Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2018, 01:53 AM   #1
scc

Default [DF] Sewer Monsters

When I read the entry for Albino Alligators in MH4 I realized that they would be a great monster for to have adventurers fight in a sewer, and things have snowballed from there a bit.

What I'm after at this point is suggestions for monsters that might be found in a cities 'sewer' system to have adventurers fight as part of an initiation into the Adventurers Guild. The idea is they have to go done into this cities underbelly and find and kill some monsters until they find something shiny to bring back as proof of their accomplishment.

So far the list is Albino Alligators, anything of the slime type, and I can't forget about the possibility of rats. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else that fits? (There are several monsters that could be found in such an environment, but I want ones that make sense.)

I also think that an equipment selection test is something that might be interesting to have, about apart from some anti-toxin what might be options for them to pick?

Finally any suggestions for what they might find? I'm thinking that a small cache of coins containing a single scale from a suit of armor that is enchanted to provide some minor effect, and minor items of jewellery are both options, any suggestions?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:12 AM   #2
dcarson

Default Re: [DF] Sewer Monsters

Sewer serpents, giant glowing rats, albino squid. http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060501
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:37 AM   #3
tbone

Orcses, precious. Because their HT and resistance to disease (even stronger resistance in DFRPG, I think) makes sewers a place where orcs can spend time doing nasty stuff, without pesky humans dropping in. Orcs could be scouts sneaking into the city, escaped prisoners sneaking out, or bandits/refugees/whatever holing up for a while.

They're not very exotic, I know, but they could have knowledge of the sewers that PCs need, or could ask the PCs' help in battling some nasty monster blocking their way out.

Oh, and swamp trolls. The regenerating D&D kind. They'd love the sewer environment, and they won't have to fear fire much with all that water down there,

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:38 AM   #4
a humble lich

Giant Cockroaches, Flesh Eating Worms, Giant Flesh Eating Worms, Excrement Elementals.

As for things to find, anything lost or thrown away could end in the sewer, from the loose change that fell out of a pocket to the engagement ring thrown away after her fiancé was found with another girl. Also thieves, smugglers, and other shady characters could use the sewers to hide stashes, although stealing from the Thieves Guild might be a bad idea.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:52 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

A guardsman named Elron hiring adventurers to go find his missing daughter Lucie... bonus points if after bringing him evidence of her death by a gelatinous cube, he's out hiring the next day to find his other missing daughter...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:52 AM   #6
Daigoro

There's the croc mon-sewer, spawned as the offspring of a crocodile and a wizard's discarded ham and cheese toastie.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #7
Devil_Dante

what about some warhammer fantasy?
https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Skavenblight

you can read some lore here.
Skaven are rat men, living in the sewers sistems of towns, doing "planes" and when they are ready, they invade and spread desease. You can build some nasty adventures down there
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
Humabout

Otyughs, Toxifiers, and Elder Thing (cultists are always summoning the darned things down there), and for that matter Elder Spawn cultists, wererats, ratmen, rats, giant rats, dire rats, terrible rats, dire terrible rats (there's a theme there), anything Spider, especially with Walk on Liquid (water spiders anyone?) - and dont forget to Bind the PCs in water deep enough to drown in!

Other stuff might include giant centipedes, snakes, snakemen, lizardfolk, shocker lizards, bloated zombies, skeletons, foetid water elementals, sewage golems, will-o-wisps, ghosts, summoned demons, etc.

If I think of more, I'll post them later.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
Tinman

One of my favorites for this is from GURPS "Black Ops": the Sewer Fluke p.92.
The Sewer Fluke is essentially an alligator sized centipede.
Black Ops has all sorts of bus, ect... that would fit starting on p91.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
A guardsman named Elron hiring adventurers to go find his missing daughter Lucie... bonus points if after bringing him evidence of her death by a gelatinous cube, he's out hiring the next day to find his other missing daughter...
Thanks for the memory !
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewer monster, sewers