Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #41
Celti

Default Re: Pyramid #3/63: Infinite Worlds II

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I would say no to an entire universe simply because the size is infinite, sure we know how far the "known" universe stretches to, but its bigger than that!

Or charge "-1/12".
The universe is almost certainly not infinite according to most recent theories, incrementally backed by evidence from various experiments.

Further, having an entire universe isn't dramatically more useful than just, say, a galaxy. Especially in a game focused on world-jumping it's no more than a background note.

Thirdly, this is a thought experiment; there's no reason to arbitrarily declare "no".
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #42
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
So while discussing various Infinite Worlds subjects with my gaming group, a question came up: how many levels of Larger Size do you need to get your own pocket universe, complete with galaxies, star systems, planets, and people?

This came up because one character has Jumper as a Wildcard Power and can afford fifty-six levels of Larger Size.

ETA: Hm, if one uses The Arithmetic of Rank as a sort of guideline, that'd be 1e36 subordinates. Is that enough to claim an entire universe?
Probably (GMs' discretion of course). That's why I mentioned higher levels of Status. I wanted Social Engineering to be specifically used in this instance for bigger and bigger levels.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:46 PM   #43
zoncxs

Quote:
The universe is almost certainly not infinite according to most recent theories, incrementally backed by evidence from various experiments.

Further, having an entire universe isn't dramatically more useful than just, say, a galaxy. Especially in a game focused on world-jumping it's no more than a background note.

Thirdly, this is a thought experiment; there's no reason to arbitrarily declare "no".
You would have to define what the edge would be then, what happens at it. I would be OK with a player purchasing it.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 AM   #44
Edges

Quote:
Ah, no. The jury is still out on whether the universe is infinite or finite.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #45
Michael Thayne

If people will forgive a minor bit of thread-necromancy: I'm curious about the decision to include Physical, +100% in the build for Sorcery. I think "spells" could be plausibly justified as mental traits, even if they have physical effects, especially since it seems to be established that Modular Abilities (Psionics) covers advantages that are normally physical—makes Sorcery seems like a rather bad deal in contrast.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #46
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
If people will forgive a minor bit of thread-necromancy: I'm curious about the decision to include Physical, +100% in the build for Sorcery. I think "spells" could be plausibly justified as mental traits, even if they have physical effects, especially since it seems to be established that Modular Abilities (Psionics) covers advantages that are normally physical—makes Sorcery seems like a rather bad deal in contrast.
I didn't design it (I'm currently toying around with it and I'll probably use a modified version in my campaign), but I think this is a purely mechanical thing. Traits that are designated in the Basic Set. For example, Hard to Subdue is a Physical trait - pure and simple. To emulate such traits you need the Physical enhancement on your Modular Abilities. This is because Modular Abilities are built that way and how the characters traits are organized in GURPS. Basically, the effect might be purely mental - but what it does isn't.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:45 AM   #47
PK

Quote:
Some abilities -- throwing an exploding fireball, growing to five times your normal size, transforming into a body of water, etc. -- are arguably impossible to justify as mental. Considering that these are all things spells can do, it's definitely necessary to include Physical.

As far as I know, your counterexample doesn't actually exist; I know of no canonical build of Modular Abilities (Psionic, -10%) that lacks the Physical limitation but allows for clearly physical abilities. GURPS Psionic Powers has two abilities that are built with Modular Abilities: Seekersense (which is limited to Detect) and Borrow Skill (which is limited to skills).

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #48
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Some abilities -- throwing an exploding fireball, growing to five times your normal size, transforming into a body of water, etc. -- are arguably impossible to justify as mental. Considering that these are all things spells can do, it's definitely necessary to include Physical.

As far as I know, your counterexample doesn't actually exist; I know of no canonical build of Modular Abilities (Psionic, -10%) that lacks the Physical limitation but allows for clearly physical abilities. GURPS Psionic Powers has two abilities that are built with Modular Abilities: Seekersense (which is limited to Detect) and Borrow Skill (which is limited to skills).
I'm thinking particularly of the recommendation in Psionic Campaigns that "do anything" psis be modeled with "Cosmic Power (Limited Scope, Psi, -10%)." This isn't explicit, but I assume this was intended to cover things like various psi abilities based on DR (PK Shield and so on), even though officially in Basic DR is a strictly physical ability.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #49
Celti

Quote:
I'm thinking particularly of the recommendation in Psionic Campaigns that "do anything" psis be modeled with "Cosmic Power (Limited Scope, Psi, -10%)." This isn't explicit, but I assume this was intended to cover things like various psi abilities based on DR (PK Shield and so on), even though officially in Basic DR is a strictly physical ability.
I don't think the statement in Psionic Campaigns is at all meant to be a complete stat-line, just a guideline for the ability you should be using.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #50
PK

Quote:
I don't think the statement in Psionic Campaigns is at all meant to be a complete stat-line, just a guideline for the ability you should be using.
Yeah, that wasn't a complete write-up! It was merely pointing you in the right direction to start creating an appropriate MA-based ability, with a single important limitation listed so that the reader would know what its appropriate value was. A complete write-up would've looked like the premade examples in Powers or Psionic Powers, not a simple inline description like that.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, pyramid 3/63, pyramid issues