going to be particularly helpful if used by itself.

Is this correct? Is there some technique that can be used to boost the first character's effective strength using their skill?
Arcanestomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Skill in Super ST situations

What's the skill being used? Judo, Wrestling, Sumo Wrestling, or one of the striking skills with the Clench perk? I'm going to assume it's a grappling skill since it's a takedown. Both Wrestling and Sumo Wrestling give a bonus to ST when making takedowns (+1 if known at DX+1, +2 if at DX+2 or better).

Martial Arts p. 114 also gives an option that may come into play:

Quote:
Strong: You may use this option to get +1 (CA) or +2 (AOA) to a ST-based roll (ST or a ST-based technique) for a takedown or pin, to strangle or otherwise injure a foe, or to break free. For techniques that base injury on thrust or swing damage as opposed to on a margin of victory, apply the bonus directly to damage.
So using Wrestling or Sumo Wrestling in a Committed Attack (Strong) or All-Out Attack (Strong) could get him up to an effective +4 to his ST score; I'd rule that these options would apply to his adjusted ST score after accounting for the extreme ST levels rather than before.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 01-05-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #3
Arcanestomper

It's Judo in this case. Which does not have a strength bonus, but also doesn't involve strength to do its parry throws.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanestomper View Post
Is this correct? Is there some technique that can be used to boost the first character's effective strength using their skill?
Technical Grappling does precisely this, extending the bonus to ST that Wrestling gets as skill gets higher, extending this to other grappling skills, and providing a method to give a percentage, instead of flat, boost to ST for situations (like it seems yours is) that call for it.

The rule in question is on p. 7: "Harsh Realism: Scaling Trained ST" which nonetheless has a cinematic option in it.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #5
Arcanestomper

Thanks that looks like what I need.