Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2018, 05:37 AM   #31
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Can Proteus Virus do gengineering that is described in

I imagine that would be covered under adding new ones. The reason why it is TL 10 is probably because of the difficulty of adding complex characteristics rather than single genes.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #32
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
In p.BT181 there says

But does it mean the gengeneering in GURPS Bio-Tech Chapter 2 is able to already-born creatures? There's no descriptions about that.
Yes. It's meant to represent functional gene therapy. This is something they're Very! carefully working with now. It isn't anywhere like ready for prime time. But is seventy or eighty years it will probably be commonplace.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #33
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Yes. It's meant to represent functional gene therapy. This is something they're Very! carefully working with now. It isn't anywhere like ready for prime time. But is seventy or eighty years it will probably be commonplace.
Yes, but the important distiction in terms of Bio-tech is that the "gene therapy' process being discussed can make changes to a living functioning organism but those changes are not hereditary and will not be passed on to offspring.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #34
AlexanderHowl

It would not be that much of a stretch to changes gametes as well as other cells. In fact, you can theoretically do it now, though the process would be inexact and messy.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #35
Ulzgoroth

Not going to pretend I'm totally on top of the state of the art, but my impression is that you can expect modern gene therapy to leave a significant fraction of target cells untouched. Which is okay for many medical purposes, but would be a bit less satisfactory as an attempted adult germ-line rewrite.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #36
AlexanderHowl

Well, not at TL8, but TL9 or TL10 should be able to do the gene editing with targeted viruses. As long as the immune system does not reject the cell, as long as the cell does not die, and as long as the cell does not go cancerous, it should be fine (expect tens of thousands of dead lab rats in the process though). A real interesting adventure would involve the characters chasing a mad scientist type that uses gamete editing to remove genetic defects from the germline of prospective parents without doing proper testing...
Old 12-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #37
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
GURPS Bio-Tech Chapter 2, Human Genetic Engineering?
Or gengineering that things for already-born human needs Chrysalis Machine?
Actually a chrysalis machine uses a proteus virus when it does such things. The thing about the Machine is that it keeps the subject alive when going through changes that would reasonably kill the victim part through the transformation.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:53 AM   #38
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Actually a chrysalis machine uses a proteus virus when it does such things. The thing about the Machine is that it keeps the subject alive when going through changes that would reasonably kill the victim part through the transformation.
Well, I see.
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dna, genetic restructuring