Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Default [3e] USS Lexington

USS Lexington (TL5)
Purchased in the Dutch West Indies as the "Wild Duck," the ship was again purchased by the Marine Committee once she reached Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was commissioned as the USS Lexington and fitted for war. In 1776, she captured by sloop Edward and the Lady Susan. She was captured herself by the British frigate Pearl, but her Yankee crew (who was allowed to stay on board with the English prize crew) recaptured her and returned to Baltimore.
In 1777 she captured two more prizes, but her luck ran out in September, when she was captured by the English cutter Alert off the coast of France.

Subassemblies: Body with Mediocre lines +7, one 112' Foremast +3, one 119' Mainmast +3.
Powertrain: 12,006 sf of Brigantine-rigged Cloth Sails.
Occupancy: Up to 12 in cabins, up to 50 in hammocks. Minimum crew is 1 driver + 4 sailors. Assumes 110 crew.
Cargo: 9,000 cf

Armor: 3/6W overall

Weaponry:
14x 4-pounder Cannons [Body:L,R] (100 shots each).
2x 6-pounder Cannons [Body:L,R] (100 shots each).
12x 50mm Swivel guns [Body:F,B] (100 shots each).

Body: Navigation instruments, 1 luxury cabin, 5 cabins, 50 hammocks (assumes hot bunking), galley, complete workshop, 3,300 man-days provisions. On Deck: Capstan (5,280-lb. crane with 12-man muscle engine), Longboat (p. SW114), primitive controls.

Statistics:
Size: 86'x24½'x119' Payload: 127 tons Lwt.: 232 tons
Volume: 22,765 cf. Maint.: 39 hours Price: $258,633

HT: 8. HPs: 7,229 Body, 324 Foremast; 366 Mainmast.

wSpeed: 16 wAccel: 1 wDecel: 1 wMR: 0.05 wSR: 6
Draft: 11'. Flotation Rating: 649 tons.

Design Notes:
Structure is Medium, with Standard materials. Waterproofed. Armor is DR 6 Standard Wood. The volume of the armor is figured into the design, as per the rules on p. VEii5. Body volume was calculated using the Builder's Old Measurement. Mast height were determined from a scale model of the ship.
Accommodations are a guess. Design draft was 5.6'; it was doubled for better realism.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
PPoS

Default Re: [3e] USS Lexington

Aww, I thought it was "Lady Lex". Oh well ;)
Btw, you seem to like building ships, any plans for doing some more WWII-era boats ? I see you've got the Sendai-class already, it would be neat to see some more Japanese ships (Kongo, Fuso, Ise etc.)
Old 05-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPoS View Post
Me too...then I remembered he did the Constitution last...
Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPoS View Post
Guess I forgot that wee bit o' lore. Call her as you will.

Quote:
Btw, you seem to like building ships, any plans for doing some more WWII-era boats ? I see you've got the Sendai-class already, it would be neat to see some more Japanese ships (Kongo, Fuso, Ise etc.)
Heh. The Sendai nearly did me in. I once quipped to Brandon that I will only design boats with no moving parts :) However, as I have already finished my June Biplane for the Month, and have nothing else burning a hole in my design obsession, I'll see what I can do. . .

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, age of sail, ship, usa, vehicle