Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Default [3e] USS Constitution

USS Constitution (TL5)
Launched in 1797, the 44-gun frigate USS Constitution and her five sister ships formed the backbone of the fledgling United States Navy. Because they were the Navy's only capital ships at the time, they are slightly larger and more heavily armed than other frigates of the day. The USS Constitution saw action in the Quasi-War with France, and the First Barbary War. She earned the nickname "Old Ironsides" during the War of 1812, when she defeated five British warships.
Her legendary status saved her from being scrapped numerous times. She circumnavigated the globe in 1840, and served as a training ship during the Civil War. She was retired from active service in 1881, and designated a museum ship in 1907. She remains a fully commissioned naval ship (the world's oldest, in fact), and is crewed by 60 naval officers and sailors for use in ceremonies, educational events, and tourism.

Subassemblies: Body +9 with Mediocre lines, one 198' Foremast +4, one 220' Main Mast +5, one 173' Mizzenmast +4.
Powertrain: 42,710 sf of Cloth Sails in a Full Rig.
Occupancy: 450 crew
Cargo: 1,000 tons.

Armor: 3/20W overall

Weaponry:
32 24-pdr Cannons (100 rounds each).
20 32-pdr Carronades (100 rounds each).

Body: Navigation instruments, 6 bunks, 220 hammocks, 3 cabins, galley, 13,500 man-days provisions, 4,800-lb. capstan, 36' longboat, two 30' cutters, two 28' whaleboats, 28' gig, 22' jolly boat, 14' punt.

Statistics:
Size: 204'x43.5'x220' Payload: 1,229 tons Lwt.: 2,200 tons
Volume: 179,059 cf. Maint.: 21 hours Price: $924,356

HT: 6. HPs: 28592 Body, 1252 Main Mast, 1014 Foremast, 774 Mizzenmast.

wSpeed: 15 wAccel: 0.4 wDecel: 0.4 wMR: 0.02 wSR: 7
Draft: 22'. Flotation Rating: 5,103 tons.

Design Notes:
Structure is Medium, with Standard materials. Waterproofed. Armor is DR 20 Standard Wood. The volume of the armor is figured into the design, as per the rules on p. VEii5. The armor is likely too high for realism, but I wanted the ship to live up to its legendary moniker. Mast heights are also probably excessive, despite being based on real-world figures. Design sail area is 58,213 sf; the historical value (shown above) was used for performance calculations, as was historical loaded weight. Design loaded weight was 1,743 tons. Accommodations are a guess. Volume was calculated using the Builder's Old Method; it was slightly higher than the tonnage volume of 157,600 cf (1,576 tons x 100 cf per ton). Design empty weight is 1,029,536 lbs. Design draft was 12'. The historical value is shown. She cost $302,718 to build in 1797.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
Dewey

Default Re: [3e] USS Constitution

I like the write-up, but you made a small error in the description. The USS Constitution is the second oldest commissioner warship, the HMS Victory is the oldest. However, the Constitution is the oldest ship still seaworthy, whereas the Victory is confined to a dry-dock, so there's that.
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 AM   #3
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
USS Constitution (TL5)
Mast heights are also probably excessive, despite being based on real-world figures.
I do not think those numbers are excessive...I drive over the Tobin Bridge every morning and other than the Bridge itself her masts are one of the tallest structures in that section of Charlestown.

I also saw her under sail in 2006 (?) <tow line still attached>. She was towed up the coast to Salem/Beverly/Marblehead/Essex...a couple of those towns claim to be the home of the US Navy...then she raised sail and was under her own power for a couple of miles.

I was in a smallish 20' 30' single mast sailboat at the time.

She is a BIG ship.

You can see those masts for a long long way.

I will give her your best wishes Monday Morning.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
I like the write-up, but you made a small error in the description. The USS Constitution is the second oldest commissioner warship, the HMS Victory is the oldest. However, the Constitution is the oldest ship still seaworthy, whereas the Victory is confined to a dry-dock, so there's that.
You are correct. Poor wording on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
I do not think those numbers are excessive...I drive over the Tobin Bridge every morning and other than the Bridge itself her masts are one of the tallest structures in that section of Charlestown.

She is a BIG ship.

You can see those masts for a long long way.

I will give her your best wishes Monday Morning.
Very cool. Thanks!

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, age of sail, ship, usa