Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2007, 04:46 AM   #31
Rupert

Default Re: Some standard DnD-style humanoids in GURPS

Actually, D&D trolls can be drowned, suffocated, starved, or poisoned to death - these kill by means other than damage, so regeneration won't stop them.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #32
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
I think trolls would qualify for Social Stigma (Monster) [-15].
Most if not all of the races in the thread would, but I deliberately left it and various Appearance related traits out because they do tend to be relative - and also largely irrelevant if you're using them as cannon-fodder.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #33
Hanuman47

Very nice work! I have only the tiniest of quibbles: I don't think any level of Cowardice is appropriate for Hobgoblins. They're more disciplined and militaristic than their goblin kin. A bit of Bully or even Sense of Duty might be an appropriate substitute.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #34
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Most if not all of the races in the thread would, but I deliberately left it and various Appearance related traits out because they do tend to be relative - and also largely irrelevant if you're using them as cannon-fodder.
Unless the campaign is troll-centric I think they're always going to be 'monsters', even if your game centres around orcs and bugbears - it's not like trolls are fussy about what they eat, or care even a little about the stuff of civilisation.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #35
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Personally, I think anything large, strong and well armed should be a "monster". Even if it doesn't have some inherent reason to kill you. A gold dragon is a "monster", as is a Tiger, Troll or Golem. Not all of them are going to try to kill you, but they are all frikken scary.

It's alot like heavy machinery. You may not be much bothered by a landmower, but a combine is going to scare the crap outta most people.
Verjigorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #36
AstralRunner

Quote:
Actually, D&D trolls can be drowned, suffocated, starved, or poisoned to death - these kill by means other than damage, so regeneration won't stop them.
Ahh, that is true. So I guess we would need Unkillable 2 with a LOT of Achilles' Heels in order to properly capture the "You will never be able to kill it with a plain sword no matter how fast and hard you stab it" thing they have going.

Though of course this only matters if you need trolls as enemies, allies, or PCs. Otherwise point total can be ignored and you can just roll with what you know should happen.
AstralRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #37
Verjigorm

Why not give them lots of HTK and high HT. A combo of that to about 20ish should make a troll pretty much impossible to kill. Throw in some kind of injury tolerance, and then with a trolls rapid regeneration, it'll be pretty hard to keep them down.

I never worried too much about fire with trolls. Whack'em with a greatsword untill they drop, then coup de grace them with a torch. Works wonders.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:06 AM   #38
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Unless the campaign is troll-centric I think they're always going to be 'monsters', even if your game centres around orcs and bugbears - it's not like trolls are fussy about what they eat, or care even a little about the stuff of civilisation.
The AD&D 2nd ed. had some interesting cultural input about trolls. I remember how proper politeness required a large bite hello with an, "Eh. It'll grow back." It's not their fault that most creatures took undue offense.
Like sharks they inspected things by eating part of it. Again, not their fault that most property owners took offense to losing part of their wagons, cows, or children.
The 3rd ed. stuff seems quite a bit more morbid with respect with trolls. Parents bite off toddlers' limbs to show them that life and regeneration is painful and not to be wusses.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:26 AM   #39
Ruinous

Very good, I will find these monstrous dudes very useful indeed. Good Job!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #40
Verjigorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
The AD&D 2nd ed. had some interesting cultural input about trolls. I remember how proper politeness required a large bite hello with an, "Eh. It'll grow back." It's not their fault that most creatures took undue offense.
Like sharks they inspected things by eating part of it. Again, not their fault that most property owners took offense to losing part of their wagons, cows, or children.
The 3rd ed. stuff seems quite a bit more morbid with respect with trolls. Parents bite off toddlers' limbs to show them that life and regeneration is painful and not to be wusses.
Where's that from? I don't remember trolls beign described as much more than appetites.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, monsters