Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
robertsconley

Default Points of Light

I recently had Points of Light accepted by Goodman Games. It is four lands with numbered hex maps with locales keyed to the hexes. It is a system neutral product. What minimal stats are there are oriented toward the early editions of D&D.

I am posting here because the themes and some of the lands originated from the GURPS Fantasy Campaign that my friends and I ran for nearly 20 years. That campaign started as a first edition AD&D campaign but was switched over to GURPS around 1988.

Hopefully this will be useful to all the Dungeon Fantasy Fans. The lands are separate and are designed to drop into a referee's campaign with minimal work.

http://www.goodman-games.com/4380preview.html

Rob Conley
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
robertsconley

Default Re: Points of Light

A partial preview of a Points of Light Map. Note that a full fledged preview will done closer to the release date.

http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/imag...nd_preview.jpg

A sample entry. While the stats are oriented to more edition neutral D&D. Most of the material in Points of Light was developed in my GURPS Fantasy Game that I ran for 20 years (since 1987) Multiply any levels by 20 points and apply the closest template to get what I used for my own campaign. For example Rog6 would be one of the Rouge templates and the character would have a 120 pts. Some people use 25 points per level. For certain monsters 20 per HD will also get roughly what I used.

Rob Conley

Quote:
0913 Sam’s Landing (Hamlet) This small hamlet of mud huts is the marshalling area for Baron Beldon’s raids on the trade caravan passing between Westguard and Bolzak. There are usually several dozen canoes and a handful of barges pulled onto shore at any time. In the center of the hamlet is the Green Frog Inn, where Tom Lodon (Rog6) rules the thugs and pirates of Sam’s Landing with an iron fist. Nailed to a post next to his “throne” is the shriveled head of Sam Dalton, the former chief of the hamlet. Over 40 pirates and raiders live in the hamlet, along with a dozen women, and twenty slaves to tend potatoes patches. A good portion of the crop is used to brew Silver Lightning, a type of hard liquor. A dozen wererats (1 HD) live on the outskirts of town and are used as scouts on raids.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
robertsconley

Points of Light is available here.

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=GMG4380

Much of the concepts and lands in Points of Light were developed from my GURPS Fantasy Campaign. While what few stats are mostly D&D compatible multiply the level by 20 to get the point value I used for the GURPS Fantasy Campaign.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Isn't "Points of Light" the name of the new D&D "default" game setting? Is this related?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
robertsconley

Points of Light comes from an article by Rich Baker of WoTC.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20070829a

It is the default assumption of the campaign world D&D presents in the books and modules it published.

However it just a catchy term for a concept that been around since the beginnings of our hobby. Wilderlands of High Fantasy by Judges Guild is a good example. The early history of Yrth just after the Banestorm is "Points of Light" setting.

Basically my "Points of Light" is a product that present a mini-setting that are suitable for DMs to drop into their campaign. The idea is that by using a numbered hex grid with keyed locale you can present a lot of information in a usable format.

I been a GURPS GM since 1987 and within the past 5 years started writing professionally for the RPG market. However most of my opportunities been with D20/D&D. When I proposed this project I expected it would be picked up for 4th edition or D20. But as it turned out everything got screwed up on wizard's end so Joesph Goodman accepted it as a generic fantasy product. However since "Points of Light" isn't a trademark and we do want to have some appeal to the largest market "Points of Light" was picked as the title.

Being generic fantasy meant I could put in elements that would appeal to GM of my favorite RPG, GURPS. The Swamps of Acheron is lifted almost directly from my GURPS Campaign, Borderlands is original but would very much fit into my fantasy campaign.

So I posted here hoping some GURPS GMs will find this useful.

Rob Conley
Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Boris the Bagger

I picked up a copy of Points of Light last week. I knew it was a generic system basic, but didn't know much else about it. I initially got it because the maps were fantastic. I can tell Mr. Conley must be an avid Judges Guild fan. I let it sit in the stack of the other new products released since Gen Con. When I did get around to reading it I thought it was one of the best products I've seen in a while. Tons of information in an easy to find format. I kept a notebook beside me as I read because I kept getting interesting ideas to use this product and adventure hooks for my gaming group. I was glad to see Mr. Conley posted here since GURPs is my game of choice. Looking forward to see what else you develop. Is there anything you have slated?
Boris the Bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 AM   #7
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley
(...)

Being generic fantasy meant I could put in elements that would appeal to GM of my favorite RPG, GURPS. The Swamps of Acheron is lifted almost directly from my GURPS Campaign, Borderlands is original but would very much fit into my fantasy campaign.

So I posted here hoping some GURPS GMs will find this useful.
I just picked my Points of Light "copy" from e23, because surely I can use a great deal of it. And you are a GURPS GM and a supporter of the Dungeon Fantasy line so maybe something can have been written not only with D&D 4 in mind, containing then some material completely in line with my interests.

BTW, I would like to learn more from your style/design (including mapping), so this is a good opportunity for me in that sense.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
robertsconley

I appreciate the purchase.

My initial presentation to Goodman Games was titled "Lands of Adventure". With the Rich Baker article on "Points of Light" being published several of the lands fit Baker's description (Wildland, Southland). A check found that "Points of Light" is not a trademark or part of any WoTC so the title of the series was changed to "Points of Light". The reality of the market means the more we appeal to the World's most popular RPG the better off we are.

The format doesn't allow for much in the way of stats. The result is something that would appeal to any fantasy RPGs that can use D&D tropes. As long as they know about it.

I do intend on submitting something to Pyramid specifically for GURPS this fall. I have several ideas. The two leading are a section of Yrth or a original Dungeon Fantasy setting.

Again thanks

Rob Conley

Last edited by robertsconley; 08-29-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #9
Graham

I second demonsbane with regard to the maps, they are excellent. What was used to produce them?

Graham (aka Spyke)
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #10
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley
II do intend on submitting something to Pyramid specifically for GURPS this fall. I have several ideas. The two leading are a section of Yrth or a original Dungeon Fantasy setting.
I would love to see a contribution yours for the Dungeon Fantasy line, in Pyramid or in e23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
I second demonsbane with regard to the maps, they are excellent. What was used to produce them?

Graham (aka Spyke)
[whisper]
Exactly. We need to strip down Robert of all its mapping secrets!!
[/whisper]

LOL

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, maps